What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Advantages of a SEALED room...

P

Puscifer

A dehumidifier will most certainly raise the temp in the room/tent whathaveyou.
It spits out the dried hot air from the back, it doesn't cool at all, nothing but warm air comes out of it.
Or am I confused at what you're saying? It's possible.. :bongsmi:

P

Puscifer

A fan draws in humid air and carries it through a refrigerated evaporator. The air is cooled well below its dew point. The water condenses on the cold surface of the evaporator and drips into a water container or is led directly to a drain. Then the cold dry air continues through a hot condenser which heats it up and returns it to the room to pick up new humidity. And so on...
So technically yes it cools the air but only to the point where it gets blown through the hot condenser. Which will raise the room temp.

P

Puscifer

I also use a mini split in the flower room, along with a dehumidifier set at 65%. So when the AC hits the set temp and the compressor shuts off, the humidity in the room slowly rises. Until the point where the dehuey kicks on, which not only dries the air but heats it to the point where the AC compressor kicks on again which brings the humidity back down, which causes the dehuey to shut off and so on. I use the AC and dehumidifier together, one system keeps the other running and vice/verse. Sounds complicated but really isn't.

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
A dehumidifier will absolutely add heat to you room.

It doesn't have two separate fans like an A/C unit does. It has one that draws the air from your space, through an evaporator coil (which is cold and causes condensation, thus removing moisture from the air), and then through the condenser section of the unit where the compressor is to cool the compressor. The compressor is put out MUCH more heat that the evaporator coil removes.

Now if there were two separate fans and one moved air solely over the evaporator, while the other moved air from the space over the compressor to cool it and was then ducted out of the space, you'd have a stand alone room AC.

Bonavendura

I will agree with the above said a dehumi only add heat to your room.

I am running two rooms A/C cooled + dehumi with lights cooled pushing fresh air through and split
outside again.Pushing air through lights is doable with no or minimum leaks.i am planning my CO2
enrichment now but i have a question for you too.

In a sealed room AC cooled,how do you keep lightsoff temps cooler than lightson temps.All minisplits have functions for on and off.No one have different temp setting for each on/off

Granger2

Veteran
At the same AC temp setting [24/7], your plants will be cooler during lights off. It's virtually certain that your AC cannot keep the air between your lamps and plant canopy as cool as the air in the rest of the room. During lights off, the zone between lamps and canopy should be pretty well the same temp as in the rest of the room. Also, there's no radiant heat at night. -granger

Andyo

Veteran
2 12/12 rooms back to back

2 12/12 rooms back to back

In wales i had 24 kw ,rooms of 15ft x 15 ft 2 identical rooms of 6 kw where back to back i decided to exchange air between the 2 as nights getting colder in late october.
so one room dark 12/12 the other opposite with lights on 12/12
I stopped outside air pumping in and out ,these rooms had 14 ft height .
i noticed how well they did ,checking max min thermometers.
the lights on during daytime room was hotter .there was a difference in nutes taken versus water as my hydro tanks of 500 ltrs where bellow the rooms ground floor.
it seems with a little ac and duhum the 2 rooms feed eachother on co2 an O2.A

moses wellfleet

Veteran
A dehuey is an expensive necessity for a sealed room... But it takes some of the sting away when you think of all the free RO water you will get from it!

P

Puscifer

In a sealed room AC cooled,how do you keep lightsoff temps cooler than lightson temps.All minisplits have functions for on and off.No one have different temp setting for each on/off
You have to buy the "wired remote controller" that is for your particular brand/model. Thats IF a wired remote is made for it.
Mitsu
Lg
Daikin
Fujitsu
Sanyo
Friedrich
Panasonic
^^^^^^^^^^
To name a few that I know of.
The wired controllers I use (one for the LG in veg and one for the Mitsu in flower) both have the ability to be programmed to change the set temp at a particular time.
It's full on summer here for me so I just leave mine set @ 79 and it does what Granger2 describes.
It's no coincident that all the name brands have a wired remote option...

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Interesting, I'll have to see if that's an option for my Friedrich Breeze.

Although so far leaving it set at one temp seems to keep it 10 degrees cooler at night which is good by me.

Come winter when heating at night it may be different.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I would like to hear from folks who have lung rooms incorporated into their sealed rooms, to avoid the problem of a/c units breathing freezing cold air directly onto the canopy?

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Interesting, I'll have to see if that's an option for my Friedrich Breeze.

Although so far leaving it set at one temp seems to keep it 10 degrees cooler at night which is good by me.

Come winter when heating at night it may be different

Well now that winter has come and went, turns out I didn't need to heat at all, guess the insulation + the dehumidifier kept the room in the mid 60's lights out. Not bad.

Granger2

Veteran
Yes they work. I wouldn't say they are essential. I can't think of disadvantages, except you have the higher cost of CO2, dehumd., AC over just pulling air thru the room. But you can't control humidity and temps that way, and in all but the driest outdoor environments, you run the very real risk of PM and Bud Rot which is a helluva lot more expensive in crop/time loss. Good luck. -granger