What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Buchner funnel with butane

RGG

So I'm planning on doing a fresh frozen bho run, I will fresh the bud and the butane pick into tubes then freeze again.

Im worried about the amount of waxes i might get. Can i blast into a pyrex then put through a buchner funnel?

As butane evaporates im guessing if can i would need to use extra.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I'm planning on doing a fresh frozen bho run, I will fresh the bud and the butane pick into tubes then freeze again.

Im worried about the amount of waxes i might get. Can i blast into a pyrex then put through a buchner funnel?

As butane evaporates im guessing if can i would need to use extra.

You would have to drop the temperature low enough and long enough to drop out the waxes first. Not likely with open blasting.

RGG

You would have to drop the temperature low enough and long enough to drop out the waxes first. Not likely with open blasting.

Ok thanks for the information, is it still possible to get a good result using fresh frozen open blasting?

making sure i make sure everything has been frozen and the butane is in the freezer too.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok thanks for the information, is it still possible to get a good result using fresh frozen open blasting?

making sure i make sure everything has been frozen and the butane is in the freezer too.

Yes.

mobin

like GW said it's gotta be cold.

i've only successfully filtered liquid tane through a buchner by pouring from a vacuum flask where the material was soaking with the receiving flask on dry ice and a LOW vacuum pull.

i wouldn't do it with gravity. im sure a trick for pressure could be used.

but redissolving in alcohol for winterization makes filtering much easier.

RGG

like GW said it's gotta be cold.

i've only successfully filtered liquid tane through a buchner by pouring from a vacuum flask where the material was soaking with the receiving flask on dry ice and a LOW vacuum pull.

i wouldn't do it with gravity. im sure a trick for pressure could be used.

but redissolving in alcohol for winterization makes filtering much easier.

Thanks for the info.

This will be the first time i fried fresh frozen material usually i make hash with it.

i did think about winterisation with alcohol but i will have to see what the outcome is like and if it goes waxy.

Do you loose many terps when redissolving with alcohol?

mobin

i did think about winterisation with alcohol but i will have to see what the outcome is like and if it goes waxy.

Do you loose many terps when redissolving with alcohol?

it will be waxy. act accordingly.

alcohol winterization will kill some terps if not most, but the increased potency and smoothness as well as your lungs will not miss the pain.

gumby420

no need to winterize, when i used to open blast i would blast into mason jars, then take the mason jars and stick them into a cooler full of dry ice until they hit about -40, then let it chill for 30 min at -40, then run that through a passive buchner funnel/flask.

RGG

no need to winterize, when i used to open blast i would blast into mason jars, then take the mason jars and stick them into a cooler full of dry ice until they hit about -40, then let it chill for 30 min at -40, then run that through a passive buchner funnel/flask.

Sounds like a plan ill give that ago.

When you blast the butane do you blast any extra to account for evaporation?

mobin

go ahead and do that and go about doing a dewax, you'll see a good amount of lipids/waxes especially "letting it chill and then run through a passive filter". i see 3-5g of shit an oz made from butane that has met atmosphere.

picture.php

RGG

go ahead and do that and go about doing a dewax, you'll see a good amount of lipids/waxes especially "letting it chill and then run through a passive filter". i see 3-5g of shit an oz made from butane that has met atmosphere.

View Image

that is some seriously cold funnel i didn't get chance to order dry ice this week will have to do next weekend looking forward to seeing how it will come out.

gumby420

that is some seriously cold funnel i didn't get chance to order dry ice this week will have to do next weekend looking forward to seeing how it will come out.

one small trick i learned that made it a little easier was before dumping dry ice into your cooler put a small layer on the bottom, then drop in a few mason jars and pack the dry ice around them, about 90% to the top of the jar. the ice will basically freeze around the jar so when you go to put in your oil filled jar just swap them out and youll already have a perfect mason jar sized hole. it can be a pain the ass to dig out a hole to make the jar fit snug in there.

RGG

one small trick i learned that made it a little easier was before dumping dry ice into your cooler put a small layer on the bottom, then drop in a few mason jars and pack the dry ice around them, about 90% to the top of the jar. the ice will basically freeze around the jar so when you go to put in your oil filled jar just swap them out and youll already have a perfect mason jar sized hole. it can be a pain the ass to dig out a hole to make the jar fit snug in there.

I like it nice one i wouldn't of though of that until after i bet, Quite looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

As i had no dry ice spent the morning making hash instead need to clear the freezer out!

Smoke342

It's actually fairly easy to single solvent dewax without dry ice if you have a miX of 20-30% propane like Newport or Power 5 for example but nearly impossible with nbutane as its boiling point is around 0C while propane is closer to -60C.

With dry ice even easier but I would recommend using fairly thick glass and not metal as metal will get too cold and trap alot of yellow oil with the precipitate, from my experience. If I recall had a hard time getting pure nbutane to dewax even with dry ice so might want to get a nice propane mix anyway. Plus nbutane always comes out darker, nobody wants that.

I would just let the solution sit in a cooler for a an hour or two to crystallize out the waxes but often times alot of thcA will also crystallize out so make sure you save the "dewax" if it's not looking too nasty and even if it is might consider making some brownies with it? I don't know.

brown_thumb

Maybe wait until Winter? I'm surprised people don't do extractions outdoors in Winter to be honest.

Winter days here are generally 50-70F and nights are 35-60F. It does get colder sometimes but those are the averages. We're expecting a warmer winter than usual this year.

MD84

How are you guys providing vacuum for the filtration? I'm looking at a welch dry pump myself for this but the high cost means the closed loop system has to wait