What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A question for the growers using Jacks 5-12-26

Ymir

Are those actual pics of you doing it? My hydro formula isn't blue, it's more of a yellow color and then the water turns yellowish green at high concentrates.

I've tried HOT water and get the same results regardless of how much water I'm using, the quart I just mixed up I put 20 ounces of distilled water in the microwave for 2 minutes and got it nice and hot and then after mixing that for a while added the other 12 ounces of distilled and 24 hours later, the same amount of sediment is there no matter how hard I shake it.

What did you change exactly that gave you good results, just the hot water part? I will take pics of me doing it in some BOILING water and I bet it don't make a difference for me.

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are those actual pics of you doing it? My hydro formula isn't blue, it's more of a yellow color and then the water turns yellowish green at high concentrates.

I've tried HOT water and get the same results regardless of how much water I'm using, the quart I just mixed up I put 20 ounces of distilled water in the microwave for 2 minutes and got it nice and hot and then after mixing that for a while added the other 12 ounces of distilled and 24 hours later, the same amount of sediment is there no matter how hard I shake it.

What did you change exactly that gave you good results, just the hot water part? I will take pics of me doing it in some BOILING water and I bet it don't make a difference for me.

Sup chicken...

Yep, That's real time mixing...

J~Cal/N is blue but the water clears up...

Using the hot water and shower head to mix made all the difference.

Ec climbs a hair as it sits...

Using tap water I like to let it sit at least overnight...

A few hours later ,the same mix....

picture.php

View image in gallery

Im doing some testing on this bucket.
Trying to understand the mixing ratio better...

For instance....

I didn't realize there's a settling factor to take into account when checking the EC...

I left the bucket sit still for a couple hours and got an EC of 1.0..
Which is about the same as my pool 1/2 way between floods.

mix it up real good and check EC~2 minutes later...
The bucket has a Ec of 1.9

This could explain some of the issues I've been having getting my mix ratio correct for a 5 gal bucket....

Curious if any others mix @ 5 gal and if so,whats your recipe for success ?

Keep at it chicken... You'll figure it out...
Good vibes coming your way...:ying:

reg24

@chicken...I think as long as u leave the sediment and prcip out of the res all is well ...the pics are not 5 12 26 but same ting

reg

Ymir

@Alien Dawg, I asked about the color because in pic #2 you say you're mixing the hydro stuff but it's already blue in that pic. Also shouldn't you be using gloves or something lol, I see you're covered up to your arm in that stuff lol.

@ reg24 Yours seems to be something else separating entirely, not sure what would be brown though.

Mine looks a lot like epsom salts, all white crystal looking things. I don't want to just filter it out because clearly I'm missing part of the nutrients that the plants are supposed to be getting. I just BOILED some distilled water and same thing, not a lick of a difference.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Calcium sulphate is not crystaly at all. It is a white slim like gell. Must be something other than calcium sulphate.

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Alien Dawg, I asked about the color because in pic #2 you say you're mixing the hydro stuff but it's already blue in that pic. Also shouldn't you be using gloves or something lol, I see you're covered up to your arm in that stuff lol.

@ reg24 Yours seems to be something else separating entirely, not sure what would be brown though.

Mine looks a lot like epsom salts, all white crystal looking things. I don't want to just filter it out because clearly I'm missing part of the nutrients that the plants are supposed to be getting. I just BOILED some distilled water and same thing, not a lick of a difference.

The blue look in picture 2 is steam.. lol A bad picture...
Picture 3 & 4 are blue Cal/N...

The bucket with my arm in it barley has water in it...
My skin never goes in the water though I never really
worried about it. I just don't want a wet arm...hahaha

Jacks hydro does have a slight tan to it...
Others would know better than I want it is...

I wouldn't screen anything out as it's there for a reason....

There's got to be a Google search with the answers you desire...
Just a question of the right set of words used...

Loves me a good Google hunt....

Hope you figure it out sooner than later,bro...

Good hunting....

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...i don't know man, i think maybe you're over thinking this thing a bit and worrying a little too much about making things perfect, if you just relax and shoot for consistent you don't have to worry about perfect.

...i personnally take a lazy ass approach to all this and my setup is in coco hempy's so there is no external reservoir, just the mini res at the bottom of each pot so when it's time for me to mix up my nutes i fill 6x 2gallon jugs that were sold full of kitty litter, ...that was back before i taught my cat to shit in the toilet.

...anyway, as i said, i fill those 6 jugs with water and line them up side by side and then i take my cal/nit and i put 2x 1/4 teaspoons into each jug, so 1/2 teaspoon per jug, ...then i put the lids on and give each jug a little shake-em-up and then i go do something else for an hour or so afterwhich i come back and add in 1/2 teaspoon of the hydro base into each jug along with about 1/2ml if ph down and i'm good to go.

...i used to struggle a lot with sediment back when i was still using the MaxiBloom and i've also had sediment issues with the Jack's but i never let it bug me much and my plants never minded and frankly, since i started mixing in the cal/nit first and letting it sit for a while i no longer have sedment issues.

...i'd say if you're hand watering you should just ignore that sediment and just allow it to pour onto your plants when you water, or not, ...if you have a system with a reservoir and dripper lines and stuff then i'd follow reg24's advice and just strain it before you dump it into the reservoir.

...btw, the cal/nit granules are very obviously blue and the base is less obvious that it's blue until you dump it into the water, ...at the end of the day your mix should be a nice blue color.

...another point worthy of note is that the granule size is different for the base than it is for the cal/nit so 1/2 teaspoon of the cal/nit, because it has much larger granules, will have more air in the spoon than the base and so mixed at 1/2 teaspoon of each actually seems to give me about the right ratio, my plants seem to think so anyway.

peace, bozo

Ymir

Calcium sulphate is not crystaly at all. It is a white slim like gell. Must be something other than calcium sulphate.

I said I think it's magnesium, not calcium. Looks like the same shape as epsom salts but smaller forms, there are some darker colors mixed in there but it's mostly a clear crystalish looking stuff. Up until now I've just had a few moms so it's not been a big deal but I'm about to start up my new ebb&flow system that I'm new to and don't want to start off with missing nutrients, very frustrating.

@justanotherbozo my base is certainly not blue by any stretch of the imagination as you can see from the picture of the bottle I posted. The pic is really yellow but it has a slight green tint to it.

I'm not even getting to the part where I'm mixing the 2 together and I plan on using this in a Sentinel MEF-1 ebb&flow system so

reg24

hey chicken... ya there must be some nutes in there, thing is that's stock solution makes 2000 L of res .

were talkin 1440 grams mgso4
800 grams of mkp , 280 grams of kso4 and 90 grams of my micro package... if I weighed the sediment/precip It would not weigh more than a gram.

example if 100 grams of cano3 = 15.5 grams of N and 18 grams of CA there is still more than 60 grams of something

my micro is made from shrimp shells I think...total % nutes = 65%, sediment from this product is dark and appears to me to be sand

reg

justanotherbozo

Veteran
@justanotherbozo my base is certainly not blue by any stretch of the imagination as you can see from the picture of the bottle I posted. The pic is really yellow but it has a slight green tint to it.

...is there any chance you have mixed up one powder for another and it's not even Jack's that you're attempting to mix?

...and don't take that as an insult because my stuff is undeniably blue and here are some pics i took jut moments ago that show just that.

...first a shot of a jar of plain water with the date so you can see i did indeed just take these.

picture.php

...and now a shot of that same jar with a folgers can i use as a working container, most of my 25 lb bags are in larger containers.

picture.php

...and now looking down into the container and while it isn't shockingly blue, it IS blue.

picture.php

...and here is a closer look where you can see it isn't ONLY blue, there are small bits of tans and browns as well,

picture.php

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...and here's a couple shots of the water after a 1/4 teaspoon of the base has been added and you can clearly see the blue color.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

...anyone can make a mistake bro, check and be sure you have the right powder.

peace, bozo

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
...is there any chance you have mixed up one powder for another and it's not even Jack's that you're attempting to mix?

...and don't take that as an insult because my stuff is undeniably blue and here are some pics i took jut moments ago that show just that.

...first a shot of a jar of plain water with the date so you can see i did indeed just take these.

View Image

...and now a shot of that same jar with a folgers can i use as a working container, most of my 25 lb bags are in larger containers.

View Image

...and now looking down into the container and while it isn't shockingly blue, it IS blue.

View Image

...and here is a closer look where you can see it isn't ONLY blue, there are small bits of tans and browns as well,

View Image

another point worthy of note is that the granule size is different for the base than it is for the cal/nit so 1/2 teaspoon of the cal/nit, because it has much larger granules, will have more air in the spoon than the base and so mixed at 1/2 teaspoon of each actually seems to give me about the right ratio, my plants seem to think so anyway.

Solid input Bozo...:respect:

Keep it simple~Keep it consistent and don't sweat the little shit.... Nice!!!

I went a few weeks my 1st wave last season with no checking and just going with the flow growing....

Plants looked great but when I checked the PPMs(Just because)
I found I was running 3000+ PPMs...

I spent 3 weeks lowering it slowly then into straight H2o flushing before harvey...

No negitive effects on the plants what so ever...
They yielded good and smoke great....

Jacks is indeed.... Golden feed !!!

Just thought Id share.. hahaha...

reg24

@ justanotherbozo... good post
@chicken think my train of thought is off track and a detour... check the powder

reg

Ymir

I'm definitely not mixing it up, it's still in the original container I bought it in (I got the 4LB pales).

Here's some picks, mine is more of a yellow with a greenish tint, the shot in the light looks more like what it looks like to my eyes compared to the shot with the cal-nit in the VERY BLUE container :D

justanotherbozo

Veteran
I'm definitely not mixing it up, it's still in the original container I bought it in (I got the 4LB pales).

Here's some picks, mine is more of a yellow with a greenish tint, the shot in the light looks more like what it looks like to my eyes compared to the shot with the cal-nit in the VERY BLUE container :D

View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image
...yeah man, while that powder looks pretty much the same, the liquid definitely does not look the same as my blue liquid, ...have you considered the possibility that the tub was mislabled? ...J.R.Peters sells many different formulations so i expect it's possible.

...have you reached out to J.R.Peters yet, i'd bet if you approached it right they would willingly work with you to figure out a solution.

...one quick way to check if it is a mislabled package is to go buy another and compare them, be sure you don't buy the same lot number though.

peace, bozo

Ymir

Yea I emailed them a few weeks back and they wrote back basically saying that I probably used a container that had cal-nit in it at one time which caused it.

I emailed them back and explained that wasn't the case on November 18th and haven't gotten a response since. I'll just call them tomorrow I guess. I bought this months ago but I did buy it directly from them so hopefully they'll be willing to send me out another batch and see if it works.

Jabapc

both my Jacks and my Cal Nit are blue but both are about 1 1/2 years old so I'm guessing IC is right about the dye color being changed...Jabapc

Ymir

Yea I'm pretty sure they just don't use the dye or as much of it anymore. I got a hold of JRPeters and they are sending me out a replacement and having me send them a sample of my fertilizer to test it out. They have no idea what the problem is but they were nice enough to just send out a replacement without hassle so hopefully I have better luck with that. Will update once I get the new batch.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
Yea I'm pretty sure they just don't use the dye or as much of it anymore. I got a hold of JRPeters and they are sending me out a replacement and having me send them a sample of my fertilizer to test it out. They have no idea what the problem is but they were nice enough to just send out a replacement without hassle so hopefully I have better luck with that. Will update once I get the new batch.
thanks for sharing this news bro as it is good to hear, ...i've always believed JRPeters to be a reputable business and it's very nice having that confirmed.

...oh, and good luck with the new formulation, hopefully this takes care of your problem.

peace, bozo