What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Clear .............Thread!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How viable is it to fraction THC, CBD, terpenes from a given flower/concentrate, then mix them all together?

THC and CBD are not easy to separate with fractional distillation.

The terpene fraction is not pleasant after fractionation.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
THC and CBD are not easy to separate with fractional distillation.

The terpene fraction is not pleasant after fractionation.

The Guild is somehow very effectively pulling off the terpenes intact during their process, they add them back in, and at Chalice, even had a terpene mister system around the canopy of their vendor tent reining holy fog.

Attachments

• P1020319.jpg
    P1020319.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 17

A6 Grower

Veteran
for collecting terps youd use a differnt method(its here somewhere), also youd extract the terps from fresh material and then you would extract your cannabinoids with whatever solvent your using and do a distillation. THEN you would add those terps your collected first for an AWESOME POTENT product.

mobin

for collecting terps youd use a differnt method(its here somewhere), also youd extract the terps from fresh material and then you would extract your cannabinoids with whatever solvent your using and do a distillation. THEN you would add those terps your collected first for an AWESOME POTENT product.
A6Grower, i've got a few questions for you id like to ask outside of this thread is there a way to reach you, i dont see a private message feature on this board...

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Guild is somehow very effectively pulling off the terpenes intact during their process, they add them back in, and at Chalice, even had a terpene mister system around the canopy of their vendor tent reining holy fog.

Did they say how?

I've seen good usable monoterpene extraction results with steam extraction, but not from shortpath.

Did they say how?

I've seen good usable monoterpene extraction results with steam extraction, but not from shortpath.

You can pull them off by introducing a significant amount of water to your crude before distillation. Don't exceed 50C and collect your water fraction alone. The terps will come with the water without too much degradation. Lower temperatures work but the terp/water ratio starts to get pretty low at lower temperatures, slowing distillation to a crawl.

LostTribe

Premium user
Wow just checking back in and there's a lot of good information already doing around here keep it coming! I want to see this process walked through!

I've seen lots of people claiming to be consultants of this process to make The Clear or more specifically Thc distillate and let me tell you that it's a pretty penny to have a person walking you through. I heard of one business place charging $4000 for a 1 day class!

corky1968

Veteran
I've seen lots of people claiming to be consultants of this process to make The Clear or more specifically Thc distillate and let me tell you that it's a pretty penny to have a person walking you through. I heard of one business place charging $4000 for a 1 day class!

Real science was never a low budget thing and never will be. You need to learn the chemical and physical properties
of everything involved if you plan on doing it right. There's some serious Chemistry and Laboratory work involved if
anyone plans on getting pharmaceutical grade products from naturals source materials.

Good Luck.

Real science was never a low budget thing and never will be. You need to learn the chemical and physical properties
of everything involved if you plan on doing it right. There's some serious Chemistry and Laboratory work involved if
anyone plans on getting pharmaceutical grade products from naturals source materials.

Good Luck.

Real science? Bro science more like it.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can you make clear w pho made from bbq propane or will the smell not be removed?

We were able to reduce it significantly in the propane using VICI Metronics molecular sieve gas filters, but not reliably enough to base a process on. Human sensory threshold is in the low parts per billionth.

I haven't tried to remove it with short path distillation, but it looks like it boils at 35C, which is low enough that I sent an email to Pharmer Joe for his thoughts.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've tried it with just powdered activated carbon packed in an extractor tube (a turkey baster) as a test, it worked, but I don't know how little filter medium you can get away with or how long a filter will last. If you'd like to try it, the turkey bastor sucked, I had back up pressure problems resulting in a huge, messy (but beautiful,) black carbon dust plume! You need valves and filters on either end of the stack, and some packing - waded up coffee filters, etc. Grab some copper pipe and ball valves from the hardware store along with a propane tank, and some powdered activated carbon/charcoal from eBay/Amazon etc., and you tell us!?!!

You don't need this quality of course if it works...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Pure-Fo...285496?hash=item41a61542f8:g:G9UAAOSwxp9W37j2

And if you squirt to something like a Mason jar, the liquid butane will collect and just sit there once the jar temp drops, so you have plenty of time to compare a jar with some directly out of the tank compared to some you've filtered. Of course, take it outside, don't seal propane up in glass jars, and don't even entertain the idea of putting the jars of propane in the fridge or freezer to keep them from boiling off!

Btw, for my test I used a butane fuel cartridge, slightly different nozzle from the lighter refill cans, and all the brands contain mercaptan, like this,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUTANE-FUEL...hash=item3a68d016f2:m:mYAPBerhfsZmt-ExvIEeA9Q

Furthermore, if you use powdered activated carbon/charcoal it also removes the mystery oil...:woohoo:

Last edited:

Brot

http://analytical360.com/m/concentrates/527820

Ive been making awesome distillates, i only put grease on my cow and receiving flasks. No grease or anything on the boiling flask and spd head. Ive been using a robinair 3cfm vac pump and usually pull down to ~1000 microns once reaction starts happening. The pump will pull down to 500 before reaction starts taking place. No vac regulator, just a digital cps vac gauge. Just let the pump pull full speed the whole time. Ihave an RV8 about to be rebuilt. We'll see how much better that will be. Personally i dont thin the edwards 30 is nessecary. Also this is all done using the hot and fast method. My main fraction is usually in the 225 range, and usually takes me about 45 minutes to yield 400ml of distillate.

Hey A6 Grower, this is "Brotha" from the Zon. Have a question or two. Going to PM you.

mobin

About starting material.

Is it recommended to begin with a dewaxed/winterized crude when running a short path setup?

i assume waxes become vapor, where do candles go? From what i've read the vp is pretty high, x>370*c

so am i correct in believing that the waxes will remain in the boiling flask or will they clog my condenser...or will i see it in the rx flasks?

got a pid controller/relay setup with a k themo probe i gotta get setup in the boiling flask to keep an eye on crude temps, std merc therm in the head to monitor vapor temps

croc pot has a nice 50*c bath to keep the condenser flowin
dry ice for the receiver/cold trap is just around the corner
vac pump has been close to breakin 100mtorr on the fractdist glass in recent tests

my boiling flask is a 500ml, i was going to try 3-5g of crude with some broken glass chips to see if i can at least get a little taste out of the receiving end, should i see if i can get my ptfe pill to spin it for me? I've read of how much fun stirr bars can be in thc dist.
im gonna dismantle my pierce reactotherm heater/stirrer to see if the stirring setup is better than a pc fan with magnets. Should i save my efforts and just run with a few chips or stirrer?

hopefully i can someday acquire/fab a decent rotary union and make something that works a bit better.

got some bho sitting in the freezer ready for dewax and about 10g of "left overs" from previous runs that i wanna improve upon today...gotta get some samples to skyhighler :D

thanks in advance gents.