What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ideas For Side-By-Side Experiments

brandon.

Another side by side I'd like to see is flushing vs. not flushing before harvest. Same strain, grown at the same time, same nutes, etc. A nice objective look at look, taste, smell, and potency.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
The ones where we change pot sizes I could do. The ones where we try different types of pots (air pots vs regular) I could do. Defol vs. not defol I could do. LST vs FIM vs ETC I could do.

All the ones where people want to have 1000w bulbs tested or HPS vs MH vs HPS/MH would not be possible in my cab.

If someone wants to volunteer their 2x1000w setup for such tests, we could certainly do them.

I offered my cab because #1, I won't really need it once I build my new one and #2 it's perfect for side-by-side tests since it has two IDENTICAL chambers with IDENTICAL lighting and IDENTICAL intake & exhaust.

S

Space Ghost

FIM mean "Fuck I Missed"
FIM is an acronym for not topping the plant correctly.

FIM (as i understand it) is a technique where you take a razor and cut off most of the tissue (bout 70%) from the apical meristem and then it will turn into 3-6 new shoot if done correctly. But yes it means "fuck i missed" simply because of the difficulty of knowing where to cut.

The side by side comparison I'd like to see would be super delux, super expensive 600 or 1K vs a street light hps bulb

Fresh Start

Another side by side I'd like to see is flushing vs. not flushing before harvest. Same strain, grown at the same time, same nutes, etc. A nice objective look at look, taste, smell, and potency.

+1

My question.
Recirculating Rez. Topic:
Faster change outs vs. slow to no change outs (of nute water)

There are better suggestions on here, but thought I'd share anyways

Plant Organics vs Animal Organics

Plant Organics vs Animal Organics

Molasses Vs. No Molasses as a finisher would be interesting.

that's easy. no. don't get me started. lol ;)

side by side: plant organics vs. animal organics.

there are folks who use primarily plant derived nutrition (ie jaykush), and folks who use primarily animal (ie 420god). both organics in the 'back to earth no bottled nutes' sense.

M

Mybud

IC Mag's Consumers guide to growing products
I have a bag of Suretogrow's product, Hail, being shipped to do some testing:tiphat:

B

Bob Smith

I had PM'd Sleepy and said I'd do a defoliated vs. non-defoliated, but I'm changing my mind - I'm gonna do a foliar fed vs. non-foliar fed PK booster and see what the difference is (if any).

1/2 of my avatar foliar fed, the other half not.

All parameters (CO2, RH, temp, etc) are fully controlled.

I'll post a link when I'm set up (a month, roughly).

I

icon

i know mollassas works great in soil but what about hydro & coco
i use honey in coco during bloom & i actually once tried 100% amber maple syrup a comparason of these sugars in coco,hydro & soil would be interesting me thinks.

Great thread. I'd like to see control groups with phosphorus booster vs no booster.
The defoliated v.s non-defoliated would be very interesting.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
when im up and running with more effeciency i wanna do the following...double 600s vs 1k.....and FFOF vs COCO/perlite in a drip system....

coco/perlite hands down will kick the shit out of soil, 1000's as well trounce the 600's I have done both before and this is my valid honest opinion.

Sleepy

Veteran
just suggestions, please...

we are not here to argue.

data and facts will determine results, not opinions.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
sleepy do a side by side with same plant and as many different base nutes as you can find... would be nice to see which one does what....

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
coco/perlite hands down will kick the shit out of soil, 1000's as well trounce the 600's I have done both before and this is my valid honest opinion.

yea it will do good in speed and maybe yeild...but what about quality? i ran a coco run a few years back and my nugs didnt come out as frosty as my FFOF runs, but it might have been bad genetics, so im gonna use all the same strain. my og kush in FFOF quality is very very nice....if coco can make the same a week faster than lets dooo it. also in soil dont gotta use that much nutes, or water that much. more work with coco...so gonna run both and see what i like.

imadoofus

Veteran
encouraging others are interested in a nutrient comparison. my best buds are produced with base nutes, calmag and a pk booster at the end of flowering.

in regards to the light test of 2 600s vs 1 1000, it would be too subjective if the 600's out perform the 1000... but, if the 1000 surpassed the 600's while forfitting almost 1/4 in power... that would speak volumes.

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
I think it proves we need a (2)600w vs a 1000w side by side. Not just another thread comparing pro's and con's. Well be here all day with lack of evidence and subjective experience. Unless someone can come with hard proof.

ekoostikush

I've always heard that (2) 600w are better and cheaper to run than (1) 1000w.

On another note: i would like to see a HPS vs HO T5, i've heard good things bout the quantum bad boys, for flower and all.

FOREVER GRATEFUL

chappie

Veteran
I'd like to see using Fox Farms additives vs not. I quit using them and notice no difference at all but I have not done it side by side with clones.

I'm not using them since they are not organic and are way too expensive even if they work, but I would love someone to definitively show that they do not dramatically improve quality (don't care as much about yield).