What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Short term trades in the stock market •$$$$$•

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
for a daytrade today, I got into SD at 9.97 and rode it up to 10.20. I should have held it all day as it looks that its going to make new highs. (previous highs at 10.43)

M

Mountain

ACI is a decent play I think. It's not the strongest in the group but a strong group so it should ride the others coattails a bit. The leaders are AHGP, ARLP, WLT, BTU and YZH. PUDA is kind of a mess. I remember ACI from back in 2000.

zenoonez

Veteran
I stayed out today, nothing popping for my tastes. Thats fine though, at least I will have a day trade for Monday.

M

Mountain

Obama now saying Gaddafi has to go.

Near the close on Friday I put in a big order for some calls on an oil stock and got 1 contract filled. I waited about 15 minutes too long it seems. The stock basically moved 1% in 15 minutes yet the calls I was looking at moved 15% in that same time frame. Still thought I was cool with my order at market price but the market makers wouldn't comply with my last minute attempted buy.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
On the subject of Coal...I'm looking at KOL - Market Vectors-Coal ETF

Just reading up on it..Seems The Commodities Boom Of 2011: Coal Will Be The New Gold (KOL, PKOL, CLF, CLM)..A new article.Well IMO Silver kicking butt outperforming gold anyways.

Something to keep a keen eye on about Coal.

I know CLF looks good out there since a good deal was made on the 17th and makes the stock not overvalue.

How about that ?? MMG at 1.06 now from 1.00. It's getting scary now.A just a tad of Bullish market makes this stock go tick,tick. Getting out at 1.09 soon.

JOYG is going to report on Wednesday and it will show the direction on Coal out there.If it goes up..it may take WLT with it. :bump:

M

Mountain

KOL is looking pretty darn good compared to individual coal company issues. A bit of a bullish crossover on Friday and the 50 is still in an uptrend compared to ACI or WTL and probably the leaders in the coal group keeping the general trend for the group positive. The leaders look a bit extended and/or more difficult for a reasonable entry. CLF is into a more than just coal...iron ore. VALE is more a pure iron ore play.

zenoonez

Veteran
Didn't do enough research over the weekend. Not sure what to expect this morning but lets see if there is anything to jump on today. Good luck everyone.

PS: What does everyone think? Gold and Oil up today on Libya? Oil up high enough to startle the market?

M

Mountain

Gold and Oil up today on Libya?
Well I think the market has probably priced in any, or at least most of, potential problems with Libya. I was expecting a general pop this morning. I don't see what will make oil pop much more at this point. Hearing chatter that commodities in general are up for a pullback but been hearing that about the stock market for awhile...lol.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Looks like salesforce(CRM) is going to break out this morning.

That triple top near $150 on the chart for CRM i posted, got tested quickly just last week & now pulled back another 9pts today . Double & triple tops very powerful pivots signals a stock is priced to perfection make great short entries /points ....trading around $129 now .

drm.png

NFLX another high flyer that got way overbought now come back down
to earth & shed 40pts
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=NFLX&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p69439203422

M

Mountain

I'm thinking NFXL will have some problems this time around at it's 50 especially if the general market takes a hit. Defensive stocks are in favor today.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I thought it was a strange day in the markets today, the S&P was up and all the commentators were talking about how good the market was doing today, but when you look at all the different sectors 2/3 of each sector was in the red and the stocks that were in the red weren't just a little down more like 2-3%. And what was with that showdown in the pit at the close. Weird day overall, I thought.

M

Mountain

I thought it was a strange day in the markets today

Weird day overall, I thought.
Dude...for whatever it's worth I agree. I looked around today and didn't see much of anything I liked developing and if anything the contrary across the market. I'm a bull by nature but really thinking short right here. In general not a lot to like here...IMO.

zenoonez

Veteran
I have to echo you guys, I saw a couple stocks moving but nothing I felt confident in. It felt like any gains could be erased in a second. Very tentative day overall. I guess we will see what tomorrow brings. Daddy needs a new pair of shoes! Oh and the rent! Lol.

M

Mountain

Very tentative day overall. I guess we will see what tomorrow brings. Daddy needs a new pair of shoes! Oh and the rent! Lol.
Just one word...SHORT!!! LOL! I dunno man...something just does not feel right and I know that's not logical at all. I was watching a basket of stocks this morning and thought OK but later in the day things were just not computing quite right.

We'll see...it's fun to speculate and try and anticipate! When the bottom falls out it happens pretty fast. All of a sudden the trap door opens. Some warning signs in leading stocks but others OK but still not great. A few recently violated their 50's and could be an indicator.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
On a good note, I did have a good day trade, CDE, bought at 30.90 and sold at 31.52. I shouldn't have been so quick to get out because it continuted on up to 31.82 or so.

ACI was popping on the opening and I considered getting out at a +4.2%, but I checked out the daily and thought it would probably come back to make new highs today. Nope, it dropped off and was in the negative for most of the day and gained a little ground before the close, 1% below the high, where I was considering getting out.

My other 3 positions got totally F'ed today.

zenoonez

Veteran
I need to take a page from Caveman and pick a couple of conservative options for each day instead of trying to pursue volatility. Juggling knives is fun sometimes but sometimes I would rather have a safe + 2-3% bet.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Not so good day today, but I made another good day trade, SONS in at 3.75 and out at 3.84 for a +2.4%. I'm really starting to build some confidence with this method and I also really like how it doesn't seem to be effected by the daily mood of the market. Which means I'm not emotionally effected by the mood/overall movement of the market. A negative day will put a damper on my mood at the close. The last 3 trades using this method averaged +2.3%, thats 6.6% over 3 days/trades, not too shabby I'd say. We'll see how long this consistency lasts, before now its been pretty back and forth.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
keep in mind that SONS has near 280mil float , not too great a short interest
http://shortsqueeze.com/shortinterest/stock/SONS.htm

SONS had nice revenue news if u were holding & could pop just a little higher but this move with that float tacks on alot of market cap with every $1 increase in SONS stock equaling roughly $270mil ....so this will be just as good a money maker playing from the short side too if it pops again
http://blogs.forbes.com/ericsavitz/...-maker-crushes-q4-estimates/?partner=yahootix

SONS chart in the overbought now with this move but could do a lil more & then be looking to short that pop for the pullback/profitakers . Nice news tho for the VOIP maker ...but if it pops again then one could paly it short.
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=SONS&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p91915829667

SIRI

*One of the best longs , then shorts ever, was SIRI... when it bid up on the Howard Stern move few years back when it ran up to just over $7 . SIRI has a float of 4BIL shares with 1/4Bil shares short for even around $1.78 a share SIRI's market cap is around $7Bil . At $7 a share this stock back then was a screaming short with a cap of $28BIL ...not even Howard Stern was worth even a 1/4 of that though he made out like a bandit & got $200mil in stock just for signing .
http://shortsqueeze.com/?symbol=siri

M

Mountain

Was expecting the market to do OK early due to how things finished yesterday then had no idea what was gonna happen afterward and not surprised it's taking a dump on higher volume...much higher than yesterdays up day on up volume. Was gonna look at puts on QQQQ but overslept...lol! $1 swing so far...ooops. Looking at the NASDAQ not much of a pop of it's 50 and selling back towards it hard...not a good sign.

Hey Sam...if you find something that works and 'only' picking up a few % a day then awesome. The turtle wins the race in the long run. If you got a decent little bull program going look at developing a bear program. Part of it is just switching things upside down but a more to it than that. Chris Manning told me shorting is a bit more difficult than just reversing things.

Thing about a short is you can only make 100% max...ha ha.

Latest posts

Latest posts