What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The search for a proper recovery pump..

icdog

>You need 40 scfm of clean air for maximum performance, which means a refrigerative drier, a receiver, and a coalescing filter to clean up the air

Are these absolutely needed to run the Haskel? I remember looking up the driers for another business and they are 1000's to purchase.

The one on the bottom says r600a.
http://www.refco.ch/en/products/charging-stations.php

This may be a dumb question but wouldnt a compressor/condenser from an r600a refrigeration system compress and condense the butane back to a liquid? Im assuming that it probably would not provide enough pressure in the out flow to fill a pressurized recovery tank though. But still I'm sure you could get a pretty big compressor since I believe there are commercial refrigeration units in some parts of the world running on r600a. Maybe one of those, followed in line by a pump capable of pumping the butane as a liquid back to the tank. Just an idea...

This may be a dumb question but wouldnt a compressor/condenser from an r600a refrigeration system compress and condense the butane back to a liquid? Im assuming that it probably would not provide enough pressure in the out flow to fill a pressurized recovery tank though. But still I'm sure you could get a pretty big compressor since I believe there are commercial refrigeration units in some parts of the world running on r600a. Maybe one of those, followed in line by a pump capable of pumping the butane as a liquid back to the tank. Just an idea...

Ya pretty sure that is exactly what the caresaver is. But it's not oilless. A lesson I learned the hard way.

Pneumatic is next on my list.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW the Haskel sounds complicated now

Actually the least complicated design of all the recovery pumps, but the need for a large clean air supply certainly adds to the complexity.

The Haskel is just two cylinders and pistons sharing a common rod. One cylinder cycles the other one back and forth. It has opposing check valves, so as to turn the motion into pumping action.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
>You need 40 scfm of clean air for maximum performance, which means a refrigerative drier, a receiver, and a coalescing filter to clean up the air

Are these absolutely needed to run the Haskel? I remember looking up the driers for another business and they are 1000's to purchase.

The one on the bottom says r600a.
http://www.refco.ch/en/products/charging-stations.php

But does it say it loves to be run dry? I'm seeing that as a dead horse and have moved on to a dual system incorporating a Gast DAA-P501-GB 1/2 horse diaphragm pump as the first stage. I'll provide feedback once I receive and try them.

The Eaton is about the cheapest package I've found for the compressor, refrigerative drier, and reciever that is single phase and suitable for home use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eaton-Compr...ry-Screw-Air-Compressor-Package-/171275771846

Here are some three phase ones, including the Quincy, which is top notch:http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...d=6970&langId=-1&type=search&cm_ven=bing_PPC&

C'Ya

pre-cooler

pre-cooler

Why not just use a coil after collection pot to chill vapor to a liquid/vapor state before entering the recovery pump or/and maybe add a buffer tank to before pump also in freezer with liquid line going to pump that should at least stop running dry all time and to run a little cooler as well?
Thanks for all you input and designs in this research between SPR and ICMAG folks great info.

C.

icdog

>Thank you for contacting Bacharach, Inc.
Unfortunately we do not offer anything for Butane.
If I can be of further assistance please let me know.
Regards,
Customer Service
Bacharach, Inc.
621 Hunt Valley Circle
New Kensington, PA 1506

Maybe they don't want to tell anybody they are working on something.

C'Ya

Icog may be better to request inf on CARE 40 (R290) which is propane or r600a both used as refrigerants
C.

C'Ya

Aspirator idea

Aspirator idea

Another possible low cost & maintenance idea I was thinking is use an aspirator design using butane as the driving liquid using a pump for pressure but unsure of CFM rating on aspirators but could add multiple for more CFM depending on pressure output of pump

Attachments

• Aspirator idea.jpg
    Aspirator idea.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 45

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Another possible low cost & maintenance idea I was thinking is use an aspirator design using butane as the driving liquid using a pump for pressure but unsure of CFM rating on aspirators but could add multiple for more CFM depending on pressure output of pump

Ummmm, certainly outside the box, considering the flow rates of 2.5 gallons per minute required by the average faucet aspirator and the need for no back pressure on the discharge side to operate.

C'Ya

Elaborate?

Well GW if manufacturers are avoiding butane extraction for legal purposes requesting info one pumps using refrigerants in the same family as butane(R600), like CARE 40 (R290) which is propane or R600a which is isobutane may get by the legal dept. and get better attention

C'Ya

R-1234yf is another good refrigerant choice since it's being used by Mercedes to replace R-134a and is hc blended refrigerant

C'Ya

Ummmm, certainly outside the box, considering the flow rates of 2.5 gallons per minute required by the average faucet aspirator and the need for no back pressure on the discharge side to operate.

was reading wiki about aspirator pump and it stated,
"If a liquid is used as the working fluid, the strength of the vacuum produced is limited by the vapor pressure of the liquid (for water, 3.2 kPa or 0.46 psi or 32 mbar at 25 °C or 77 °F). If a gas is used, however, this restriction does not exist"
made me start thinking about butane's vapor pressure ~25 PSI (at 50 °F) and I assumed this increase aspirator's effect if I'm understanding the wiki correctly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirator_(pump)

I apologize if link is out of bounds and have no issue with its removal

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well GW if manufacturers are avoiding butane extraction for legal purposes requesting info one pumps using refrigerants in the same family as butane(R600), like CARE 40 (R290) which is propane or R600a which is isobutane may get by the legal dept. and get better attention

It is the flammable class of refrigerants that they are avoiding.

Latest posts

Latest posts