What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS for yield?

Biosynthesis

Veteran
My HPS turn out more product for me. Mh turns out smaller buds that are not as tight, but superior in quality. This is my experience.

Mh memics spring and early summer while hps memics late summer and fall for the plants to ripe. Ive seen people do 2:1 or 3:1 hps/mh ratio with better results then just going full mh or hps. It gives the plants a wider range of spectrums.

Stash

What the hell ! I guess I'll jump in here. Many years ago most everyone just used MH and then the HPS caught on. I still prefer the MH if I must pick just one but I like to mix them. To me the big thing here is the space between the lights and the plants and I don't think most even think about it. You can loose as much as 50% of your usefull light in the first foot alone, so distance is a real big factor. I will use a fan to help me be able to put my lights closser to my plants. In most cases more small lights are better than one large light just for this reason, larger lights are much hotter. IMVHO in most cases a 4000 watter would cause a big waste. In a large operation it maybe easier to have the lights up and out of the way but you loose a hell of alot of efficency. Sorry if I'm a little off topic. Stash

Lacroix

I mix. I start with MH through veg. During 12and 12 I use hps main light with several 225 watt 6500k cfl's spaced evenly around plant. Last two weeks of flower I flip flop entire lighting set up and supposedly get a much higher thc content. Either way I have been getting great yields with big tight colas....

the gnome

Veteran
MH all the way
1000ws
veg i use an ultrasun 7500K
bloom i use a $21 sylvania

how your plant performs under each lite is strain related

the nugs are rock hard
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

nukklehead

beautifull gnome.... is there any rule of thumb ( generally speaking) regarding strains.. i.e... indica dominant vs sativa dominant vs hybrid vs.geographically where the mother strain came from that perform
best under mh vs hps??

thanks

tonep55

there seems to be some pretty expensive lights out there im wondering if they are even used for growing and would they be better than normal 1000w hps or mh sold for growing ?

the gnome

Veteran
beautifull gnome.... is there any rule of thumb ( generally speaking) regarding strains.. i.e... indica dominant vs sativa dominant vs hybrid vs.geographically where the mother strain came from that perform
best under mh vs hps??

thanks

use a 4000K mh bulb...
that is key!
what i noticed more than anything firing up this bulb for the 1st time
is it looked like natural sunlight...
more than any other mh or hps bulb Ive used period.

ive had more strains do good under that kelvin ranged mh than not.
ymmv

B

BredForMeds

I like to see wat gnomes plants would look like with a nice hortilux bulb.. honestly.

im coming to see that adding a mh to flower is a great idea.. but not without hps.. atleast not for me.. or the strains I have running..

guy fawkes

Veteran
is it worth using hps for main flower period the swapping to mh for last 2 weeks while you flush?

the gnome

Veteran
I like to see wat gnomes plants would look like with a nice hortilux bulb.. honestly.

im coming to see that adding a mh to flower is a great idea.. but not without hps.. atleast not for me.. or the strains I have running..

it was the comparison between Mh and a hortis hps eye on a particular strain that got me going down this road.
trying to increase resin i started experimenting with Mh
the same plant that did very good and i was happy with under the HPS horti eye
absolutely killed it under MH.

I still have 2 hotis in the box,
i pulled it out on another MH gro and the plants under it(same strains under the mh) start stretching like mad, after 10 days i put it back in the box and my hood was alot higher than the Mh hoods.
i average 12" of stretch with most of my strains now

Last edited:

the gnome

Veteran
best under mh vs hps??

thanks

I haven't really grown enough differing strains to make any kind of call either way on it nukklehead.
what got me rolling on mh, i was trying to see if i could increase resin production.
same plant/strain i was growing under a 1000w hps horti eye from seed was cloned.
i was happy with it under the horti eye but under a mh bulb buds were bigger and denser and in the end way more weight.
i also get an average of 8-12" of stretch, and the bulb i use costs $20.50 :smoke:

Interesting read.I just added an ushio metal halide conversion 600w in my flower room.I run a perpetual room.My new routine has been to start the new plants in the flowering room under the mh,then under hps till the last 2 weeks. the plants finishing out go back under the halide for the last two weeks.The potency the halide adds is incredible.In addition the whole room gets a mix of both spectrums.I run the plants finishing under the halide to almost bone dry then harvest when ready.The trich production is through the roof!!

The reason i decided to try it came from a movie see more buds.One of the growers featured used halides from beginning to end.He had monster yeilds and swore by the ability of the halide to add a hallucinogenic effect .

I dont have any side by sides but i might change to all halide and see what happens.I may even swap out bulbs periodically to get the effect i need.Using the halide in the flowering room definately helps with plants in the stretch phase.My 2c

I tried both and stuck with hps for flower and my for veg like normal...doesn't the 1k hps have way less lumens like 110 vs 140 and up on the 1k hps...