What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canna Terra help!

Scrogerman

Veteran
Hey There Organic/Soil IC Heads!
Im a staunch Hydro Grower but recently have turned to Soil & the great Outdoors.
I started off v-well but now i have some yellowing starting from the bottom up & reddening / purpling of the stems and branches, leaf stems etc. now im pretty sure i have N def starting and a little Mg and possibly K too, some margins are curling right in on 2 of the plants, - 3 week old plants, its not too serious but i thought id switch to a different nute from BioBizz BioGrow, so i invested in some Canna Terra.
This is whats confusing me as i know alot of others too. ive been advised to ph to 6.3 and i gave them that. But im not sure what PH for my water irrigations, i was thinking 6.5.
Im using New horizon peat free organic soil with 25% perlte for added drainage, not that the soil needed it, its very airy actually!
the PH of the medium is 6.0-6.5, so 6.3 for the terra should serve me well.
im using Orthophosphoric for PH down and it only takes 4 drops for every 5 litres to bring my Tap water down from 8.1 to 6.3.
i know my Tap has high'ish alkalinity atm, it is usually 7.9, triple checked and Calibrated all meters. The EC of the Canna Terra at 2/3rds strength is EC 0.6 =420ppms and my Tap PPm's are around 120 or a little less making it soft.
Im hoping that the Canna Terra Nutes will fix me up but i do have concerns as its designed for Peat based Soils etc i believe.
Does anyone have any advise for myself and other soil & canna terra (Nute) Users, especially concerning PH.
I know the right PH ranges for soil & MJ being 6.3-6.8. I just cant get my head around Canna's PH rec's for their nute line of 5.8-6.2 I know thats Low for soil.
Any Advise would be Great.
Peace & Respect.........Scroger! ;)

Not sure if this thread is in the right forum, so if a Mod wants to move then please do so, many Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Scrogerman

Veteran
Just to add to these symptoms, sadly this morning i have a confirmed red Spidermite Attack & this could very well be contributing to some if not all of the symptoms!
could still do with some canna terra Nute heads chiming in though!

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Take there aint many Canna Terra users about then - oh well!

Sorry buddy, I do not have enough experience with CT to help, just hoped someone else did ! It smells great though and I have the highest regard for Canna, the people and their products. I use a bottle of CT for the odd Soil plant I have here on her way to Dirt loving friends.

Maybe add some to the Mite spray program, those sods suck the life out of a plant and with some Soap/Wetting agent, sprayed under the leaves you are making things more and more difficult, whilst adding some much needed nutes to your ladies.

Scrogerman

Veteran
Cheers mate, Ive looked with a scope & they have vanished so far, think i saw a couple of eggs though, but the spray i used is supposed to dissolve those so i think thell be back, Thanks for the tip Chaos bro! Great buddy!
Good Luck ! Peace..........Scrogs!
Think i'll get some Predators, they kick ass every time, no messing with sprays and once there done they vanish, problem solved. Just gonna cost around £30 with postage!

burnt out og'er
Veteran
Not sure if canna tera is a chem salts nute like a lot of hydroponics nutes, but many suffer badly in mixing when the initial pH is too high.

Are you mixing directly into that highly alkaline tap water, or are you dropping the pH some before adding your nute concentrates?
Is that a multi-part nute ?

darrmann

im using bio terra + for a medium and all of the canna line of nutes and for the first time have not messed with my ph. It is always about 6.2 after i mix my nutes and as far as the line goes your not supposed to have to worry about the ph because the medium regulates the ph and i tell you my plants look better then they ever have. Now im not sure thats true with all the canna mediums or just the bio terra plus that regulates itself and gives the plant what it needs and when it needs it.

Scrogerman

Veteran
Not sure if canna tera is a chem salts nute like a lot of hydroponics nutes, but many suffer badly in mixing when the initial pH is too high.

Are you mixing directly into that highly alkaline tap water, or are you dropping the pH some before adding your nute concentrates?
Is that a multi-part nute ?

Thanks 10k,
I thought this thread was a lost cause untill you guys looked in so thanks alot guys!
Yeah i am mixing it straight in to this 8.2 Tap, its soft water though & has a ppm of under 120. so work that one out?
Im Bubbling it for a good 6 hours after letting it stand for 2 days to declorinate. Its a One Part Full Nutritional nutrient. designed for Peat based mediums ie Soiless by the looks of it, but it does say for soil also, just doesnt specify a PH for soil. Just the Canna Terra Soil i think, as its designed for! which is composed of Peats, white peats etc. that makes that stuff soiless if im not mistaken!??!! The Recommended PH on their website is 5.8-6.2 & on the bottle its 5.2-6.2, which makes me think its designed for soiless, ie peatbased mediums.
My mixing procedure is : Let Stand for 48 hours, i mix 3.4 mls per litre which is 2/3rds strength. then i adjust the ph and bubble for 6 hours at least, check PH again & adjust if nessasary, maybe 0.1.
Im using orthophosphoric acid to take it down from 8.2 - 6.3, which i know is low for soil.but have been advised by other soil growers to do this with the terra, but i think its still too low!
If you can see where my problem lyes then please help. before things go tits up!
Oh and its a mineral based fert like a hydro nute i think, but contains things like humics i think!

Here is somthing that may stike a chord, normally it would take 10-12 drops of ph down to lower my ph down from 8.2+ to 6.3 but after i add the Canna terra it only takes 4 drops, thats in 5 litres water(Tap)

I am following the instructions as best i can on the back of the bottle to, surley it would say, "adjust ph first" before adding the Canna Terra nute, but it does not,
its the same with all Canna nutes, it says on the bottle add to TAP Water, not RO, so Canna is designed for Tap water & not RO, thats the same with the whole Canna line, ive used them all, except the ones for soil! I was using Canna Classic over 15 years ago! Never have a problem with hydro ever, never once lost a crop in hydro.

Scrogerman

Veteran
im using bio terra + for a medium and all of the canna line of nutes and for the first time have not messed with my ph. It is always about 6.2 after i mix my nutes and as far as the line goes your not supposed to have to worry about the ph because the medium regulates the ph and i tell you my plants look better then they ever have. Now im not sure thats true with all the canna mediums or just the bio terra plus that regulates itself and gives the plant what it needs and when it needs it.

Yeah after i mix my ph is still the same i think, doesnt touch it.its still 8.2!
If your using the whole line of Canna including the Canna terra soil(Less), then your laughing * this is where my problem lies, im using Soil, Organic Peat free soil bro at that!
As your using the Bio version its completely different bro but thanks very much for your input. if you can think of anything else dont hesitate to give us a hand with this! cheers mate!

Scrogerman

Veteran
After 3 feeds of 6.3 it seems stuffs or rather some things are getting locked out, or so it seems, the new growth is greening up but Mg seems to be getting locked out or its possibly K, the margins on 2 of the plants are curling right in, just the margins curling right in, what does this indicate? Mg or K is getting locked out, i think due to the low ph at 6.3, which is what ive been advised to give the terra at, looks all wrong to me, ill go back n tell the guys, see what they have to say but it looks like it aint working for me. this could be down to my Tap PH like you said 10k, so i dont know what the fk to do now, do i go and leach through with a feed of 6.8ph way outside of the recommended range for the Terra nute or do i PH the Tap down first to 6.3? im a little lost here lol, its funny cause in hydro i just wouldnt be having these issues at all! cheers for looking in guys!

Latest posts

Latest posts