What's new

Ebb n Flow time for a paradigm shift! Try This!

I've been watching many growers over the years employ the ebb n flow principal (which is an outstanding method) and actually over think it!

The problem in my experience is that the dissolved oxygen levels need to be reached at a regular interval without the use of air stones.

The common practice suggests that a pump cycle of around 3- 5 minutes is ample and that the fall of the water will pull oxygen into the root zone as it recedes .

This alone may be true ,but the amount of oxygen inserted into the water(nute solution ) is minimal.

I have noticed many employing airstones into their reservoirs in an attempt to remedy this.

In many higher heat environments ebb n flow is very forgiving compared to aero or dwc applications but this should not be an excuse not to properly set up your pump cycles correctly the first time and expect airstones to keep you in the safe zone.

The answer is simple:

Run your on time for 15 minutes,,allow the over flow outlets to be ample enough to return your water run off back to the tank in an effortless manner,with rapid turbulent results.

I have always employed a 1" schedule 40 overflow pipe with
4 -1/4" holes drilled in it at 90 degree intervals..

The res is directly below and is with my builds a 120 gallon rubbermaid tub...
The resulting water return is a massive waterfall that excites the oxygen levels in the solution to maximum levels naturally.

If I run a 1 piece 4x8 table I make sure to plumb a 1" line from the opposite end to the tank as well so I have 2 returns ,this is not including the supply line from the pump.

As you allow the pump to run 15 minutes on every three hours the roots will explode with growth,pathogens will not take residence in your tank and the oxy levels will be massive compared to short on times and airstones.

2 massive waterfalls for 15 minutes really gets the DO levels supercharged w/o all the BS people are using in vain.

I have also noted a member here talking about magnetic drive pumps and their propensity to effect iron levels in water in a negative way, I would like to see this in tests as I feel it's pure BS! just as the magnetic pieces of shit they try to sell to soften water...pure bunk!

I've had Danner supreme mag drives submersed in my nute tanks for years ,,,,show me a problem!! I'd like to see that!

You can simply set your 15 on 15 off timers to 1 pin down every 3 hours,let that solution flow and watch your grow improve ten fold!...

Make sure to have your run off designed to allow the pump to run on for hours w/o ever over flowing the tub....

common sense!! returns have to be bigger than 3/4" with most decent pumps!

Use bigger pumps,,,think 900 to 1500 gph mag drive pumps!!!

don't simply send the water up there,,but shoot it up to the net pots and get that BIG flow back to the res!! watch the solution turn white with bubbles as it crashes and agitates the base solution....no pathogens are gonna survive that turbulence as their bodies will explode in the motion,,,,,stagnant conditions render anaerobic environments!!! you don't want that!!

That's it! enjoy your new paradigm!:thank you:

Herborizer

Veteran
Great post. I know this will work great because this is how many aquariums oxygenate the water these days (instead of airstones).

Thanks for sharing!

HooT

I like your observations.... You said you use net pots? What type of medium? I am using 4 in stg blocks and if I run for 15 mins they will all just float away. And take forever to dry out.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I don't really see any big change in your method, probably because I do enf buckets instead of tables. Are you just talking about cycling the water more often? I would agree with that.

OK Fellas w/o pics this is a bit confusing ...

Haps wassup??? you're an old name I recognize from way back!!

The best way for this principal to work in your buckets would require your res to damned near be in the floor below your buckets.

Basicly in the basement!

OK what I'm attempting to portray is the fact that I do not like weak ass pumps that simply and slowly raise a water table up to the roots and then turns off and recedes
via gravity back to the res..

OK this of course works but it's far from the proper way to utilize a flood imho...

I first would like to advocate my use of a cover over the table as you would cover a 5 gallon bucket with a lid...

Why allow debris to get into your nute solution,massive evaporation from the fans and HID's taking advantage of an exposed surface?

I always go to Lowes and buy the 4x8 sheet of sanitary white plastic bubble finish and
prepare it for a cover..

Cut out the proper diameter holes for netpots,,then place the proper netpots upside down throughout the layout to support the whole thing..

You can even use drywall screws and secure it after set up if you'd like.(not necessary)

This also contains the Big Thrust of water that comes up from below,,,like that fuggin gash in the gulf currently polluting our waters...Fuk You BP!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4981-1.jpg
    IMG_4981-1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4992.jpg
    IMG_4992.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 8
Here is the underside of the 4 x 8 table with return overflow from the rear of the table as well as 1" drain directly overhead the pump...

The pump actually sucks up the fresh oxygen that has been injected into the res and shoots it's upstairs and saturates the roots with fresh oxygen ,dissolved in the nutes...

Attachments

• IMG_4992.jpg
    IMG_4992.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4994.jpg
    IMG_4994.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 7
As you can see in the pic labeled (major aeration) that is the supply about 5 minutes into the cycle...

It is now fully submerged,as is the netpots and the roots,,,and they are now getting a good long oxygen rich feeding and drink..

This is what makes dwc so great it has the h20 ,oxygen and nutes available all the time..
Too bad it's application suffers from pathogen viability due to the fact that it has far greater anaerobic conditions,and heat susceptibility ....

It simply cannot compete with this aeration principal and pathogen killing water circulation.

With this principal you can literally run the damned pump for an hour if you'd like...

This is not your daddy's ebb n flow principal!!!

I will again say that a pump of 900 gph or greater is strongly advised,,,I use the 900 on the 4x4 dual table and the 1500 gph danner mag drive on the 4x8...

I use hydroton or lava rocks in netpots..

If you use rockwool,rapid rooters,or that other crap they are selling that looks and acts like friggin insulation (which it is) then suspend it properly above the water level ...

You should technically just have the already established roots contacting the nute level.

Jack784

I love the sound of this system. Nice way to capitalize on the advantages of both ebb and dwc. Would it be possible to use botanicare ebb and flow fittings with this system?

burnt out og'er
Veteran
Nice system Wandering Roman, I like it :dance013:
And welcome to IcMag forums. Somehow I think I might know you from overgrow? pm me eh

But there's really nothing new or revolutionary about covering e&f tables with cut outs to accept net pots.
I've been advocating that for over a decade. :ying:

It's main advantage, being the netpots encouraging a lush heavy root mat growing out of the net pots and thru-out the open space under the cover plate, which also holds down evaporation, while at the same time keeping the root mat in the dark (sheltered from the light(s)). Plus there's no stunted root systems like seen in those square planters most e&f systems come standard with.

But it's this statement makes me chuckle ...
don't simply send the water up there,,but shoot it up to the net pots and get that BIG flow back to the res!! watch the solution turn white with bubbles as it crashes and agitates the base solution....no pathogens are gonna survive that turbulence as their bodies will explode in the motion,,,,,,stagnant conditions render anaerobic environments!!! you don't want that!!

Their bodies will explode in the motion ?

I agree about needing aeration to keep the benes thriving,
but this is the first time I've ever seen anyone claiming that solution turbulence has an affect of "exploding their bodies" heh heh wtf ???

Now getting into the principles of operation of ebb & flow.
The fall back has always been part of the aerating action of the solution...really no new paradigm there.

I just don't see any problem maintaining a decent level of Dissolved Oxygen in solution as long as the reservoir temperatures are kept low enough
in the usual e&f reservoir, and kept aerated with a simple air stone added for that extra bit of aeration in the res between flood cycles.

I'd also agree about mag drive pumps, if it's taking out iron it's just a trace amount and it's being replaced anyway if
the grower is practicing sound reservoir solution maintenance.
Plus there always a routine foliar app of spray'n'grow mid vegging so that's never really been any kind of a problem.

Oh and a big agree with you on the use of bigass rockwool cubes in e&f,
that damned crap has no business anywhere near ebb & flow hydro I agree 100% !

Heyo! Heyo! 10K
Thanks for stoppin by! I was a regular @ CW ,did Og a lil bit also!
Got booted off the island and never even got an explanation!
So I'm a bit of a cast away but it's fine...

Really burnt out on the internet scene after years of drama and arguing with
people over failure to comprehend....

OK I'm glad we are both on the same page,,,well kinda!

My whole reason for posting this is to emphasize the application of an extended
run on the pump cycle,and a Big flow,,,like a juicy oxygen rich flow that will bathe
those roots in this oxygen enriched solution for 15,25 0r hell even 60 minutes if ya
want!

The table is fully submersed,and remains in that state of overflow for an extended amount of time.....

Plants really seem to soak it up,,,and are never found wanting as many ebb n flow applications are ,due to improper set up or build..

The emphasis isn't on the cover,,,while true many don't use one,I have to due to my
BIG Splash I make topside!

A short duration flood time with a wimpy pump is NOT in my solution! for great growth and zero stress E&F theory!

so I'm not inventing the wheel here....just stressing these parameters be tried...

and the hell with the old way of thinking!

OK I wanna give a BIG shout out to some Ol Friends over at the island where I used to hang out!

Optimus Prime,Elkie,BarefootSteve,Knucklehead,BuddyBoy,OrganicRooster,,,,,I miss all you guys amd I hope like hell you are enjoying the newest Fems this year...

here's an update..

Tested so Far are the ECSD S1's,,,,very stretchy as expected,,some nice specimens in there and some nanners as ya may expect due to her background...

The JackieO#3 x ECSD ...Holyshit!! hold onto your hats boys this is a MASSIVE yielding strain....flower her early ,,,there is stretch in there but damn does 6" diameter solid colas of orange zesty ,resin packed sativa sound good?? good luck on deciding on which to pick as a keeper.. (I find the shorter,massively resinous one to be my fav.)

Old Sog's super silver haze x ECSD ....My my my!! Every pheno is a keeper,,AAA plus chunky resin drippin super sativas......I am in heaven with this cross and will attest that all the fem strains I've ever done this may be the pinnacle....

Ya better cherish them tiny lil beans boyz!!!

New Elites will be spread around out of that camp!

I'm lookin at 75 day finishers and massive colas.....I mean massive....just behind the JO#3 cross....

Wish I had better pics as they do not display the white resin on all the massive gals!
sickly Dank!!!

Have a great summer fellas.....

picture.php

picture.php

I love the sound of this system. Nice way to capitalize on the advantages of both ebb and dwc. Would it be possible to use botanicare ebb and flow fittings with this system?

sorry not familiar with them,,,but I will say that schedule 40 fittings and pipe is dirt cheap!! If your fittings are not 1" then don't bother... Go Big or go home friend!! All My Best!!

OK 10K I'll bite... Natural ionization is taking place as that waterfall is happening.. The ozone is also being injected into the solution as this is happening.. You can see it shooting into the upper table in one of my pics... This natural process of ionization and hyper oxygenation will literally blow those pathogenic cell bodies into pieces.... Cell bodies of weakened pathogens (by oxygen and ozone) will actually burst in very turbulent water,from the waterfall.... So there ya go! far better than a slow......gravity drain back to the res,,,taking up to 20 minutes...not much good happening there...

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
My tidal systems move the water slow, because I used half inch tubing, next time I will go bigger, mainly so that I can go to 8 tidal cycles per day instead of six. With redundancy of air in all units in addition to the waterfall actions I stay at max do throughout my cycle.

Kinesis certainly adds a beneficial component that I have never understood, I ain't sure it is blowing up molecules, but I will stay tuned.

_Dude

If there was a book on DO levels in water written for the grower (who isn't afraid to learn some math if it's spelled out), I'd buy it. I'm tired of hearing about DO and want to know how to calculate all the math myself.

Latest posts

Latest posts