What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MOLD!! (part 2)

smokedoja

just started week 7, and found a big brown chunk of mold that seems to like one of my biggest colas, just want to make sure im taking the right steps here...

so i cut the cola off, that was the only part affected, and im leaving the rest of the plant with all the unaffected branches to finish. then i put my dehumidifier in the room, and set the target RH% at 40%...its at 45% at the moment, but its only been running a few hours..

should a take a chance and let the other 11 plants finish? or should i harvest early...

darrmann

that humiditys not that high to be getting mold, anything under 50 is not much at all, I would watch them carefully and let them go, nothing worse then premature bud, chems arent flushed all the way out and will make your mj pop and spark.

burnt out og'er
Veteran
where is part one ?
And why didn't you just keep the issue in the one thread so folks could have the full details on your mold problem?

Most important to keep the dehumidifier running full time during the dark hours when the plants are putting out the most moisture through transpiration.
Having a fan running full time during the darkness is also very useful to help that wetness evaporate off the leaves and out of the buds as soon as possible.

ganja_hasi

natural mystic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
imo by 45% RH its almost impossible to have mould cause of humidity! check up your fertilizer
and the way you feed them ;)
good luck

burnt out og'er
Veteran
imo by 45% RH its almost impossible to have mould cause of humidity! check up your fertilizer
and the way you feed them ;)
good luck

Plants transpire a great deal of moisture during the dark hours.
So much in fact that the buds and colas will hold quite a bit of it, leading to mold problems, especially in enclosures and/or indoor grow rooms. Even worse yet in sealed room environments. It has little to do with the relative humidity in the room ganja hasi, but a lot to do with how long it takes for that transpired moisture to be evaporated out/off of the buds. In most cases this is how bud rot and pm problems begin.

ganja_hasi

natural mystic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Plants transpire a great deal of moisture during the dark hours.
So much in fact that the buds and colas will hold quite a bit of it, leading to mold problems, especially in enclosures and/or indoor grow rooms. Even worse yet in sealed room environments. It has little to do with the relative humidity in the room ganja hasi, but a lot to do with how long it takes for that transpired moisture to be evaporated out/off of the buds. In most cases this is how bud rot and pm problems begin.
absolutely right 10k , but i still believe that by such low RH rates, the air
in the room is dry, which means imo that helps out much the process that you
described above :)
in this sense and due to my own experience with some fertilizers,
i can also say that some flow stimulants or too much PK can also cause some mould probs.

:wave:

smokedoja

hey sorry for the delayed response, i cant remember why i made a pt 2, but im pretty sure
it was because pt1 was a year or two before.

There were multiple factors for my mold problems last time.
1) There was a bad storm and a little bit of water seeped into my basement, i was growing
on top of carpet, and the wet carpet seemed to put off alot of moisture in the air.

2)My dehumidifier wasnt running 24/7

3) Besides my exhaust fan I only had 1 weak oscillating fan

Im almost to week 3 and i want to be sure i dont get mold again, I have 4-5 oscillating fans,
a working dehumidifier that will be running 24/7, and no more wet carpet giving off moisture...

so should i set the fans to hit directly on my plants to ward off unwanted moisture between the buds?