What's new

Interval timer that goes down to the seconds?

tilopa

I need a timer for my pump that can turn on every 2 hours (for example) and run for 20 seconds then turn off.

The only reliable ones that I can find, like the nearpow, only have a minute setting.

Anyone know of a good one?

SuperBadGrower

It doesn't need to cost an arm and a leg. Look on alibaba or aliexpress for "second interval timer". You can find them 'rebranded' sold locally probably. It uses the same internals/software as the normal digital timers except with 1-second intervals. They have been totally reliable for me.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I need a timer for my pump that can turn on every 2 hours (for example) and run for 20 seconds then turn off.

The only reliable ones that I can find, like the nearpow, only have a minute setting.

I don't know of a product off hand, but if you have any programing experience at all, that would be trivial to implement with an arduino and a relay for the pump.

tilopa

I don't know of a product off hand, but if you have any programing experience at all, that would be trivial to implement with an arduino and a relay for the pump.
I've done some shell scripting on unix and dabbled in Python back in the day. But don't really have time to figure out how to program an arduino. Maybe I'll look for a howto.

sounds like you want a recycle timer like this...
This is a good timer but does not go down to seconds, only minutes.

OldSSSCGuy

I've done some shell scripting on unix and dabbled in Python back in the day. But don't really have time to figure out how to program an arduino. Maybe I'll look for a howto.

If you understand a little Python it would be a breeze for you. I'd get a Raspberry Pi 4 (wireless and CPU capability) for about $35 and a relay switch for under $10. You will find that there is all sorts of stuff you can automate without doing or knowing much. There are LOTS of RP help sites out there and you can operate any cycle time you'd like.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?

This is a good timer but does not go down to seconds, only minutes.
Arduino is just an IDE for atmel AVR microcontrollers, and I'm sure you can program then in python too. https://realpython.com/arduino-python/ If you do go the arduino route it will probably be more expensive than an off the shelf product, but you will be able to program it anyway you want instead of having to rely on their settings.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
If you understand a little Python it would be a breeze for you. I'd get a Raspberry Pi 4 (wireless and CPU capability) for about $35 and a relay switch for under $10. You will find that there is all sorts of stuff you can automate without doing or knowing much. There are LOTS of RP help sites out there and you can operate any cycle time you'd like.
A pi is massive overkill for something like that, but leaves tons of room for expansion. You could easily get buy with an 8mhz avr and the same relay board.

OldSSSCGuy

A pi is massive overkill for something like that, but leaves tons of room for expansion. You could easily get buy with an 8mhz avr and the same relay board.

I dunno buddy. Even a Pi 3 for $35 is better than a $25 Arduino, if just for the wireless, bluetooth, and video included. Its self-sufficient without needing to learn about shields and is simply more convenient starting point. I have & tried a Arduino Uno and would rather have spent the difference. The Pi is easier for dummies like me.

Plus I can stick a camera on the Pi and watch the room cycle if I want. Sensors are cheap as dingles, easy to learn/hookup/program, more accessories and geeky participation, etc. I can add a $3 temp/humid sensor, a $4 relay for lights/fans whatever, and a camera to watch the grow and still have tons of capacity.

Bio boy

Or instead of python for 54 quid

Pump pluged in on a drip ring. I start with 3second seeds every hour . I then swap to 10 second feeds every 5hrs and 14second every 4hr in flower.

U can feed asmuch as u want it has a timer to start it.

The nob u spin goes from 1 second to 15 mins u select what seconds u want and it will turn the pump off sfter that set seconds .

So i use 2000lph pump on 8 halo rings. So ez to get equal preassure and feed consistantly with this timer

Imperium - Single Outlet Feed Duration Timer

The Imperium timer provides precision control over feed duration. It has 28 feed duration options from 1 second to 15 minutes. The flexibility to match the feed duration to the life-stage of the plants means the roots have better access to oxygen, nutrient solution uptake is increased and ultimately yields are bigger.

• 28 feed duration options
  • Push button to switch between minutes and seconds
  • Highly oxygenated root zone

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I dunno buddy. Even a Pi 3 for $35 is better than a $25 Arduino, if just for the wireless, bluetooth, and video included. Its self-sufficient without needing to learn about shields and is simply more convenient starting point. I have & tried a Arduino Uno and would rather have spent the difference. The Pi is easier for dummies like me.

Plus I can stick a camera on the Pi and watch the room cycle if I want. Sensors are cheap as dingles, easy to learn/hookup/program, more accessories and geeky participation, etc. I can add a $3 temp/humid sensor, a $4 relay for lights/fans whatever, and a camera to watch the grow and still have tons of capacity.
Raspberry pi is a SBC, a single board computer and MASSIVE overkill for such a simple project. They run at 1.5GHZ, have their own linux operating system which isn't a realtime OS and he'd be using it to keep track of time and send a digital signal occasionally. I can do the same thing with a 8mhz AVR and use way less energy, .08mA idle vs 260mA idle. Almost every single sensor you use on a pi can be used on an arduino. I have humidity sensors, light level sensors, multiple cameras, all the buttons you could ever wish for. You can get a robotdyn arduino nano for 3$, which is so cheap I normally use those instead of bare atmega chips which cost 2$ a piece if you aren't buying in bulk. I wouldn't stop anybody from learning programming, it's a skill everybody should have going into the 21s century, but I disagree that the raspberry pi is the best choice in this situation. :tiphat: