What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another one of my plants just abruptly died

ChenBenTz

I really don't get this. All the other plants in the hydro system are perfectly fine and happy, but this one plant just decides to die.

bQ6bVXq.jpg

Anyone have any idea why?

G

ganjygav

Look at bit over fed to me the ones that are still alive with a few other issues probably related to over feeding.
Not wanting to upset you but the others will probably follow the same path as the dead plant. They do not look happy.

ChenBenTz

need a lot more info than that but looking at your plants they do not seem fine and happy to me...On the good side maybe put a photo on this link sorry I could not be more positive than that ...

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=276325&page=19

Isn't it cheating to put a dead plant up on the "worst looking plants" thread?

The rest of the plants do look a lot better (it's a 360 grow), but yeah, I just noticed they get better gradually. Why would that be?

Look at bit over fed to me the ones that are still alive with a few other issues probably related to over feeding.

Yeah, it could also be a pH issue since this grow is part of a comparison I'm doing with soft water vs. hard water. This is hard water and its pH rises a lot more quickly.

Not wanting to upset you but the others will probably follow the same path as the dead plant. They do not look happy.

Maybe, but it's just odd how the one next to the pump just died like that..

troutman

Seed Whore
The plant to the left looks like it's leaves are hurting as well.

Start by giving us the pH, temp, humidity, nutrient feedings, possible pest issues.

What about a picture of the other plants ASAP.

ChenBenTz

The plant to the left looks like it's leaves are hurting as well.

Start by giving us the pH, temp, humidity, nutrient feedings, possible pest issues.

What about a picture of the other plants ASAP.

No pests.

pH of 5.8 (obviously), but since it's hard water it sometimes rises without check.

Nutrients are GHE hard water (as per their feed schedule).

Temps are a bit hot but the soft water plants are doing much better.

Don't check humidity because I have no way of altering it.

troutman

Seed Whore
There are passive ways to increase humidity if you don't want a humidifier.

Trays full of wet pebbles or clay pellets will raise it.

dwiz415

What do the roots look like? Does the ph fluctuate dramatically (4-5)? I would say root issues and start to sterilise the root system,water ect...flush. Then plain water for a day or two to see if any changes take place. Run some tea soon as possible as well.

G

ganjygav

I grow soil and know nothing of hydro. But them spots are something I dealt with for a long time. It turns out to be over fert. Mine would start with tiny white spots and burnt tips. After a couple more weeks nearly all fan leaves would be dead and falling off.
I'm in hardwater and what I found was all the crap in the water and then adding food at recommended dosage was overdosing the plants.
I've cut my feeding to 70% of recommended schedule dose in veg. In 2nd week of flower I go to 80% and on week 4 I increase to 90%.
It's a lot easier on plants,this grow is coming on perfect. No spots ,not even a burnt leaf tip.
Try lower dose, the dead plant I have no idea what could have caused that devastation.

paper thorn

Veteran
i don't think compost tea in hydro will help.
every time i've had a plant die in hydro it was root rot.

did the leaves all go limp before it dried up?
if so root rot.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
gonna agree with paper thorn, abrupt death is always a pathogen, whether its root-rot based or something inside the plant itself.

you'll want to do a strong flush with peroxide or a hydroponic disinfectant like dutchmaster zone, UC roots etc...

also invest in a chiller or switch propagation methods, this will keep happening once it starts.

ChenBenTz

So, I removed the plant and the one next to it.

The roots were rotten but that's probably because I left it there after it died to take photos.

I flushed the plants. Hopefully the oxygen from the air stones clean the water that remains.