What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS for yield?

the gnome

Veteran
hey thanks tokersmoke... :)

its da 1st run in my new room,
I hit a few bumps in the learning curve going sealed
but I think it'll shake out pretty good come chop time,

lol.... and I still have another 20 some odd days to go.....

these $21 Mh bulbs put out the goods, I packed up my super hps horti eyes last year.
I guess if the plants are too small I can use em to get tons of stretch :D

my average is 8-12"
this is around 30 days
picture.php

Last edited:
A

Asche

i am watching this one closely
my next grow will be held with mh either
on a pure sativa

Hmong

Veteran
6wks
$21 Mh bulb

this looks great! awesome frost though!!!

do you think a 4200K would work like the same? I mean 200K might not bei much difference anyway but I am no expert.
the 4200K sylvania is the only I can get my hands on.

cheerz - Hmong

Just a few thoughts on this subject. My 400 watt MH puts out 30,000 lumens, my 400 watt HPS puts out 48,000 lumens. That's half again more light output for the same energy used.
A MH has a life of 10,000 hours where as a HPS is around 20,000 hours. ( Not that I would ever run my bulbs that long). I have a friend who uses a 750watt MH all the way through. I out yield him every time with just a 400 HPS.( I do have 30+ years of experience on him.)
For cost effectiveness' The HPS is going to win.

the gnome

Veteran

do you think a 4200K would work like the same? I mean 200K might not bei much difference anyway but I am no expert.

cheerz - Hmong

Ive never used a 4200K so i couldn't say..
there's plenty of 4000K mh bulbs out there, doesn't have ta be a sylvie H'mong

look for a plusrite.... :smoke:

Just a few thoughts on this subject. My 400 watt MH puts out 30,000 lumens, my 400 watt HPS puts out 48,000 lumens. That's half again more light output for the same energy used.
A MH has a life of 10,000 hours where as a HPS is around 20,000 hours. ( Not that I would ever run my bulbs that long). I have a friend who uses a 750watt MH all the way through. I out yield him every time with just a 400 HPS.( I do have 30+ years of experience on him.)
For cost effectiveness' The HPS is going to win.

theres so many variables in your statement MT between your gro and your friend,
not to mention the 30yrs :smoke:
but one thing i can say is to check out threads on how plants *see* light....
its not in lumens, lumens are a given for human eyes, not plants

Hmong

Veteran

sure no offense, I was just askinng on your opinion.
As I ve already said I'm from europe so 220V is another game. plusrite is 110V, at least what I found out after a quick google
I found one German Brand with 3500K for 18€ this is worth a try.
ridiciously cheap compared to my phillips (30€) and has the same l/W and lifetime.

I am courious how this spektrum will perform since it seems to be even more of the red/yellow? :)

theres so many variables in your statement MT between your gro and your friend,
not to mention the 30yrs :smoke:
but one thing i can say is to check out threads on how plants *see* light....
its not in lumens, lumens are a given for human eyes, not plants
Yes I know there is a lot of variables in my post and I do know how plants see and use light. But look for par values on these bulbs you are using and see what you find.

the gnome

Veteran
hey hmong, sorry i missed that your in europe

Mtoker, well no I didn't lookfor it, not really that intrested in what par value it is tbh.
but the type bulb is listed on the previous page in this thread if ya wanna give it a go :smoke:

Yes I know there is a lot of variables

I forgot to add on all the variables between you and your friends gro
if he's not using 4000k bulbs in bloom but the higher end blue bulbs
and it sounds like he is, his yield is crap

Last edited:

RB56

Veteran

cheerz - Hmong
That's only 5% difference.

Mikenite69

Veteran
Damn guys you just had me pull out my metal halide to see what sprectrum it is..lol.

To bad its a 5600k sprectrum but looks white as day light when its running but u can also see the blue tint to it.

Years ago I use to just run a metal halide for veg and flower and I use to get huge buds with it. I also use to run the cheap home Depot metal halides and they worked like a charm. Only thing that sucked is thst they never stock the 1k's only 400w bulbs

Reevage

I wish I could be able to tell you if this work or not but I'm currently in the middle of trying both at the same time. ok, except for clone, the used a t-5 but after that I put them in a tent with 2 1000watt HPS with a 400watt in between the HPS. I rotate the plants one space each day so they all get a chance with mostly MH.

Gnome, It's all good, I am just trying to stimulate some quality conversations on the subject.
I do know from experience that adding some blues in flowering is beneficial but I am more concerned on cost effectiveness and quality.

the gnome

Veteran
Gnome, It's all good, I am just trying to stimulate some quality conversations on the subject.
I do know from experience that adding some blues in flowering is beneficial but I am more concerned on cost effectiveness and quality.

hope i didn't come off snooty,
Ive been really busy running 2 separate grows and one is 3Xs the size of anything ive done, sealed etc etc,
time is just limited for me atm and I'm really pleased with what my Mh 4000k is doing
so for the time being I let things coast with my bulbs
BUT
that doesn't mean I won't keep looking at other options.
like you cost and quality are at the top of my concerns list also

btw before posting yesterday i did spend time trying to find par value for my Mh but couldn't find a thing,
even went to PDF files from the manf. but nadda :shucks:

HPS PAR numbers are isted almost everywhere except on the reciept lol!