What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS for yield?

D

Drek

there was a difference for the better,
hard to describe(for me) other than the buds were healthier looking for a better lack of words.

They look really nice. The plants that I grew with CDM were really healthy like that too(or appeared to be). Nice colors, great quality, etc. Great lamps.

The extra bit of weight lost was probably the 140w or, $100 in savings seen. :)

Your Sylvania's probably output around 110,000 lumens I'm betting(not knowing the par rating).

bigAl25

Veteran
I solved the problem for myself. I run a 400 watt MH right alongside with a 400watt HPS. MH while in veg the up pot for flower and fire both of them up. Doesn't answer the question, but works for my small grow.

Ranger

always stifles my brain when i see discussion on this issue and this one is quite lengthy.

basic science really but im unsure when anyone decided to nit pick the full spectrum into wavelengths and then expect their plants to flourish.

a lot of arm chair scientists have enabled this bs to continue into infinity.

quick lessons on plant physiology-

1-plants use what they want from the available light source.
2- you can grow plants while using only certain parts of the visible spectrum
3- you can grow plants under various light sources
4- you can grow stretchy plants with just red light
5- you can grow fuller plants with just blue light
6- you can fulfill the plants requirements with full spectrum lighting
7- you can do whatever you like

basically you want to give plants as close an environment as they could have out doors and that means full spectrum lighting, you know the kind they evolved under for tens of thousands of years?

you can pull weight all you want with just red wavelengths but it will never give the plant the ability to produce to it's genetic potential period.

you can pull weight with just blue wavelengths but it will never give the plant the ability to produce to it's genetic potential period.

finally when did wavelengths go to battle in the red verses blue arguments. lmao

Jhhnn

Veteran
I solved the problem for myself. I run a 400 watt MH right alongside with a 400watt HPS. MH while in veg the up pot for flower and fire both of them up. Doesn't answer the question, but works for my small grow.

I've done much the same using a dual arc lamp through the whole process. My efforts are strictly non-commercial. Yield isn't an issue so long as it's more than adequate for our purposes. We just give away any excess.

That's the current situation, anyway. I started from scratch this cycle, having completely torn down & reworked the space. That took a lot longer than I would have liked. As this cycle approaches fruition, I'll overlap the next batch using a 330w CMH in a separate enclosure for seedlings up to a foot tall or so, never exceeding CO plant count limitations. I'll probably back away from that once I get the stash plumped up to where I want it, where we won't run out even if there's a dramatic crop failure. Having a lb or so of cured bud & more growing alleviates any insecurity. If we end up with an embarrassment of riches we have friends who'll help us out of that jam.

I want to grow some long flowering varieties but I'll need to insure a continuous supply first, otherwise the wife & I will both be displeased.

A

acridlab

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
4000k solis tek bulbs gettin it in.
picture.php

sour kush

I see hps danglin back in there brudda. Solistek bulbs treated me pretty lame. The hps rattled and destructed like no other. The 4000k mh flickered between blue and pink. Mabe I'm jus bein picky

Nice lookin stack you've got homie. Peace

A

acridlab

^^^ good eye,, yeah, that cycle it's all it did was hang there. It was a 250 watter I would use to supplement with.. I like the Solis teks and I've never noticed any flicker or anything out of the ordinary..I get the same yields as I do with ushio or hortis.. Anyhow,, my next room going up with a friend is gonna b all ushio double ended in acdc hoods.. I'm always trying something new, but I cannot say anything bad about the 4000 k Solis tek 1000 watt bulbs. Treated me good.PEACE

DrFever

Veteran
ok 2growcoco...
show us your *actual* growing experience with hps and Mh and back up that talk....
it takes 2 minutes to cover all of it.
1 minute for each gro 2 grows... ever lol

that was quick....run along now kiddo :smoke:

your smacking the nail right on the head mike,
after growing with $100 a pop super HPS horti eyes for over 2-1/2yrs I finally saw a different way to go after seeing what vapedg13 was knocking down using a $21 4000K sylvania Mh with the parabolic reflectors.
Ive grown with both and my $21 4000K MH can yield as good and depending on strain better than an HPS horti eye.
and vice versa. both can be used with great results.
I prefer MH because there's so many benefits

I deal with a LOT less stretch now, average 12"
Bulbs cost $21, so i can replace all 6 bulbs for about $25 over the cost of 1 horti eye
and the biggest benefit is not having to look at that wretched orange fuggin lite.
recently I have been experimenting with the 860w cdm chem/halide and the quality is blowing hps down in a big way and it's going to give hps a big run for the money, it's the future.
great thread on it.
check it out https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=6664085#post6664085

but back to hps and MH in bloom,
In my book results **Always** speak for themselves....

View Image
View Image
View Image

View Image

This crap is still going on hahaha Who Fawking Cares just grow your weed Gnome your really starting to look like a fool fighting over this really now ???? You posts pictures of a big yielding strain and its suppose to change everyone's perspective or posting a picture of a mh grown bud then a small hps grown hahaha your hilarious.....
and by the way looks like the first picture?? your posted has Hemp russet mites how the leafs are folded over like that????
Everyone's grow environments are different strains are different just because you seem to see better performance from MH then hps many jedi growers have thrown away the less efficient MH all together and stick to the double ended units for performance
You want the best light on the market then look no further
all this thread has become is a GONG SHOW here T5 grown hahaha hahaha see big buds as well

Attachments

• gallery_36770_15841_327815.jpg
    gallery_36770_15841_327815.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 15857harvestpile.jpg
    15857harvestpile.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20130109_100044.jpg
    IMG_20130109_100044.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 49
  • user161619_pic1256038_1400686570.jpg
    user161619_pic1256038_1400686570.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 50

DrFever

Veteran
ummmm....you sure seem to by the looks of it
and losing nappy time sleep over it too kiddo :smoke:

TBO only a clown would think MH out yields HPS or better yet DE
hence your avatar its to different ball games there son like playing little league such as your self or playing the Big league as many do

I feel for you tho when money is tight then them 20.00 dollar MH that you use will do the job
In my world of growing or anyone else that has experience,, see that MH is not efficient , produces more heat then what its good for ,, hence the reason i switched to Gavita DE's Bottom line its more efficient and produces less heat and par comparison well lets say it will kill your 20.00 dollar bulbs
This is also why many growers have thrown MH in the garbage out with the old technology and in with the new funny if you go have a walk in a museum you will find them there already...

CMH in every aspect would kill MH although CMH is still new maybe when the day comes where there is 1000 - 1150 watt CMH i probably will purchase one until then its gong with the flow of efficiency

Rumor has it Gavita is coming out with a 1800 watt CMH

You will get the MH fruitcake;s from all around saying HPS causes to much stretch in veg TBO when a grower hones his growing skills stretching is beneficial and with proper training you will grow and yield much better end product but again that is another story

PS i was kidding about Gavita;s 1800 CMH figured i post some BS that is all over this thread
Have a good day folks and keep her green

Attachments

• DSCF2494.jpg
    DSCF2494.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 43

Bongstar420

TBO only a clown would think MH out yields HPS or better yet DE
hence your avatar its to different ball games there son like playing little league such as your self or playing the Big league as many do

I feel for you tho when money is tight then them 20.00 dollar MH that you use will do the job
In my world of growing or anyone else that has experience,, see that MH is not efficient , produces more heat then what its good for ,, hence the reason i switched to Gavita DE's Bottom line its more efficient and produces less heat and par comparison well lets say it will kill your 20.00 dollar bulbs
This is also why many growers have thrown MH in the garbage out with the old technology and in with the new funny if you go have a walk in a museum you will find them there already...

CMH in every aspect would kill MH although CMH is still new maybe when the day comes where there is 1000 - 1150 watt CMH i probably will purchase one until then its gong with the flow of efficiency

Rumor has it Gavita is coming out with a 1800 watt CMH

You will get the MH fruitcake;s from all around saying HPS causes to much stretch in veg TBO when a grower hones his growing skills stretching is beneficial and with proper training you will grow and yield much better end product but again that is another story

PS i was kidding about Gavita;s 1800 CMH figured i post some BS that is all over this thread
Have a good day folks and keep her green

I've got some stuff that appears to put more weight on with extra 575-630nm all else being equal...I got another that seems to push more with more 400-430/500-550nm all else being equal. One will be quite airy without sufficient 450nm light but does not appear to vary much in yield over different spectra balances.

That cut is clearly something which does well with lots of 450nm, 575nm, 610nm.

If you were about "efficiency" you'd be pushin LED systems. Too bad the capital is far more prohibitive than a not really that advanced Gavita. I think monetary efficiency is best fit

-$15/9mo cheap MH, $90/9mo Gravita DE, $100-375/9mo LED-

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/article...s-186-lm-w-led-98-3-lm-w-led-streetlight.html

2009 already...

Last edited:

the gnome

Veteran
btw it's pretty obvious, bongstar420 is right about your set up probs
you need to listen up to Bongstar420
**he knows what he's talking about**
a lot of others have tried to help you out...
and get a shit pie in return
All I did was post helping information to the OP. Don't attack me please. Doesn't even look as if your room is dialed in so maybe that's why you don't pull my weight. If you know anything about LED lights they put out.....................
looks like everyone see's what you can't dude.

TBO only a clown would think MH out yields HPS
you must have clown makeup in yer ears, eyes or your bum there boss.
TBO your going to get good results either way running MH or HPS its what ever the grower chooses,,
you said this on the previous page before this one lol

Ive never said a word to because of the way you treat people
you've been dumping on with me and my MH grows for 2 yrs now,
MH sucks this minute and they're fine a page later, then they suck again depending which thread your posting in.
you plagerize other peoples grow projects put online,
modified it to make it look like your opinion is right in a debate here.
it's either no class or low class.
this is why I ignore you,
occassionaly mentioning you in the 2nd or 3rd person.
you got's obvious issues with ego/attention whore control issues,
thats run of the mill forum life
but there's other fuct up stuff going on with you.
so here we are BACK to your usual I'm the man/belittling others script
and starting up your month long menstrual wedgies

you keep working on those issues boss......K

Mosca luvs My MH
picture.php

$21 MH 4000K sylvania
the only thing it''l get ya is a bad case of the floppies
picture.php

willowz

I'm sure that it probably is the best high wattage conventional grow light that they have built. That does not mean that it is the best grow lamp that they have ever built - the statement restricts what they are addressing.

You continually miss the point that not everyone wants to run 1kw lamps. I know all about HPS - after 30+ years of industrial electrical work, I've installed literally thousands of them. I grew under them over 30 years ago. They are wonderful for their intended application, but they make colors, and particularly plants, look like shit. I enjoy tending my garden, and have no interest in doing it under a light that makes it look like a factory floor.

If I was doing this for a living, I'd be using Gavita's and the 1000 DE 400v lamp. I'm not, so I don't. I've never claimed that it would be best for you - as far as I went was saying that the 315w would kick the shit out of a 400w HPS. I stand by that remark.

I'm really wondering about the bolded text. Would you still assert that statement? Doesn't a dual 315w Agro or Greenpower bulbs compare to the 1000DE 400v lamp, while at the same time saving money? If not, then I can only see the use of CDM bulbs to provide for the veg stage (a.la PHILIPS 315W 945 T12). Optimally I think the best bang for your buck to get out of the CDM series is to have a dual series with one lamp being the Agro and the other a 4200K one. Am I just rambling here?

Thanks

Bongstar420

I had a 4k bulb that had spectrum fluctuation. They don't yield for crap either though.

I see hps danglin back in there brudda. Solistek bulbs treated me pretty lame. The hps rattled and destructed like no other. The 4000k mh flickered between blue and pink. Mabe I'm jus bein picky

Nice lookin stack you've got homie. Peace

Latest posts

Latest posts