What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

cloning males and tacoed ladies?

djimb

Veteran
Hey everyone,

I've got a few colombian sativas (one male, and two female) growing in a less than ideal micro set up. My goal is primarily to make seed, and i'll focus on bud with the next run, assuming everything works out well. They're currently in 4" pots and pretty rootbound to control their size. they were started from seed at 11.5/12.5, with a gradual reduction in light levels to 10.5/13.5 as I've read that that can also help to control height, and encourage denser budding.
The whole story is here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=300252

I've been a little concerned about their height and that I didn't start LST or topping earlier. One of the females is looking heat stressed (in addition to being a little yellow from an overwatering mistake while i was out of town for a couple days.

I was thinking this would be a good time to take cuttings, as the females are only just now starting to alternate nodes, and show a fair number of preflowers, but i'm concerned about the curled top leaves of one of them, which it seems is usually due to heat or low RH. I can see two possibilities: either the cutting(s) would die because they're already stressed out, or they'd be thrilled at the cooler, more humid environment and snap right out of it.

I would also like to slow down the male's flowering (balls are already dropping), or otherwise improve my chances of having viable pollen at exactly the right time, so i was wondering how possible it might be to clone a male in flower. Either way, I plan on making an isolation box in the next few days to make sure the ladies don't get pollinated the moment they throw pistils, and I'll be collecting pollen with the hope of long term storage.

vostok

Veteran
What you are doing takes room, no room then you ain't going anywhere...!

1397696920-0_670.jpg

Let me squeeze your adult sized feet into toddlers shoes...see how that feels,
rootbound plants, is a man made fuck up, THAT DOES NOT CONTROL SIZE, but causes great discomfort to any growing sentient being, meaning plants ...this is growing 101

However trimming roots as per the Japaneses method of bonsai as per posted on the site...is not and should be considered.

You have a lot to learn and learning it in one grow, ain't gonna happen, first up go find some space,
second is see your plants wit the same heart you have a cat. dog or gold fish

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Vostok,
No need to patronize an individuals grow style. Its counter productive to the community as a whole.

djimb,
Are you planning on keeping that male?
I would suggest removing him to another space and collecting pollen to hit your ladies with as well as storing some for later use. Collect as much as you think you may need and place it in several smaller pouches then freeze it. When you want to use that fairy dust, remove a pouch from the freezer & later it thaw for a couple hours then dust what ya want with it. Toss what you don't use. Refreezing it will diminish its viability.

Good luck w your project.

Latest posts

Latest posts