What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Isolating Cannabis Terpenes, Part II: Actual Process

Pangea

Veteran
Link to part one: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=321687
Its not super relevant, so thought I'd make a new thread that gets straight to the point :D

The method or process is what I refer to a Modified Freeze Pump Thaw Gas Extraction.

I had an ah ha moment when pondering terp extraction and once again give credit to the almighty jar of herb. Very similarly to discovering the crystallization in a "neglect tek" manner with a jar of cannnabs, we've also had terpene isolate collect in curing jars of herb after a few or several months, some varieties had half gram globs build up but where never desirable due to what I assume is oxidization. We first noticed this years ago and have it happen very often to varying degrees. Anyway once that dot came into the equation to be connected it was kind of a slap on the face that i was way over thinking it previously.

Ive only ran two batches so far and have not had my results analyzed yet, but felt compelled to share sooner than later because of the heated discussion on the latest Hash Church. Specifically, the issue of the unscrupulous use of terpenes derived from and through unknown or questionable sources and methods. Beyond the unknown if terpenes in of themselves are a possible heath issues, there imo was and should be a general consensus that there is valid reason to have a concern over the use of non pharmaceutical grade or equivalent terpene for use as an additive in cannabis products.
To which it was noted the cost and access limits(knowldege) to these terpenes is the reason why they are not used or preferred by producers of cannabis products that utilize added terpenes.
Pharm grade terpenes from Sigma or other similar suppliers run into the couple to several hundred dollar per gram range. The equivalent, Blue River terps, are the same price or more. Both are unacceptable prices to be readily utilized for the broad market.

Whats odd to me is that if there is real concern over the use of non blue river terpenes and that if blue river holds a provisional patent on their process why does blue river not disclose some information on how people can produce their own safe terpenes and maybe license out the tech to other businesses? Not to mention the aspect of withholdng what I consider to be a fundamental medicinal property and aspect of cannabis. Terpenes are highly medicinal, terpene degradation is an issue to everyone.

IMO fundamentals to the cannabis community should be public domain, and I take great exception to the fact that Blue River reps can acknowledge there is wide spread use of non safe terpenes in the cannabis medical community and will not share their legally protected method that could very quickly stem and almost stop completely the trend and wide spread use of non cannabis derived terpenes. Provisional Patents take on average 18 months to be published, at this point I take it they will be okay with not sharing until then? No doubt that they are not the ones selling nor using questionable products to the community but they are definitely enabling and profiting off of it in the name of the shareholder and mental gymnastics. I specify Blue River but will include and extend my remarks to any proprietary terp makers. The cannabis community was built on sharing, especially fundamentals to the medical and healing aspects of the plant. Yes this is a chaotic time, but compose yourselves, your action deserve little to no respect from the community.

Its great that they have inspired others to do the same and promote the knowledge and power of terpenes and yes over time the terpenes will flow and be available to everyone and be more affordable, but at what cost to the community, our health and safety for their profits and shareholder jerking.

There are no terpene extractors or sellers that have publicly advanced the science or our understanding of terpenes. The knowledge and work around terpenes should be mostly credited imo to GWPharm and crew and public aromatheraputic science and wisdom which is extents to pre history.

-
A method of full profile terpene isolation direct from whole cannabis flowers.

So I dont know if this method is ideal or the same as anyone elses, its just what Ive come up with based on a lot of reading and puffing.

The super basics to the process:
Look up freeze pump thaw degassing.

Step one: Freeze.

Freeze you herb or cannabis product.
Colder the better, less handling the better.

Step two: Pump.

Pump out the atmosphere from the area(vessel) containing your herb, create as hard of vacuum as possible. Isolate the vessel from the pump.

Step three: Thaw.

Let the temperature of your herb thaw out and heat up to your desired temps. The vapor pressure of the volatile components will be reached at different temperatures. Use an inert gas to control pressures.

Step four: Collect.

As your isolated and "static" chamber is heating and materials are volatilizing provide a collection area suffice to condense the volatilized gas to liquids. Shorter the path the better. Collect, if any water is present separate.

We are freezing our herb so the volatiles are frozen or as cold as possible so that when we are pumping and creating a vacuum we lose as little as possible. I like to pull a deep vac and replace it with inert gas and then quickly repump to make sure we've got as little to no oxygen in the chamber. Once youve pulled as deep as you can isolate and shut the pump off.

The thawing process is important and works similar to chromatographic ovens, we are slowly thawing out the frozen herb to release the volatiles, as we ramp the temp up over time different rates of volatilization will take place. Under a vacuum there is not much happening in chamber to help volatilize components, so I have added a touch of inert gas to the chamber to help heat and knock the volatiles around.

This is basically using a cold trap in a static chamber with whole herb. Its very simple and works. There are many tweaks and alterations one can make to optimize or specialize functions for, many possibilities.

I built a ghetto fabulous set up with materials and equipment I already had minus a simple gasket and the inert gas.

The set up consists of a vacuum chamber pot with a T fitting attached for gauge, pump connect/valve, and gas connect/valve. The chamber also has a hole in the bottom center which provides a path to the condenser jar.

The chamber is surrounded by an oven box, made from ridged insulation and tinfoil which sits on top of a small deep freeze with its lid removed. The bottom piece of insulation acts as a lid for the deep freeze.

The condenser jar is situated half below the bottom piece of insulation through a tight hole cutout from the insulation. The bottom of the jar is in the deep freeze, the top half in the oven chamber.

Inside the oven chamber is a hot plate with a bowl of sand.

As the temps ramp up the terps and any water moisture left in the herb will condense into the jar.

Pics:
4O1kHSf.jpg

Couple More: http://imgur.com/a/pyvIo

Requests if you have utilize this method with success. 1) If you are a farmer, produce and provide as much terpenes or any cannabis product direct to the end user as is safely possible. 2) share your results and findings. 3) send me a small sample of your most unique terpene profile! :D

Safety mentions:
1. Secure inert gas tank properly.
2. Use safe heating method.

:tiphat:

#patientsbeforeprofits #freetheterp #yearoftheterp #humanitybeforeshareholders #sungrown #terpstache #ultrasonicterpmobile #GANJAWISE #unitycommunity #cannabis #cannabisfarmersunited #farmerdirect

Rickys bong

Veteran
I couldn't find any evidence Blue River has filed any patents on process technology, they only seem to have filed for terpene formulations. Verzura doesn't come up in any patent application searches either.
Provisional patents are never published. They act as a placeholder to prove you were the first to invent something and a provisional app. needs to be converted into a full utility patent application within a year otherwise you lose the ability to file a patent on that idea.

I suspect the news releases on patents are mainly posturing to discourage competition.

What kind of yield have you had with your experiments?

RB

I couldn't find any evidence Blue River has filed any patents on process technology, they only seem to have filed for terpene formulations. Verzura doesn't come up in any patent application searches either.

RB

I looked into this as well... all I could find through the Blue River website was a link for patent information to their corporate website. Here all I saw was patent pending on their Prana line.

Pangea

Veteran
I meant to write "non provisional patent", not "provisional" my mistake. Blue River has put out press releases when they filed their provisional and then recently their non provisional. The process from submission to public publishing is around 18 months from what Ive been told by patent lawyers. This is the reason why our searches for their patents have come up flat, so far.

I havent weighed anything yet, Im going to guess 1%, the nice thing is with this process if the herbs got the terps you'll be able to isolate them. Some varieties can have quite nice amounts of terpenes.

Old Gold

An interesting point was brought up by a friend...he imagines you stored the jars in a relatively humid environment, as the higher atmospheric pressure probably helped secrete the oil/terps from your herb.

mack 10

Veteran
Nice idea Pang, much more simple than my micro wave to cold trap terp catcher.
gonna have to steal this one Pangea!
big ups.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I've wondered before if essentially pulling a vacuum on the nitrogen while it bleeds in might run the risk of sorta breaking the valve to the tank, causing it to unload rapidly. Does this seem like a valid concern to anybody else? I'm not a bho guy, so maybe something similar is already common to another process and I'm not aware.

Cheers

Terpharvester

I'm sure there is some reason for the the collection container to be half in the freezer and half out but I can't figure it out. Wouldn't you want the whole collection container to be in the freezer. As to not loose any previously condensed terps. Either way great write up Pangea

Pangea

Veteran
Sorry for lack of updates, been slowly modifying and upgrading the process, xtaking it to the next level.

Dont have a pic of the chamber inside, but its just a 2inch hole the jar seals to the outside bottom of the chamber just with a gasket nothing fancy, just jar lip to the outside pot.

I make sure the flow on the gas inlet is positively flowing while vaccing or have it valved off, I was concerned about damaging the hose or messing with the valvings as well, gotta be mindful!

The condenser jar half in the cold half in the warm is something to take note of and adjust to what your condensing. To much cold surface area can be a efficiency issue with collection and nuisance, especially with cannabs. Water and terps not so much, just make sure your condenser is not radiating that to parts of the system that we dont want to be cold, such as the bottom of the pot in this case, if your condensing enough material that its above the insulation line and in the heating chamber you should adjust it. With running cured material there is not much moisture or terps so having 1 or 2 10ths of the liter jar in the freezer is adequate I find. small terp dropplets on the side of the jar are a nuisance compared to having them all condense on the cold puddle on the very bottom of the jar. Sorry Ive just woken up and am not explaining it great and rambling.

Pangea

Veteran
Harvest season bump.

I've been upgrading my system from what was pictured to something a little less ghetto, but its been a slow process, I have other priorities for my produce at this point so have done much more other than planning for upgrades and alternate functions, etc this will become my priority as soon as I can afford for it to be :p

I was hoping someone else would have been able to verify the results and quality by now but harvest season is here so hopefully soon now.

Still havent pushed it to capture cannabs yet, but I have little doubt this will be a primary function of this process next to capturing the delicate aromatic profiles of individual plants.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
did you hear Indra talking about bashing his herb up in a liquid nitrogen bath before extracting terps on HC?

are you saying you haven't tried your machine out with weed yet? what's the hold up?

Old Gold

Not sure if I understand your post or pics but seems the plumbing isn't very efficient?

I agree. I think it may be ideal to run a dry stream of N2 through the material under partial vacuum. Good gas diffusion would help in such a case. Why not just pack a sleeved or jacketed column full of material, use a series of cold collections/traps, and chill the column to desired temperatures under while under vacuum. Maybe a partial vacuum so it's easier to recondense the terpenes as well as keep a steady, regulated stream of dry N2 coming.

As Pangea noted though, you do want the collection to be as close as possible to the material. The series of cold traps is to ensure you don't lose some terpy vapors to the vacuum pump..

Wet material should yield hydrosols which can somewhat separated via polarity/density, but may require chromatography/filtration over something like magnesium sulfate to really dry the water.

I agree. I think it may be ideal to run a dry stream of N2 through the material under partial vacuum. Good gas diffusion would help in such a case. Why not just pack a sleeved or jacketed column full of material, use a series of cold collections/traps, and chill the column to desired temperatures under while under vacuum. Maybe a partial vacuum so it's easier to recondense the terpenes as well as keep a steady, regulated stream of dry N2 coming.

As Pangea noted though, you do want the collection to be as close as possible to the material. The series of cold traps is to ensure you don't lose some terpy vapors to the vacuum pump..

Wet material should yield hydrosols which can somewhat separated via polarity/density, but may require chromatography/filtration over something like magnesium sulfate to really dry the water.

This gent is a friend .............. he extracts with N2 and has been for years. His oil retains terps like nothing I've ever tried. Not an advertisement ........ just sayin'

http://2one2californiastreet.com/

I have plenty of material to experiment with but pretty limited on time and not sure exactly where to start.

Seems like a low temperature / low vacuum (?) steam distillation with nitrogen assist. I'm not sure if this is Summit's method, but the kit they sell appears to be just that:

http://summit-research.tech/product/ultimate-organic-terpene-extractor/

Ultimate-Organic-Terpene-Extractor-600x600.png

I also recall Blue River mentioning, a long time ago at their infancyx that their tek simply involves nitrogen and distilled water, or something? Or am I mistaken on that?

Where would I even start? What mantle temp, what vacuum pressure? I suppose trial and error is in order but an idea as to where to start would be helpful.

Latest posts

Latest posts