What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Save already ran BHO

terpsandsours

Could I fill my shatter platter with sappy waxy oil that I didn't produce/purge properly, re-run butane and soak it. Possibly dewax by pouring the solution into a mason, letting it chill in dry ice then filter it. And purge as normal for shatter?

I'm worried I may not be able to get the oil to dissolve as i run passive and would need a cold bottom, so cold starting material. Would it still dissolve? I could use a warm shatter platter if using freezing liquid solvent?

Other than that I was thinking of following skunkpharms winterizing and de-greening to make an absolute. It's just I want to retain the flavor as the oil is not (that) bad or ran with bad material it was just failed tech (warm butane, dirty solvent, wrong purge, etc) and did not turn into a stable shatter or pull-n-snap. Which seems to be the only favorable consistencies for the amber variety in my area . Would love to hear how you would go about fixing sappy product.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Could I fill my shatter platter with sappy waxy oil that I didn't produce/purge properly, re-run butane and soak it. Possibly dewax by pouring the solution into a mason, letting it chill in dry ice then filter it. And purge as normal for shatter?

I'm worried I may not be able to get the oil to dissolve as i run passive and would need a cold bottom, so cold starting material. Would it still dissolve? I could use a warm shatter platter if using freezing liquid solvent?

Other than that I was thinking of following skunkpharms winterizing and de-greening to make an absolute. It's just I want to retain the flavor as the oil is not (that) bad or ran with bad material it was just failed tech (warm butane, dirty solvent, wrong purge, etc) and did not turn into a stable shatter or pull-n-snap. Which seems to be the only favorable consistencies for the amber variety in my area . Would love to hear how you would go about fixing sappy product.

I would start with just winterizing it and see what you get. If you both winterize and process it with hexane and brine to remove polar elements, you will lose most of your monoterpenes.

The raw oleoresin is soluble in cold LPG, just not as much or as fast. If you injected the LPG and then shook the tank to dissolve the resin, it will probably work.

If not, LPG will eventually warm to ambient while liquid, if it has enough pressure head on it. Let is sit awhile and then shake.

Plant waxes make the concentrate cloudy and pliable, but not sappy.

Sappy suggests residual solvent/water, decarboxylation, or high monoterpene content.

To get shatter, the material must still be in carboxylic acid form. If it is sappy because it has been decarboxylated, winterizing it won't fix it.

You can determine if it is decarboxylation by placing a small amount on a hot nail to see if it produces small fizzy bubbles.

If it is that high in monoterpenes it should reek, and you should be able to smell/taste them. You can also bring a small sample up to 115F at -29.5" Hg and see what comes out in the form of bubbles.

terpsandsours

Sappy suggests residual solvent/water, decarboxylation, or high monoterpene content.

To get shatter, the material must still be in carboxylic acid form. If it is sappy because it has been decarboxylated, winterizing it won't fix it.

You can determine if it is decarboxylation by placing a small amount on a hot nail to see if it produces small fizzy bubbles.

If it is that high in monoterpenes it should reek, and you should be able to smell/taste them. You can also bring a small sample up to 115F at -29.5" Hg and see what comes out in the form of bubbles.

What bubbles am I looking for at 115F under vacuum? 'Rainbow' solvent bubbles? Definitely is not high monoterpenes, though they are there. It just is not in your face greasing type monoterpenes.

I have a feeling some may be decarboxylated since I had used hot water while recovering but I don't believe it got the oil hot enough or heated long enough to do so. So I'll have to try the hot nail method. In fact I know exactly the type of fizzy foam bubbles it produces ( smoked on a half oz. of decarboxylated oil hehe snort snort :tiphat:

So the next culprit I can think of is residual solvent and that I know is a ton. All sample purged only 12-24 hours. Also they were ran with non-distilled LPG, could the minor amount of mystery oil I collected after the fact be a cause of the sap?

I'll be testing some things tomorrow now that I know the LPG should have no problem redissolving my oleo resins and then I can thin-film purge them to shatter

terpsandsours

It worked! no dewax as I had no dry ice but oh well :p
um8aT

terpsandsours

Sorry for the multi-post but I don't see an edit button.
Mods feel free to delete the prior posts.
Two different pours same material, achieved what i was looking to do with minimal effort.