What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cocopeat Fertigation Schedule

c2anupam

Hi,

I am in a process to setup cocopeat soilless setup Cucumber and Tomato details are as below :

8 liters open top bag filled with low EC cocopeat
2 LPH inline drip

Please suggest me the target nutrient PPM and per day per plant total nutrient requirement.

Also pls suggest the plain water requirement is there any?

I will divide that into multiple feed of 100 ml at a time .

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tomato feed is similar to cannabis. Unsure on cucumber but I think they take much less. You can google hydroponic vegetable feed parameters easily.

You do not give plain water to coco. Always feed. Read the stickied threads at the top of this subforum. The volume of water per plant per day will vary. I aim for 10-20% run off myself.

2011rex87

If I am not mistaken, 8 liters is just over 2 gallons. Can you send us a link or a picture of the pot? What is your ratio of peat to coco? Peat moss is acidic. On average, peat moss will reduce your root zone PH so you will want to adjust for this by checking runoff.

In my opinion, plain water is OK to use between feedings as long as the plain water is adjust for PH. Make sure your PH is always in range. What is your plain water like? Some plain water is 100-300ppm out of the tap or well. If you have R/O, you may want to add 1/4 strength nutes and adjust your PH and use that weak feed as your alternate between normal feedings. Some growers will use organics like kelp or humic acid supplements as their alternative between normal feedings but this could possibly cause issues in your drip system depending on the consistency. You don't want to clog your drip system either way. You want to avoid clogging your drop with too many heavy salt feedings without any alternative weak feedings or plain waterings.

Some examples of what you could end up doing...

Reservoir PPM is 300-500 in VEG depending on plant size. Feed this once or twice a day. Change your reservoir water every 3 days. When changing the water, use this opportunity to water with plain water (ph adjusted) or your weak alternative feed.

PH should remain consistent. You can gradually change it over time but do not fluctuate the PH suddenly.

PPM of your reservoir is going to be tied closely to the size of your plants. Smaller plants need less than large plants. Plants that are 3 feet tall with 8 main tops could be fed 800+ppm every other day. However, plants that are 3 inches tall with 1 main top should NOT be fed this much.

Absolem

Just my 2 cents.

If your are feeding coco or peat the incorrect individual nutrient ppms then measuring runoff seems pointless. I would think the the in going solution feed should first be looked at before deciphering what the runoff means.

2011rex87

Of course you need to know what's going in so you can make sense of what's coming out... TDS meter and PH meter(or strips/drops) required.

Absolem

Of course you need to know what's going in so you can make sense of what's coming out... TDS meter and PH meter(or strips/drops) required.

Using an EC meter is good. But it doesn't tell you the individual ppm of each nutrient element one is feeding their plants. You can have two nutrient brands reading 500 ppm but with vastly different ppm levels for each element.

For example

.........Nutrient A............................Nutrient B
N..........100.....................................125
P...........125.....................................75
K..........125.....................................100
Ca........100....................................125
Mg.........50......................................75

Each profile above is 500 ppm but will give vastly different growing results and different runoff results. Without knowing what each individual ppm level one is feeding their plants testing runoff won't be of any value.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Run off measurements vary too greatly to be of any use, beyond to show extremes.

SME (saturated media extract) and slurry are two simple and more accurate ways to test medium EC/pH.

Coco coir is sometimes refered to as cocopeat.

2011rex87

A runoff test is not going to solve all the world's problems... it is going to give us a little bit more information that we have now. The previous poster only commented on runoff because I said,

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Peat moss is acidic. On average, peat moss will reduce your root zone PH so you will want to adjust for this by checking runoff."

[/FONT]This was only said bsaed on the fact that the poster said CocoPeat in his opening post which could be taken to mean a mix of coco coir and peat moss.

As another poster believes the original poster meant Coco Coir when he said CocoPeat, but that is not yet confirmed.

So everyone relax.. :)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There's a lot of shit posting around here lately, apologies if it came off as abrasive. I tend to lean that way anyway.