What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I suck at cloning. That's not a question but this is

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
it could well not make any difference, specially when i think about the clones that i left in the jug of tap water, they were only cut with sizzors, no 45 degree cut with a razor blade under water, nor where they given a dip in the rooting solution, but they still rooted very well. actually have another jug with some left overs that didnt fit in the tray standing in the cloning shelf. will be fun to see if they all do it, or if it was that chocolope that rooted so easy.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
So looking today, it seems like 3 of them in the ice tray vermiculite are doing beautiful. Standing up straight and awesome. 3 of them are a loss I think, already fallen over. 1 of them I can't tell because I cut it so short, it seems to be fine though.

MrBungle

My current batch of clones were subject to no power for the pump for 8 hours today.... I checked cutting sites and a few actually rooted with the water off...

Easy7

Veteran
Cutting down on nitrogen before taking cuttings is also advised. Not to a fade but not super rich either.

Im gonna take a bunch of cuttings today or tomorrow. Ill take pix of how i do it and post here. My way isnt the definitive way. I have just had good results.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
here my present batch of clones, they are 6 day in so far and first ones showing roots

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 19

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Much love to everybody posting. Still got 4 up. 3 of them were total loss. 3 of them still lookin really good. 1 of them still iffy.
gaiusmarius your clones look bigger than what I took. What do those have like 4 nodes total? I was just taking 2 node clones. Cutting right above the 3rd node so the side branches would branch out, then cutting right below the second node to dip into rooter.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
here my present batch of clones, they are 6 day in so far and first ones showing roots

What lights do you have in that chamber ? I just lay a 4 Foot 32W fluro on top of the bins.

I have the same set up, 2 clear bins. I didn't put holes in the lids, but just remove them to air it out 2 times per day until they start drooping then I put the lid back on.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Much love to everybody posting. Still got 4 up. 3 of them were total loss. 3 of them still lookin really good. 1 of them still iffy.
gaiusmarius your clones look bigger than what I took. What do those have like 4 nodes total? I was just taking 2 node clones. Cutting right above the 3rd node so the side branches would branch out, then cutting right below the second node to dip into rooter.

You don't mind if I tag along with you here Agent? Seems we were going through a rough patch at the same time.

So question for everyone I just pulled out 8 cuttings on Day 27 and it was slimey and rotting at the base tip of the stem. This is how my patience gets repaid.

I re-cut 1 inch off and reinserted, might as well give em another shot, they don't look too bad on the top so. Im in rockwell cubes.
I can take pictures of my setup if needed to help me correct my environment.

Is this from

a) media too wet?
B) Temperature too high
C) cutting sitting too long
D)Humidity too high for too long / no fresh air or venting or air exchange

***Edit****

Don't worry about trying to help me guys, I just remembered the JJscorpio Sticky. I havent read it yet, so let me get through those 70 pages and if I can't get it figured out by then I will be back.

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yeah i have 1 neon tube and 1 led neon tube, both using the normal cold white light. i used to put the light over the box, but i have better results with a bit more distance between the bulbs and the cloning box, i also use that space to keep clones in 5 by 5 cubes to pre veg them. i highly recommend getting some of those brown easy pads, they work much better for me then rock wool for cloning, even though i put them in rock wool cubes to further veg them.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
yeah i have 1 neon tube and 1 led neon tube, both using the normal cold white light. i used to put the light over the box, but i have better results with a bit more distance between the bulbs and the cloning box, i also use that space to keep clones in 5 by 5 cubes to pre veg them. i highly recommend getting some of those brown easy pads, they work much better for me then rock wool for cloning, even though i put them in rock wool cubes to further veg them.
I looked I can't find them here in the US. All the ebay listings don't ship here that I saw.

growingcrazy

After reading through here I have a couple questions for your AP...

What does the mom look like that you are taking cuts from? New soft tissue cuttings have a higher failure rate, as do cutting low in P.

Do you have big ass hands? I have had a guy that couldn't keep clones alive to save his life...he was crushing the stems when he was holding them during the cut from mom...his wife took over cloning duties.

This is my routine for rapid rooters...

1. cut clone
2. dip in clonex gel
3. dip in cloning powder
4. insert into rapid rooter straight from bag
5. put under dome with a very fine quick mist
6. cover dome with upside down 1020 tray (black) and set off to the side of veg lamp
7. rotate tray daily
8. remove lid after 6-7 days

At this point roots will be showing from a few. I feed them all with a tsp or two of veg nutrient solution, usually fish hydrolysate.

Your biggest key is moisture if your not crushing the stems. Other than that try the clones into gel first and into powder second. That may get you on track.

MrBungle

gel and powder? I guess whatever makes them pretty white locks pop....

I always felt like the slightest film of powder was the best way to go, when I used powder.. and the gel was just a big mess for me, I still have a bottle of olivia's that's close to brand new 10 years ago... does that stuff go bad?

My clones from the 8 hour power outage have all rooted, but the upper half of the plants took a lil beating... I find once they have roots, get transplanted, and uptake begins, they snap right back to full health almost over night

MrBungle

Before I switched to water I was using the jiffy 7 expandable pucks.. They are cheap and readily available till winter time around here..

Try lightly scraping the skin an inch around the cut site before you dip it in the powder.. knock off excess powder and put it in the rooter... gotta be careful to not knock the powder off the stem as you stick it in....

Another thing you may want to try is sacrificing one of your rooter plugs to pull bits off, and stick in the hole of the root plug you are using, to keep the cutting in place.. So it doesn't roll around in its new home... I've seen folks that use rockwool do this.. maybe it will help? if it makes sense? lol

growingcrazy

My personal medium of choice is straight soil. screen through a 1/4" screen and fill cell trays.

Dip a razor blade in alcohol to sterilize, I hold it between my lips after that until I am done taking cuts. Each strain gets a cup of aloe and water to soak in until I have taken all my cuts... then to medium for them all.

No messing around with cuts for me. I find the less dicking around I do, the better.

MrBungle

I usually will only use a single edge razor for 5-6 cuts.. you can see each cut mark on the razor, so I try to use a new part of the razor for each cut, then a fresh new razor.... always wipe off the razor when they are brand new for manufacturing oil...

I have used 1 razor or clean scissors for the initial cuts off the plant, and a fresh razor for the final cut in the past.. that works too....

I just do it all at once to get it over with... it works well enough... but I probably don't take as many cuts either