What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how reliable are pre flowers?

weedfiend

hey guys just wanting some advice on how accurate in the long term are pre flowers at determining sex?

ive 6 hindu kush and 7 big blue in there fifth week and i was just getting ready to take some cuttngs and sex them so as not to interupt the hopefull mothers grow cycle when low and behold a few are showing preflowers, So my question to u knowledgable growers is will they be what they say they are right through or do i need to still take cuttings and sex those properly? im really hoping that the girls showing can be trusted so all i need to do is leave them for another few weeks and get the number of clones i need for my sog table, then after that pick the best 2 mums after ive smoked there offspring.

So please help..............:gday:

LUDACRIS

Veteran
hey guys just wanting some advice on how accurate in the long term are pre flowers at determining sex?

ive 6 hindu kush and 7 big blue in there fifth week and i was just getting ready to take some cuttngs and sex them so as not to interupt the hopefull mothers grow cycle when low and behold a few are showing preflowers, So my question to u knowledgable growers is will they be what they say they are right through or do i need to still take cuttings and sex those properly? im really hoping that the girls showing can be trusted so all i need to do is leave them for another few weeks and get the number of clones i need for my sog table, then after that pick the best 2 mums after ive smoked there offspring.

So please help..............:gday:

Need pictures.

Attachments

• ThisThreadIsWorthless.jpg
    ThisThreadIsWorthless.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 8

weedfiend

what do u need pics for? the question is will a preflower determine the sex of the plant right way through its life cycle? or did u just want a reason to use ur pic.

LUDACRIS

Veteran
what do u need pics for? the question is will a preflower determine the sex of the plant right way through its life cycle? or did u just want a reason to use ur pic.

1st Question = Pre flowers are not a guarantee of sex.
2nd Question = Dont get you on that one unless you are trying to be smart ????????.

3rd Drop the attitude or you wont get to far.
:)

weedfiend

attitude? coming from u thats rich. ur a know all nuffy who gets his kicks bye making ppl feel like idiots............ur a tool dont speak to me i dont want any advice if it comes from a condescending dick ey!

LUDACRIS

Veteran
attitude? coming from u thats rich. ur a know all nuffy who gets his kicks bye making ppl feel like idiots............ur a tool dont speak to me i dont want any advice if it comes from a condescending dick ey!

Dont present your self that way and i wont be giving you advice after abusing me.

Xtensity

Dont present your self that way and i wont be giving you advice after abusing me.

No offense dude, I try not to take any sides, but you are coming off as a dick.

He was asking how reliable preflowers were and explaining his situation. It's just a forum, people ask for help. I saw no attitude of his, I saw a comment anyone would give in response to a picture that doesn't really answer his question, a picture posted that doesn't help the thread much any.

LUDACRIS

Veteran
No offense dude, I try not to take any sides, but you are coming off as a dick.

He was asking how reliable preflowers were and explaining his situation. It's just a forum, people ask for help. I saw no attitude of his, I saw a comment anyone would give in response to a picture that doesn't really answer his question, a picture posted that doesn't help the thread much any.

Call me what you wish but i have done my home work and this user seems to think i am some idiot so i wont be posting the FAQ for his benefit. He takes my word for it or learns the hard way. When people are nice i will do anything to help them out but in this case NO.
And yes i am a dick when peeps dont listen or call me a liar and i already answered the question.

weedfiend

never said u were an idiot or called u a liar i simply questioned the need of a picture and that was after i do believe u called my thread worthless......u say im being rude i do believe the insult and general overtone was set by you.

LUDACRIS

Veteran
never said u were an idiot or called u a liar i simply questioned the need of a picture and that was after i do believe u called my thread worthless......u say im being rude i do believe the insult and general overtone was set by you.

Reported again so leave me alone.

burnt out og'er
Veteran
what's all this bickering about, not necessary folks...

YES premordia are 100% reliable indication of what sex your plant will be. !!!

And YES... Once you're seeing dead nuts positive identification that the premordia are female then go for it,
take your cuttings and root them, because all the cuttings from that plant will also be female. No if's and or buts!

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree with 10k...

Only exception is you can have a plant show female preflowers and then could turn out to be hermaphrodite.

In general tho, you'll never have a plant throw male preflowers and then turn out to be female, least in my experience.

spearzy

best to try and label the clones and the females they came from just in case they do turn on you id say nearly all of the plants that show female preflowers will be female but,you can get the rare ones that seem totally female untill a few weeks into flowering then turn out to be haermaphrodite good luck with the girls mate.

microgram

Take the bitching to the streets boys.

The answer to your question:
It depends how far along your pre-flowers are. For the 2-12 inch plant probably not very, but when they're 2-3 feet tall, you'll be able to see the pistils on some of the nodes, make sure that there are more than just one or two. The males are usually the first to show pre-flowers, but they're always the fastest to flower once you turn the light cycle over.

Males typically grow faster than females, and their pre-flowers are short stubby nubs.
Keep males until 2nd week of flower, just in case your assumption is incorrect. If they are males, you can safely remove them before they pollinate any of your girls.

Latest posts

Latest posts