What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First DWC grow - how am I looking?

roybart

I am running DWC in separate buckets, mainly because the girls are at different growth stages. My external bucket temp is 82 F so I would guess the water is close to that. My roots are snow white. Also on each bucket I have a bubbler moving water from the top to the bottom via air. I just checked the temp of the wet hydroton under the bubbler and its 77 F and the leaf temp is 77.3 F Also I have two air lines without stones. I think the splashing does the same job and it does not get clogged.

Many blame temperature for root rot. Its a minor factor but lack of oxygen is the main cause. In stead of a chiller add more air. My ambient temp goes from 77 to 86 F , humidity 35 to 57 % at the top of the buckets over 24 hours.

I run everything 12x12 schedule.
I had a grow tent but it hard to manage everything.
Think about this, a pond with no movement get stagnant, a running river does not.
The biggest killers in fish tanks are over feeding and not enough water movement and oxygen.Same for the girls..

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
GROW ENVIRONMENT
4x4x6 tent
2x240W LED lights w/timer and contactor
Hyperfresh V2
Hygrometer
12" desk fan for under canopy
2x9" fans for above
SCROG frame with 100lb fishwire
2x84L Totes
4x6 inch net pots
1800L/H airpump
6 air stones (3 per res)
Cheap pH and EC meters (but with calibration solution for both - I've played around with them and understand how they work)
Water temp thermometer
Water pump to drain reservoirs

PROPAGATION
Propagation dome
Rootit cubes
SweetZZ seeds
Syringe

NUTES:
Maxibloom (going for KISS method)
CalMag (Vitalink)
Liquid Silicon (Growth Tech)

Not sure if I should buy (advice needed):
Beastie Bloomz
Hydroguard
Lux Meter

The light is the latest quantum board design or the old school purple design?

JP12345

No, not until seedling breaks through the surface.

I'm concerned about them now - they don't look right:

Ak9ydDI

UvmVZSz

y8wtCLs

OfWMZEM

JP12345

they needed light on/before the 08-24-2020, 04:28 PM photos

Noted for next time, thanks. Hopefully I can salvage these seeds I have. I've just had to swap the deformed one into a new root riot, placing the root face down. Hopefully it grows properly now. If not I'll just have to put it down to beginner mistakes!

overbudjet

Veteran
just for fun ,have you try to gently pull on some roots if they break without to much force ,its not ok .When root's are good they are tough
to break .

JP12345

How long should I give them before popping some more beans?

I've got some H2O2 on the way - a guy showed me his before and after pics after being in the same situation.

Mr. J

Why do you guys torture yourselves and your plants with these overly complicated systems? Stick them in coco and be done with it. I can tell you one thing, never have I had to feed my plants bleach or peroxide. Also I've never had to deal with rotting roots. Save yourself the trouble, man. You'll be a lot happier and so will your plants.

bigpeter

Why do you guys torture yourselves and your plants with these overly complicated systems? Stick them in coco and be done with it. I can tell you one thing, never have I had to feed my plants bleach or peroxide. Also I've never had to deal with rotting roots. Save yourself the trouble, man. You'll be a lot happier and so will your plants.

I totally agree, DWC is too prone to going wrong. The worst choice for a beginner. Since I started coco scrog yields have gone up and and I'll never return to any other method.

This is one plant-

picture.php

You shouldn't use h202...it messes with things in a not so good way. H202 should only be used for sterilizing. Keeping water temps down and using a root zone cleaner like UC roots. It helps keep the root zone in good shape.

I just finished a run. 72 degree water(no chiller) and UC roots. Healthy roots.

JP12345

If these haven't shown any markable improvement in the next few days I'll be switching to coco.