What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabutter In 7 Easy Steps!

G

If your looking to make some special treats, Cannabutter is a vital ingredient. The process of making cannabutter is basically just melting butter with marijuana, Straining the marijuana And then re-solidifying the butter. This works because THC (the chemical in marijuana that gets you "high") sticks to the fat cells in butter. Cannabutter can be used in any recipe that calls for butter or oil.

In this thread I will attempt to teach those who don't know how to make Cannabutter, how to do so. The pictures may help a little but in the end it's the text that will help you most.

You will need,

1.) A large saucepan

2.) A stir spoon

3.) Sticks Of Butter (Its about 1lb. of butter to every ounce of weed so make sure you do the math).

4.20) Marijuana

5.) Cheesecloth, and some elastics

6.) A couple tupperware containers with lids

Picture of necessities for cooking listed above (besides steps 5 & 6)
5277Preppare.jpg

Step 1.

Bring a few cups of water to a boil on the stovetop, it doesn't really matter how much water you use because in the end it will all be seperated, Just make sure the marijuana is always floating about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the pan.

Step 2.

When the water is at a boil place the butter in the pan, again it's about 1lb. of butter, 4 sticks, to every ounce of marijuana, so if your using a half ounce of bud thats about 2 sticks of butter. Be sure not to let the butter burn, if it appears to be burning then let melt on a medium setting.

Move the dial to low heat once butter has melted, it should look like this
5277DSCF0708.jpg

Step 3.

Now that the butter has melted you can now add the marijuana, Here I used about 5 grams of fresh nug and about 7 grams of vaped bud. Again make sure the stove is now on a low setting.
5277Throwweed.jpg

Stir occasionally, I tend to stir every time the mix starts bubbling.
I usually let the bud simmer for 3 hours, But you can always tell it's done when the top of the mix turns from a really watery consistency to glossy and thick.

Step 4.

While letting the mix simmer, You are now going to need to get the cheesecloth strainer ready, which will also be used to store the cannabutter.

Take two sheets of cheese cloth and fold each one over so they each have two layers, place these over a tupperware container (with the lid off), and secure them there with elastics.

It shoud look like this, I say to make two just incase one container runs out of room.
5277Cheese.jpg

Step 5.

When the water has turned glossy and thick on top it should look like this,
5277DSCF0713-med.jpg

You are now ready to strain the marijuana out of the mix, place your tupperware containers with the cheesecloth lids in the sink and slowly pour the entire mix on top of the cheesecloth like pictured here,
5277Cheesepour.jpg

When the saucepan is empty carefully undo the elastic, pick up the cheesecloth from all four sides and squeeze all of the remaining butter out,
5277Squeezecheese-med.jpg

I throw away the marijuana after this, you can try and dry it out, let me know what happens.

Step 6.

The inside of the tupperware should look like this,
5277DSCF0718.jpg

That means you have done it right, congrats! Now place the lid on the tupperware and place it in the fridge to sit overnight, You need to do this so the water can seperare from the cannabutter, be patient.

Step 7.

Now that you have awakened in anticipation for your new treat, its time to seperate the waste water!

It should look like this now, The cannabutter on top, the waste water on bottom.
5277DSCF0719.jpg

Take the lid off the tuperware and hold it upside down over the sink, place a dish in the sink to catch any cannabutter that may fall, squeeze two sides of the tupperware and the waste water will pour out, once all the water is gone your done! The cannabutter is ready to cook with.

If you do not wish to cook with it now, you can just place it back in the tupperware, place the lid back on and store it in the fridge.

5277donebutter.jpg

And be careful, the high from eating "special edibles" is often considered much more intense then inhaling, lasting anywhere from 2-8 hours. Do not attempt to eat too many at first. And I wouldn't recommend driving. Just chill out, and enjoy!

G

man I love threads that are this simplistic and no frills. Great post. I can almost hear Julia Child in the background!!

Now, can ya do another one on how to make BHO? :chin:

G

Nice thread!! this would have been nice a few years ago when I first was trying to do this, so it should help allot of people out.

KYHomeGrown

this shit is insanely potent...i made some a couple weeks ago and it blew my mind, i didnt use any buds either, just a an ounce of trim and 3 sticks of butter

fuaryone

Haschishin...

Haschishin...

Very good and simplistically put... I just made some, only in the crock pot, I always overkill... and used about 3 +.oz's of bud and 4 sticks of butter, but that was what I wanted to get rid of... it came out a very dark green, I tried a little last nite and it helped my knee from hurting, but also put me to sleep... when I usually take benadryl to sleep... I made 38 cookies today with the rest :woohoo: ... I ate 2 small cookies... awhile ago, but still waiting on the relief... peace. F1.

penguins

a tip

a tip

I've sworn by this recipe for years and recently discovered a trick:

Toss in a shot of rum (or half-shot of everclear if the taste bothers you) every half-hour or so. The ethanol helps to pull any THC stuck in the water phase into the lipid (butter) phase, and almost all of it evaporates off by the time you're done. I haven't been able to do any serious comparisons yet but it seems to make it more potent.

zeppelindood

Captain Expando
Veteran
Haschishin.... that's about as solid a contribution to the IC as you could make man... great work and thank you...:cool::yes:

G

Convinced me to save some bud on the next harvest to make some cookies mmmm damn now im hungry lol

glasspackedbowl

Medical Test grower. Inquire within...
Veteran

Canna butter is nice. Heres come's some made from 2 males and 1 stick of butter. :lurk:
thats thawed out butter there. Still doesnt look right too green not enough brown. :bashhead:

Last edited:
G

Do the males really produce enough to make butter from?
I honestly thought males were only very minimal in their prodcution of thc :chin:

glasspackedbowl

Medical Test grower. Inquire within...
Veteran
well that was from 2 males of BOG's Lifestar. I got nearly 59 grams of leaf material that I boiled with about 5 cups of water and 1.2 sticks of butter. I also added the lose spraps from my tray. I have sticks and resin glands that I just scrap to the side for just such an ocasion or when im out of bud. I do a fast rub with the stems and then take that with the little bits of bud and glands that get put there.

check this out heres who the high was

I took it at 11:25

Feeling really relaxed. I can feel my eyes heavily dazed. Feeling almost burnt out like still hung over from smoking the night before. 11:50

12:15 Smoked a bowl. Felt great after that I wanted to & to the old school at Noon(rap). Feeling super

I almost wanted to get up and start cleaning the house. High energy. BOG's stuff rocks. Its a great high I cant wait to smoke some buds.

Wow. That was part now lets see. I have this all writen down on paper its taking a while to type it.

I wanna party. Igot my BOG seeds saturday. 35 beans for winning his banner contest. 19 sour bubble and 16 Blue Moon Rocks.

Note: I used 1 stick of butter, and added 2 more teaspoons of butter during the cooking process.
I tryed mine on toast. It was decent not as nasty as the last stuff I made. I used about 1.4 table spoons full of cannabutter on 1 piece of toast. I had a light high. I would suggest trying about 3 table spoons of butter of 3 pieces of bread. Every time I burped It smelled like canna butter I was looking at my plants in the bathtub and decided to brush my teeth. I felt weird it was like all the sudden I was 14 again and camping with my boy scout troop. I felt like I was right there by the water basin brushing my teeth in the woods. the smells, all that, came back to me into my head.

G

Hav never tried it but remember reading that if you soak dried material
in water then let it dry out again it removes the chloryphyll (sp.?) and wont
turn the butter green. It was about using weed in homebrew.

G

ghiraldhi(sp?) choco-cannabutta brownies pics in my gallery. If you add peanut butter chips to the recipe , most can't even notice the taste. 2zips were used, all useless oaxacan popcorns but foaf did batch with all fan and turned out ok still, hey they used to smoke fan in th 70s.. some still do. to each his own..lol

dry 1oz frosty trim/fan/stem to crisp
freeze in large zip
remove after 24hrs, crumble up fine
add to 2 sticks of butter, unsalted is best imho to med. size saucepan, simmer butter
add same amount of h20 by volume as butter to start
add plant material
stirring constantly AND NEVER LEAVING SIGHT FOR 4 HRS,
mix in minute amounts of distilled h20 to prevent burning
your oil is done when the plant material turns all black, you'll know
never let the mix come to a boil, once a certain temp is reached, actives become more and more useless. ***see bottom***
this stinks up the house (above part), the rest is easy--
buy a cheese cloth and buy a quart of something at the deli/chinese
pour hot oil/plant onto cheese cloth into plastic jar. cover tight.
put in FREEZER overnight
wake up, have breakfast, workout, shower, open frezer, cup hand plop out over sink and make sure you catch that wad of butter, the ice and muck will spill into the sink.

cant believe i remembered how to do this by heart lol hope its on point, just another method of doin it.

***from above***-Reckon the thc even in immature nugs is broken down further by this heating/cooking process to produce a more (desireable) therapeutic high, sleepy in the end ALWAYS, even w/ the speedweed hmmm THC_>sinth->CBD?? any thinkers wanna take this one on?

G

"if you soak dried material
in water then let it dry out again it removes the chloryphyll (sp.?) and wont
turn the butter green."

Sounds like a cheap water cure
just freeze the shake once dry, it's never gonna be white again once you add plant matter of ANY SORT
blanched or not

Great thread,
moldy buds may be salvaged this way too if you dare, ive used some slightly white molded scrap, it was fine in the end. 4+ hrs of simmer , remember

Latest posts

Latest posts