What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

4 plant maximum - Oregon

cloudseeder

As of 7/1/15 those of us in Oregon can legally grow a maximum of 4 plants. Finally! Total allowed dried cannabis flower is 8 ounces. Those limits are per household.

It's been 24 years since I've last fired up my 400w HPS. The system I used then was a simple 2 chamber hydro flood system with a mom + clones on a 12/12 cycle in a 5x2 closet. With a lot of little clones packed into the space I could turn out more than I needed on a ~2-3 month cycle.

My question to those of you who have been cultivating using modern strains, equipment, processes and techniques is this. What sort of system would you build if you could only grow 4 plants and could only posses 8 ounces of dried buds?

I'd like to yield about 3 ounces every 2 to 3 months on a continuous basis with some variety. Since cloning requires a mom which accounts for 1 of the 4 plants I was instead considering using some of the new autoflowering strains from seed. But after doing some reading they seem to have yield problems unless you get things perfect. I'm sure there will be a huge commercial clone market, which actually makes the 4 plant maximum workable, but until then (mid 2016) I'm looking for the best ideas on how to play legally.

What would you recommend for lights? HID or LED? None of the local Hydro stores stock any LEDs, nor do they know of anyone who has had any success with them. Reading the forums it's clear that LEDs do work as long as you get things set up correctly.

Oregon may have a great Craft Beer scene but becoming a Craft Grower isn't going to be possible under the new law. Too bad.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Im not going to address the hardware issues.....

After a few minutes of thought.....it may require more....

here is my conclusion.....

You will need to grow large plants. (duh me) I would use the scrog method.... without question

A nine week strain would be a good choice.....

So 9 weeks in flowering.....

Then the question is.... can you grow a very large plant with 9 weeks veg....

No.....however with 18 weeks veg you can grow a monster.....

With 4 plants......

A perpetual would look something like this....once the cycle is established.....

Two plants in veg 9 weeks apart.....

and one in flower.....

I would guess an 18 week vegged plant will be larger than 8 ounces......

but the key is.....dried.... if you stick to the letter of the law.....

As long as you dont have more than 8 ounces dry in the house it really doesnt matter what you get from the plant.....

If you notice.... this really only requires 3 plants.....

If you take clones from your own plants..... your clone would be the additional plant....

No way would I waste a plant on a mother....

Variety....I would likely have 2 or 3 different proven clones..... which should be available in your state.....

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
You could consider growing feminized auto flowers from seed using organic soil. Plant a new seed every 3 weeks.

They're making all kinds of silly rules, should be interesting seeing them try to enforce them. Hell, it's interesting watching them try to enforce prohibition. God I hate bureaucrats.

floralheart

Veteran
You can do A LOT with 4 plants.

I have an 8x8 room filled wall-to-wall with 4 plants. All grown with 300 - 900 watts of LED. 25 gallon containers with Pro Mix HP.

Just added a 900 watt LED. About to add a second later today. And an additional 600 watt, until I can get a 3rd 900 watt for the room.

I'd do all 25 gallon containers, or 45 gallon containers and (1) 900 or (1) 1200 watt LED per plant.

mowood3479

Veteran
If u really are trying to keep within the 8oz dried limit u stated in the o.p... Auto flower would be the easiest no need for separate veg n flower chambers.. But I've read auto genetics are not as potent as most non auto genetics.
If it were me I'd do a small veg chamber with cfl.. And a 400w hps for flower. Flower out 2 plants at a time.. Coco in 1 gal pots drain to waste. Keep the veg plants alive and top off ur resevoir every few days.
Ull need more equipment than if u did autos in soil.. But I like automation when possible.
My two cents

Budley Doright

Veteran
You can do A LOT with 4 plants.

I have an 8x8 room filled wall-to-wall with 4 plants. All grown with 300 - 900 watts of LED. 25 gallon containers with Pro Mix HP.

Just added a 900 watt LED. About to add a second later today. And an additional 600 watt, until I can get a 3rd 900 watt for the room.

I'd do all 25 gallon containers, or 45 gallon containers and (1) 900 or (1) 1200 watt LED per plant.

My post....pure conjecture.... here is the voice of experience.....

I think a few more details on your grow would be very useful......

I dont have the 4 plant limit..... but Im curious.....

Howdy cloudseeder! Your OP is a subject I have given some quite a bit of thought to recently. :)

The answer I got for hardware is to start with a 4 x 4ft T5HO. That gives me a great general purpose light. I added some big twister CFL's for side lighting. I expect I will eventually add a 400w-600w HPS for flowering, and just use the fluorescent lamps for veg.

If you examine the schedules I created below, you see that the idea of having a dedicated mother is ambitious. My plan is to take the clones per plant when they start to flower, and not have a dedicated mother. Then I will keep track of the plants per mother, and chunk (quickly) anything that is not optimum. To get the grow rates to be sufficient for a dedicated mother, I believe you would need some king-size lights, hydro, or both.

For reference, I posted the pdf of the new Oregon law here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=304932

Peace!

Attachments

• oregon config.jpg
    oregon config.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 5

rolandomota

Veteran
Fast growing high yielding and potent. I would recommend buying some sativa fem seeds from ace seeds. Malawi ,goldentiger ,zamaldelica ,panama are all strong high yield sativas. Grow all four female seeds together to get a really high yield. The way I see it is you can trade some of your sativa for indica.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Autos may not compare to the best photos but they are still very good. Sweet Seed autos are pretty good, nice healthy seeds with good germ rates. I choose them ffor my first run and yielded over 2lbs from 10 plants. DTW in coco with only maxibloom and a single epap light fixture in a 5x6x10. Been smoking that for almost a year. No need to grow perpetually but they do make it very easy to grow perpetually especially if you are space constrained Since there is no need for two rooms.

That said im growing out photos this summer. I built a 4 site ppk system so im limited to 4 in flower too.

Fyi youll probably easily grow more than 8zees with 4 plants so be prepared to thro most of what you grow out to stay below your limit if you are serious about compliance.

I forgot to add... If you want to stay under the 8oz limit (I do), then one strategy is to incrementally harvest, and not run 4 plants to completion, then repeat. I intend to run two plants flowering at a time, and take one/add one once per month. The down side of my approach is that you need two grow areas or a way to prevent the veg light from interfering with flowering. I am just gonna use a big tub (upside-down) for clone and veg, and the balance of a closet for flower.

I forgot to add... If you want to stay under the 8oz limit (I do), then one strategy is to incrementally harvest, and not run 4 plants to completion, then repeat. I intend to run two plants flowering at a time, and take one/add one once per month. The down side of my approach is that you need two grow areas or a way to prevent the veg light from interfering with flowering. I am just gonna use a big tub (upside-down) for clone and veg, and the balance of a closet for flower.
Oops, one other drawback of incremental harvest is that you do not have an opportunity to break down the grow room after harvest for cleaning/de-pesting. This means that keeping the area sanitary and free of pests is more important that in a grow-to-completion/repeat strategy.

snake11

Not if everyone does it!! There should be larger amounts allowed. 4 plants/8 oz dry is hardly enough for a rec user let alone someone who is terminal. This is what happens when politicians who know nothing about cannabis make the rules. Our political system is so broken here.

DrFever

Veteran
Is that maximum 8oz from all plants??? meaning 4 plants = 8 oz
Any ways i am sure you will be able to source out clones .... pussy ass fems lol
That's the route i would take..
veg them with T5's ... flower them with LED Not sure on your exp but u would have 4 clones veg 2- 3 weeks and flip 2 of em mean while practice on cloning once you got that perfected all your going to need o figure out how long 8 oz last you from there work on timing ...
you cannot go perputual so you need 1 plant in flower other possbly 2 - 3 weeks behind other 2 vegging don't forget rooted clones are plants dam 4 plants is BS
but better then not being able to grow

Kaskadian

Veteran
Scrog gets my vote. Veg em' out, toss one into flower, harvest, repeat. As far as lighting; that depends on what size & yield you're looking to get.

Is that maximum 8oz from all plants??? meaning 4 plants = 8 oz

I posted a link to the pdf of the law somewhere earlier in the thread.

I am no lawer, but I think the measure 91 limits on individual growers is 4 mature (flowering) plants, 8 immature (non-flowering) plants, 8 oz of dried harvested flower, and a pretty considerable amount of extract/edibles. I do not believe there is any limit on seeds, as the issues of seeds/clones/where to obtain was not addressed in measure 91. The informed commentary I have seen on the subject claims the plants are expected to appear *by immacculate conception* I guess that means don't ask/don't tell. The legal medical dispensaries are not likely to get involved in clones to the general public because they are happy with things the way they are now. Peace!

Not if everyone does it!! There should be larger amounts allowed. 4 plants/8 oz dry is hardly enough for a rec user let alone someone who is terminal. This is what happens when politicians who know nothing about cannabis make the rules. Our political system is so broken here.

Medical users are not restricted by measure 91, this is for the general public without an OMMP card.

I respect you opinion, but these limits are livable for me (a recreational user). See the previous schedule I posted, I won't have any problem doing this with fluorescent lights, but if I did have problems, I would just switch to HPS.

The only real gripe I have with the issue is that the 8oz limit means incremental harvest, not grow to complete. I can make that work but it is not as convenient as grow four to complete and repeat.

Latest posts

Latest posts