What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any "Tokers Den" folks do Bonnaroo this year ???

burnt out og'er
Veteran
I've lived very nearby since it began happening several years ago, but I still haven't gone yet.

My kids and their friends never miss it though. :dance013:

Anyone do the roo this year ?

Last edited:

Molson

Buddy from HS worked it this year. Co-worker snatched a ticket and went, I should see him tomorrow at work matter of fact.

burnt out og'er
Veteran
Yea, it was a little early for me to ask.
It just ended tonight and I'd guess all who attended are a little too burnt out right now.
Looking forward to some pictures and party stories.

Unfortunately, I heard from my daughter that they found one person dead of heat stroke today :badday:

D

danimarie193

i cant say about this year but i have been a couple times before and it was hot as hell both times i went. said i would never go back because of the heat.

ItIsTime

these parties/concerts such as bonnaroo or jamboree in the hills etc are now being staked out by DEA, FBI, local law enforcement, etc....plainclothes and uniformed. going to these get togethers is a fun thing and can give you memories of all memories...but drugs are the main lure, and people get busted left and right. i'm too paranoid to go lol...

burnt out og'er
Veteran
these parties/concerts such as bonnaroo or jamboree in the hills etc are now being staked out by DEA, FBI, local law enforcement, etc....plainclothes and uniformed. going to these get togethers is a fun thing and can give you memories of all memories...but drugs are the main lure, and people get busted left and right. i'm too paranoid to go lol...

That's very true and what I hear about bonaroo all the time.

Maybe it's best for nobody to show their pictures for that reason.

But the party stories are always fun to read :party:

And what bands played etc ? :rtfo:

edit...moving thread back to wtf I put it in the first place ... the tokers den !

Last edited:

Malaria

i know dave matthews band played, but thats it. oh yeah and les claypool but dont know the lineup. ive never been to bonnaroo either for the same reasons. heard they have all types of leo all around, even on the way to the event, if you look like your going, your targeted

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I think my kids went, they were talking about it last time I saw them. City is too much stress for me to go and enjoy it, but I had my days, no regrets.
H

burnt out og'er
Veteran
I desire this thread to STAY in the tokers den.
Moving it back a second time TYVM

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
no id rather spend 500 bux on something else....

not to mention way to many cops there now, way to corporate, and so on and so on....

knew several people that were busted last year.

Tennessee state policecan suck my fucking dick!

burnt out og'er
Veteran
I'm just too old to put my old bones through that kind of outdoor sun and heat and deal with the huge crowds involved anymore. The leos are something that's at any kind of gigantic arts and music festival like this one so that's really nothing worth sweating about, but the heat damn all week it's been in the nineties with a "feels like 100" index.

They do need to do more to help people cope with the heat, so nor one person dies next time.
This year they had only one death, heat stroke, which is better than previous years and they had a misting tunnel people could walk thru to get a refreshing water misting cool off. Next year they need more of these cooling tunnel tents and more signs directing people where to find them.

Anyhow, heres one guys take on the experience... from the new yorker...

Waking Up at Bonnaroo
Posted by John Seabrook

I’m at Bonnaroo (BonnarOOOO! as the enthusiasts say), the four-day music and arts festival, which takes place on a seven-hundred-acre field in rural Tennessee. I’m writing this in a large white public tent next to a man who is lying face down on a hard plywood floor, snoring loudly. It’s still before ten in the morning, but it’s already unbelievably hot. This is a camping festival, and most of the eighty thousand attendees are spending the four days out of doors. The medical staff, who are in the next tent over from where I am now, are preparing for the worst. Somehow I managed to arrive here without a hat or any sunscreen, which are the two fundamentals every online Bonnaroo survival guide advises you to bring.

My fingernails are filthy and my toes are stuck together with mud. That’s because at some point late last night, while trying to fight my way through the crowd of kids to get closer to The Flaming Lips, who thrillingly performed “Dark Side of the Moon” in the second half of their show, I walked into one of the deep, sucking mud holes that are everywhere, as a result of hard rains a couple of days ago. I was glued to the earth, and the only way I could get free was to go down with my hands and yank at my sandals—finally the mud yielded them with a greedy sucking sound—and then forge on, barefoot now, toward the promised land of the cordoned-off V.I.P. viewing area, carrying my loamy foot gear. Somewhere around here are paid showers. Must find them.

I’m here for the music, like everyone else, but I’m also here for some better insight into how the summer festival business works. As everyone knows, the music industry sells only a fraction of the records it used to sell, and both musicians and music-industry professionals have turned to live performances, and festivals like this one, to make up some of that lost revenue. Bonnaroo is only in its ninth year, but it has been the top-grossing festival since the mid-2000s, and last year its promoters—four New Your City guys who are the principals in Superfly Productions—reported thirty million in revenue, of which twelve million was profit. From the promoters’ perspective, a rock festival is a riskier and far more complex endeavor than the staging of a show, but the potential payoff is much larger. That’s because in the concert business top-tier artists generally get to keep a hefty percentage of the house’s take, but in the festival business the acts are paid flat fees, and whatever is left over after the artists get paid goes to the promoters and their partners.

To a greater extent than rock concerts, festivals are social events (until Monday, these muddy fields will constitute the sixth largest city in Tennessee)—a chance for the youth of America to come together and start to figure out who they are and what kind of world they want to build. But here at Bonnaroo, the utopian and egalitarian spirit of the festival is somewhat at odds with classist strictures imposed on the crowd by the hierarchy of credentials. Two hundred and fifty dollars buys you general-admission access to all four days of the festival, but there is a bewildering array of artist, guest, and V.I.P.-only areas from which the great unwashed are excluded. Kids glance at the credential hanging around your neck before they look at your face; “Where’s that one get you?” one young man asked me in wonderment late last night. When you are literally stepping over bodies lying in the mud to get to your privileged enclave, the social divisions begin to feel medieval.

The guy on the floor just sat up, blinked a couple of times, and then went back down again, hard.

I have room for just a few comments about some of the acts I saw last night—The National, Kings of Leon, The Flaming Lips, and LCD Soundstystem. We’ll have more about the music later, and the photographer Randy Harris, who is with me, is going to be putting up pictures when and if he wakes up. But for now I will simply say that a successful performance at Bonnaroo seems to depend more than usual on a feeling of intimacy between the artist and the audience. A rock-star vibe doesn’t cut it here. Matt Berninger, The National’s singer and songwriter, obviously understands this, and his band’s performance, at 5:30 Friday afternoon on one of the secondary stages, was completely delightful. Berninger surfed the crowd, twice, trailing his mic cable, singing hard in his clear tenor voice, which sounded strong but never strained. Kings of Leon, on the other hand, seemed aloof during much of their set, in spite of the fact that, as the frontman Caleb Followill pointed out, they hail from “just down the road” (in Nashvillle) and are the only Bonnaroo band ever to work their way up from one of the smaller venues to a headlining spot. Maybe Caleb’s tender throat—the band cancelled a gig earlier in the week, so that he could rest his voice—was inhibiting him. On the other hand, several of the band’s new songs sounded excellent on first listen, and I was impressed with Matthew Followill’s guitar playing, which has become much stronger since I saw them a year ago in New Jersey.

O.K., I am going to take a shower, find a hat before it gets too hot to go out, and see if Randy is still living. I can hear the first performances of the day starting. BonnarOOOO!

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2010/06/

Lone Wolf

Veteran
About 6 years ago, i had a group of friends take a white box van down stuffed to the gills with 5 months of planned items. These guys were hardcore and even had a large dry-erase board setup in one of their basements with EVERYTHING they needed written down on it. They went down to bonnaroo with EVERYTHING possible to survive. They took the box van, and another white construction van down and claimed to have had the most bad ass camp site around. They actually got down there earlier then most, and were able to secure a site right next to a water spicket, which eventually made them kings of bonnaroo, or so they say.

What made them kings is that one of the guys in the group decided to bring a large inflatable pool. They had filled the pool up with water and were charging people money to sit in it for X amount of time. They had originally taken a few huge boxes loaded with glow-sticks and planned on selling them, but the swimming pool happened to be their biggest money making scheme.

These guys were prepaired, they somehow managed to find a deal on a bulk amount of "MONSTER" energy drinks pre-trip, and were able to sell them off at a 800% markup. They also brought down alot of bottled water, which was also how they made some money.

When I talk of them making money, they really didnt EARN any money... they just took that money and bought drugs. - ALOT OF THEM! ....

when you talk about the cops, i have a story about the cops and my buddies interactions with them on their way home.... its a craaazy story... i gottta get moving now, but ill be back...

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The Moondance Jam is close by to me.......
Walker Minnesota in the Chippewa Natl. Forest

This is Moondance Jam #19 and imo it's gotten better
and better every years far as quality & accommodations go.
The music each year varies and so it draws diff age groups.
mj1.gif

02.jpg

03.jpg

04-1.jpg

MJ2.jpg

^^Moondance Jam Link^^

a really nice country setting in the heart of the Chippewa
National Forest, nearby is Leech Lk (a huge clean lake)
with a sweet sand swimming beach loaded with Jammers
looking to cool off, yeah there's a rock n' roll heaven.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did a three day camp at Furtherfest over memorial day!! Had a great time and really enjoyed the show. Camped wth other grower friends and when we werent watching the show it was a 3 day smoke fest... truly a fun time. Def beats staying home.

Lone Wolf

Veteran
(continued) (this is by far the longest post ive ever typed up, so please read it and enjoy it)

These guys truly went to extremes...when i said that they planned their shit out very well, i was not kidding you... they had brought down a gigantic 8kw generator that they had used to power a lot of the things they had brought, but primarily they were using it to power a large DJ station with gigantic speakers and sub-woofers. They had pretty much set up a mini club within their executive-suite 600 square foot plot of land. Their mini club had everything, from laser lighting, to fog machines, to an actual portable lighted dance floor... (the stories that they had shared about what went on on this dance floor would blow your mind, but im trying to keep this short and sweet).... They brought down a lot of gas for the generator also, and claimed it worked out VERY well because they kept it inside the smaller van which worked as an excellent sound muffler... with only a couple of the windows open in the van, the sound of the generator was so minute that you would not even know a generator had been operating...

like i said earlier, these guys were the kings amongst the peasants in the field... even brought down a super large tarp that they had rigged up to both of the vans that were parked parallel to each other.... this tarp provided a priceless amount of shade that many would have killed to have...

They brought down a large grill also and were serving up hamburgers and hot dogs to their group, and were trading leftovers to the rest of the bonnarooians for drugs. The list of drugs they had accumulated were staggering, and very mind blowing, literally and figuratively... they originally intended to just use the stuff they brought with them, but as people offered, how could they refuse? The one notable drug that they had gotten their hands on was PEYOTE, which around these northern parts is very RARE to find, so they had stockpiled a bunch of it to bring back home. Along with the peyote, they had picked up a couple sheets of blotter paper, some mushrooms, acid, ketamine, molly, and a half pound of AAA dank. This was stuff that they had locked up in their safe that they had bolted down in the box fan. Of course, all of the guys had a good amount of stuff in their pockets and personal bags as well.

They had originally planned to walk around and sell off glow sticks as i mentioned earlier, but they claimed that nobody was interested in paying cash for their glow-sticks and were more less just trying to trade random drugs for them. At the sign of dusk, they would all gear up with their glow-stick items, and all head out in a different direction, wandering out into the field of people, with hopes and intentions of getting rich selling glow-sticks. Boy did that turn out to be a joke of a business venture - I personally think they went wrong when they decided to eat an 8th of Mushrooms each before they went out to sell them... anyways, it was funny to hear that they all came back at the end of the night with less then 20 bucks each, but a nice variety of drugs, and no glow-sticks left .... after the first night of doing it, most everyone had given up on selling them, except for the guy who had originally invested the 1,000 bucks on the glow-sticks! (by the way, they did not get any special vending license to sell their shit, they just went out and hustled...)

So eventually the time came when the poor guys had to back all of their shit back up, as we all know, packing up is always a sad time. They had A LOT of stuff to pack up, and took their good old time packing up because they knew there was going to be a nice long exit line.

During their entire trip, they had gotten word of the strong presence of police, and had even taken note of the abundance of state police on the highways, and all around the town and even inside of the gates of bonnaroo... the DJ who was scratching his vinyl LP's had his ipod set to the "bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do, when they come for you" song, and anytime a police officer had passed their plot of land, they were sure to blast this song - it SURELY made their neighbors, and the crowd they had gathered laugh their asses off. I guess the police got a kick out of it themselves, and decided to smile as they walked by to the clapping of the onlookers.... (that story really stuck in my mind, as they even video taped it happen....by the way, they videotaped it, and i swear to god, that video could be made into a movie and make millions)... anyways, the police were around, and you best believe that they took note of the large white vans that were blasting the bad boys music.... The leader of this group of elite bonnarooian friends of mine is quite a genius, and decided that he was going to do a great job of packing away their drugs, and boy did it turn out to be a great job he did....

after a few daunting hours, they had packed everything back into the truck- surprisingly enough, the white box van was packed to the gills, even after they had used up a lot of the bulk items such as the food, water, and the pool was destroyed so they left that, so a lot of that kind of shit was left behind, but they still managed to barely fit everything back into the box truck - we're talking every square foot was packed up. These guys were so careless when packing up, that they had a grill with a bunch of burnt hot dogs and hamburgers still on it, and they packed that thing in first, then packed everything around it.....

They had hit the road around 10pm, and planned on stopping at a hotel where they could shower up and get some halfway decent sleep.... they were on the road for not too long and decided to just say fuck it and pull off the highway and go get a couple rooms at a motel 8 or something of the sort. So these 7 dirty, grungy looking guys get off the exit, and start driving down the city road towards the motel - as they are driving, sure enough mr. police man is right on their tails. They pull into the parking lot, and as soon as they hit the motel parking lot, the police sirens and lights immediately turned on. OH SHIT is all they could think ( and I shit you guys not, I am telling you this story exactly how they told me, because it was probably one of the greatest stories that I had ever heard because I heard it from the ringleader himself and his partner, two of the greatest storytellers I know - im sure you all know a great storyteller... ) ....

The police officer got on his loud speaker and instructed all passengers in both white vans with Pennsylvania license plates to remain in their vehicles. 2 more cop cars rolled up and before they knew it, all guys were pulled out of the vans, hands on the van, being frisked down. My friend the ringleader told me that they had done NOTHING wrong and were simply profiled for having out of town license plates and looking like straight up burnt out druggies- haha well i guess that is what they were at the time after partying hard for so long...

anyways, there were 3 cops at the time, one of them a k9 officer with his dog barking his ass off in his car, and they had all taken one guy at a time into a different spot away from the other guys and began interrogating them individually, getting a story from each guy of the group.

They were all handcuffed for whatever reason, and my one buddy told me that he had his keys in his pocket along with a metal pipe that had marijuana resin mixed with a bunch of opium resin, and when the officer frisked him, he asked him what was in that pocket and he told him "just my keys..." .... anyways, as that police officer went to go interrogate another guy, my buddy reached his hand into his pocket somehow, pulled out the pipe, and did a 360 degree spin and laaaaaaunccheddd the metal pipe into the woods and heard it clank as it hit a tree.. HAHAHA.... as he did this 360 spin throw, another one of the guys in the group witnessed it, and to this day thinks it was the craziest move he has ever seen in his life. I got quite a kick out of it...

anyways, as they were interrogating these guys, one of the guys in the group was such a bonehead and decided to lie for whatever crazy reason was going through his head, and he told the police officer that they were driving back home from FLORIDA?? ahahaha??? I guess he claims that he said that because he figured that if the police believed they were coming from Florida, then they would not check the vehicles where all of the drugs were stored... his lie turned out to be the reason why the cops decided to unleash the K-9.... pretty DUMB lie if you ask me...

All of my friends stood there, giving the guy who lied a "im gonna kick your fucking ass" look , as they watched the police open up the big slide up gate on the box truck. Their hearts began to pound, and adrenaline rushed, as they all knew that they were eventually getting locked up for good because they had enough drugs within that truck to fuck them all REAL GOOD...

as an aside, they all had surprisingly been smart enough to dispose of whatever small personal stashes they had on them while partying at bonnaroo, so none of them had been caught with anything.... yet.....

these police began unpacking EVERYTHING in their truck, every single fucking thing was pulled back out of the truck in the motel 8 parking lot as the K-9 viciously searched for drugs... all of my friends knew what drugs were in that truck, but only 1 of them knew where they were stashed....

so everything is pretty much out of the truck, and whats left now is the safe that is bolted down to the truck, and the big ass grill with the leftover charred up hamburgers, hot-dogs, and charcoal.... THE DOG BEGINS TO GO APESHIT!!!! ..... all of my friends began to start freaking out, and one of them actually started crying and screaming at the guy who had lied and said they were coming back from Florida, when the others had told the truth and said they were coming from bonnaroo...

the dog is now going APESHIT, but he is not scratching at the safe, and is scratching at the grill... [these guys had accumulated a bunch of drugs as i had mentioned earlier that they had intended to sell of back home where most of it was near impossible to find, so they had planned on selling it for high prices...] each bark and scratch by the K9 pretty much reminded them that those hopes and dreams of being free men and making bank selling off their drugs were over... everyone of my friends except for the ringleader had no idea that the dog was scratching at the grill....

So sergeant flattop of the Tennessee state police department opened up the grill, and noticed nothing but charred up hotdogs and hamburgers... the dumb dog was barking at the food! "yeah i am pretty sure he wants some of the leftover hamburgers and hot-dogs that I left in the grill there- you can give him some of it if you would like" - my friend the ringleader mastermind YELLS out to the K-9 officer as he intensely eagle eyes every move of the K-9 and the officer.... the officer yells back "NO THANKS, HE DOESN'T EAT ANY GARBAGE LIKE THAT SON...." .....then the officer yells "HEY WHICH ONE OF YOU GUYS HAS THE KEY TO THIS HERE SAFE?".... the ringleader friend of mine who owned the truck and safe yells "I HAVE IT ON MY KEY CHAIN, I CAN COME OPEN IT FOR YOU, BUT THERE IS NOTHING IN IT....."..... the police officer yells back "COME ON OVER HERE GUY AND OPEN IT UP...."... my friend heads over there, as the rest of my friends are shitting their pants as he does this, then he opens it right up, NOTHING IN THERE - FUCKING NOTHING IN THERE AT ALL! ..... all of my friends looked at each other in sheeeeer amazement.... the police officer and his K-9 threw in their towels and hopped off the truck empty handed...

it is now around 4am, and they had been standing there for quite some time as these pigs took their good old time.... in the end, all they found was a couple bags of weed that they made them dump down a drain... the police un-cuffed them, and told them to have fun packing everything back up into the truck as they smiled.... they GLADLY packed it all back up, and were extremely nice to the officers, as the officers were straight up DICKS to them... they just wanted the pigs to get the fuck out of there so they could get inside the motel and FREEEAAKKKK THEEE FUCKKKK OUTTTT and go to sleep!

so the police left, and the guys packed EVERYTHING BACK UP..... nobody said a PEEP as they packed everything back up into the truck.....

they get into the motel, the motel front desk clerk asks them what that was all about, and they were in no condition to talk to ANYONE, so they just said "we really dont know"... and they all went up to their motel room....

the second they all got into the room, they shut the door and ALLL (but 1) SCREAMED WHATTTT THE FUUUCKKKKK HOOOOLYYYYYY SHITTTTTTT WHATTTT JUSTTT FUCKINGGGG HAPPNEEDDDDD AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........

my ringleader mastermind friend who remained calm the whole time and did not freak out with the rest of the guys calmly says - you guys remember when the dog was barking at those "hamburgers" and "hotdogs?" ........... HAHAHHAA (he laughs for a minute straight)..... "yeah???" they said......... "underneath those hamburgers, and hot-dogs, and charcoal is where i stashed ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of our shit!" ........... :jump:

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

FREAKKK OUTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dance013:

:ying:

:wave:

SORRY ABOUT THE LONG POST, HOPE THE STORY entertains you , because it DAMN WELL ENTERTAINED ME WHEN I HEARD IT!

peace,

LONE WOLF

Lone Wolf

Veteran
where are the rest of the bonnarooians from this year?? lets hear some stories... no need to type a stinkin' novel like that guy above me... :D

Molson

where are the rest of the bonnarooians from this year?? lets hear some stories... no need to type a stinkin' novel like that guy above me... :D

Talked to my boy today. This year was his first, and he said it was fucking insane, definitely going back next year.

Showers were $7 a pop. Port-a-potties weren't too bad, especially after they were cleaned. Atmosphere was insane... everyone super friendly, no negative vibes at all... he got offered coke, DMT (once), MDMA, Shrooms (bought this), LSD (he brought some back also), and weed constantly walking around.

He said the craziest shit he saw was one morning around 5 - 6am walking back to his tent he saw a guy walking w/ no shirt, shorts, and a stream of shit running from his butt down to about his mid calf, just completely out of it.

Latest posts

Latest posts