What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pharmgold VaporHawg

Breakover

They're $10k. There is no serviceable parts on the pump or drive motor. It's plumbed with 1/2" male jic in and out

The inlet filter requires periodic recharge in a vac oven. The filter elements can also be replaced if they get too munged up. Pretty low maintenance compared to rebuilding pumps all the time.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dumb question....what type of plug end is on this thang. Will it run on 20amp 120v?

It pulls about 22A 120V single ~.

It comes with a place to connect it to its NEMA 7, Class 1, Div 1 enclosure.

Since it is NEMA 7, Class I, Div I, it is the responsibility of the owner to install to those standards, which can be a flexible threaded connector with wires running inside to a NEMA 7, Class I, Div 1 enclosure, or an SO cord.

It may be ordered to include a SO cord from the NEMA 7, Class I, Div I switch, but the cord won't have a plug on the end.

You can install a Class I, Div II plug if your installation is Div II.

You can also keep it Div I by running the SO cord through the proper gland into your owner supplied NEMA 7, Class 1, Div I power supply enclosure.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's a 220 three lug locking plug. Corresponding socket can be found at any big box home store.

It will work with a conventional 240V drier or oven plug, but it will no longer be NEMA 7, Class I, Div I explosion proof.

HG23

It pulls about 22A 120V single ~.

It comes with a place to connect it to its NEMA 7, Class 1, Div 1 enclosure.

Since it is NEMA 7, Class I, Div I, it is the responsibility of the owner to install to those standards, which can be a flexible threaded connector with wires running inside to a NEMA 7, Class I, Div 1 enclosure, or an SO cord.

It may be ordered to include a SO cord from the NEMA 7, Class I, Div I switch, but the cord won't have a plug on the end.

You can install a Class I, Div II plug if your installation is Div II.

You can also keep it Div I by running the SO cord through the proper gland into your owner supplied NEMA 7, Class 1, Div I power supply enclosure.

Have you had any luck getting regulators to classify installs as C1D2 if the procedure uses the cotton candy technique and N2 back fill?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have you had any luck getting regulators to classify installs as C1D2 if the procedure uses the cotton candy technique and N2 back fill?

We installed a Mk IVC with Haskel in Class 1, Div 2. It uses the cotton candy and N2 backfill

HG23

Interesting. Can you say which state? Was it a local fire marshal that would listen to reason or were there other circumstances that allowed C1D2?

Were they able to get certified using heat mats instead of water circulation to warm their columns?

It would be nice to save the cost of C1D1 construction. I feel like that is such a harsh standard for what we're doing, especially with cotton candy/N2.

Sorry, I know this is not exactly Vapor Hawg related, but it would be good info to have.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting. Can you say which state?

Nevada

Was it a local fire marshal that would listen to reason or were there other circumstances that allowed C1D2?

The PE had to also sign off on the installation, as well as the equipment.

I held hands with the PE, but the clients facility project manager interfaced with the fire marshal in this case, so I can only relay hear say.

The fire marshal insisted that the installation meet all regulations, and was overly concerned about a couple of issues that I believe he will now relax on, but was reasonable to work with.

They allowed Div II, in conjunction with a HC alarm at 10% of LEL, which shut off all electrical to the room and turned on the serious ventilation.

The room had two exhaust ducts, one that exhausts around 5 cfm or so continuously, drawing it by the HC sensor, and a second capable of around 100 cfm per square foot of room face area, if you or the alarm turns it on.

Were they able to get certified using heat mats instead of water circulation to warm their columns?

I didn't try, but WolfWurx SN00012 was a mat heated Mk VC, and the client is currently having it certified in WA WA land. Kirkland Dynamics expressed no concerns regarding the mats, but did require that the control panel be UL certified, in addition to just all the components.

It would be nice to save the cost of C1D1 construction. I feel like that is such a harsh standard for what we're doing, especially with cotton candy/N2.

Sorry, I know this is not exactly Vapor Hawg related, but it would be good info to have.

The biggest drawback to a Div I installation, is the cost of HVAC and operator comfort.

It is very expensive to install and operate a system to temper the air to operator comfort levels year around, when you are exhausting at the rate of 100 cfm/sq.ft. of booth face area.

In NV high desert, with the outside air reaching some extremes highs in the day, and chilly temperatures at night, both heating and cooling would be required.

PS: The two issues that the fire marshal was overly concerned about, was the flammability of the spent material, as well as the extracted material between the Mk IVC and the vacuum ovens.

Now that he can see that the spent material will not flash when held to a flame, and neither will cotton candy, after both have been vacuumed to -29.5" Hg twice and back filled with N2 twice before opening the system, I predict he will relax some. The material in the column is heated to 150F during the final recovery, in addition to the vacuum and backfills.

Last edited:

BigJohnny

So that bad boy costs $10k, presumably USD, currently that's $13k CAD

What would it cost to ship that thing to Canada? I think in the end it would cost nearly $15-16K CAD

How do you even pay for such an expensive item?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

What would it cost to ship that thing to Canada? I think in the end it would cost nearly $15-16K CAD

Don't know, but I'm betting that sales@pharmgold.com can figure out shipping.

It clearly is not for personal use, and is focused on the commercial market, where it doubles the performance of its closest competitor and cost about $2000 less, besides being made in the US based on a premier pump manufacturer like Welch, instead of China.

The way you pay for it of course, is through the amount of product it produces per unit of time, so in addition to the pump, you need a system capable of using a 6 cfm pump capable of pulling a 12" pot down to -29" Hg with it at full boil.

Another way of course is reliability, and the Welch pump has already proven itself in the petroleum industry, Swagelok not only supplies the plumbing, but installs it, and the motors are custom US made UL rated NEMA 7, Class I, Div 1.

That brings us to another key point, and that is meeting electrical requirements for a certified installation. Besides the Haskel, I know of no other NEMA 7, Class I, Div I oil less recovery pumps.

It offers the advantage of not requiring investment in a 7.5 HP compressor, as well as requiring less horsepower for greater performance.

So I guess in summary, if you are running enough volume, and have to meet ostensible regulatory requirements, it is a slam dunk to justify either the Haskel, including compressor, or the VaporHawg.

Last edited:

Breakover

Domestic freight was about $300 if I remember right.

PharmGold takes credit cards.

Rickys bong

Veteran
Are the cylinders and pistons aluminum or steel?

What's the piston seal configuration?

Can we order it with a 3 phase motor?

Thanx.
RB

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are the cylinders and pistons aluminum or steel?

What's the piston seal configuration?

Can we order it with a 3 phase motor?

Thanx.
RB

Aluminum with Type III anodized (ceramic) hard coating.

Dirty peecture of seals and sleeves attached. Note extreme piston sleeve support.

I'm sure it could be ordered with a three phase motor built on the same frame.

Attachments

• piston seal.jpg
    piston seal.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 20