What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what do i need to make well water usable?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
whats up everyone? im losing my spot in the city but getting a big house in the county on an acre but its well water. i could have water trucked in but it would look funny getting a water truck more often than anyone else or maybe im just being paranoid. more worried about security and stealthiness than anything. dont wanna get robbed

ideally i would like to find a filtration system and RO system that could deal with the well water conditions and make it usable. i also would have access to irrigation water for almost free and that could be filtered as well but dont know if thats feasible either?

anyone know of a system that can effectively make well water safe for my hydro system.

budget would be a few thousand if need be.

RB56

Veteran
I've been having great luck with an RO system from Hydro Logic. Sounds like your needs are a lot higher than mine but they have a range of capacities. My well water was nasty and worse, inconsistent. RO has it down to 0 PPM.

I've got a single system feeding household use, supplying my grow AND directly feeding the humidifier in my grow room - don't have to lug water and doesn't plug the humidifier with minerals.

Be sure to have a sediment filter ahead of the RO. Saves maintenance on the RO system.

troutman

Seed Whore
1st thing 1st. Get the well drilled and get a water test.

The water test will tell you how bad the water is and what should be done to treat it.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Test first, as suggested above.

Irrigation shouldn't need treatment as long as it's being used outdoors.
Testing it for colloidal minerals might make sense so you can adjust soil amendments accordingly.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Definitely get the water tested. Once you know what's in it, you can look up pre-filters to remove it. ;) Gosh I love growing with r/o water. lol As well as drinking, cooking with it. :) I've used a stealth r/o 100 for a few years, works great.

R/O machines require 40-80psi of water pressure. You'll most likely have to get a pump setup for reaching these pressures. Having a pump would also allow you to use irrigation water. ;) Be sure to plumb your runoff water to somewhere useful like your garden or lawn. :D

Desert Hydro

Veteran
cool thanks guys. if i end up getting the property i will get both the well and irrigation tested. from there i can design my system according to how bad it is.