What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are you serious? So now LED has walked in and taken over and I gotta learn i!?!

G

Gr33nSanta

I love chip on board LEDs, the first I bought back in 2014 are still running 100%, they could very well run another 5-10 years.

In this picture you are looking at just over 2000 watts of COBs, mostly bought from timbergrowlights.com .

I am very happy with this round, multiple strains (15 or so), 100% organic with no sprays and 100% LEDs.

2 weeks or so away :biggrin:

attachment.php

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Nice grow!

For what it's worth I'm not hating.

If you need to cut heat or are minding your wattage or are writing an article on PAR then LEDs would serve your purpose.

On the other hand....

If you were to use two 1k HPS or six 315 CMHs over that same footprint you would yield more.

inc0gnit0

All good info guys. Especially if Heather. I felt in my heart I was going the right direction HIDs. So that's where I'm a stay for now.

G

Gr33nSanta

Something that would require some proper side by side would be to test the difference in terpenes between various lightings.

G

Gr33nSanta

Nice grow!

For what it's worth I'm not hating.

If you need to cut heat or are minding your wattage or are writing an article on PAR then LEDs would serve your purpose.

On the other hand....

If you were to use two 1k HPS or six 315 CMHs over that same footprint you would yield more.

What do you base this on?

I would not know, as I have hardly ever grown with HIDs and never even seen a CMH.

According to my skills, this canopy is epic, I ve never had such a good round, it's stacked, and considering the diversity and that most plants are my own crosses or all from seeds I popped, things are looking good! It could look better if it was all the same clone, but that would be boring as fuck!

buzzmobile

Veteran
I switched from 1KW HPS & MH to 2 Fluence LEDs. The buds are bigger denser and heavier under the LED.

inc0gnit0

Some of us are curious. But don't have the $ or time to do the testing. I come to places like this to see if I can dig up any substantial results. I have heard good things from both sides. But idk if it's good enough to spend the kinda $ they cost. I'm no longer a grower/mover. I sustained a very painful fur fracture in 2014... On fact I'm in the attorney office now waiting to give my depositition. I just wanna grow meds for me. And was curious about if sticking with HIDs is the thing like it used to be. Or do I need to start learning to build boards and lights now. I still have HIDs which is certainly how I'll start. ... Time will tell as always. At the moment I haven't given my depo. Case looks good. But I'm scared shitless cause I literally hold my financial future. Or a large portion in the palm of my hand. I know it's way off base. But. Wish me luck so I can head West and grow my meds. Because I can't take opiates. And Advil doesn't help as bad as I broke this femur

Jonny Lan

All good info guys. Especially if Heather. I felt in my heart I was going the right direction HIDs. So that's where I'm a stay for now.
Yo Inc, The coolest thing about our favourite plant is you can got to a hundred different grow shows and everybody does it different.
I originally started off using Hortilux 600 super hps, moving up to 1000w going back to 600's, moving to gavita 750's, then to 630 cmh then to mixture 750's and 630 cmh then hortilux 600 super hps mixed with 630 cmh.

If i was growing stuff just for me using one light start to finish, i would use 630 cmh.
I will always prefer to use an Hps and Cmh combo otherwise

xet

Don't bother with bullshit from Alibaba. Buy proper Cree, Vero, Samsung etc. Make your own panel and they're not even that dear, just grab the drivers and Cobs and you're away

All of this stuff is on Alibaba.

As someone previously mentioned -- the haters have no experience.

inc0gnit0

Yo Inc, The coolest thing about our favourite plant is you can got to a hundred different grow shows and everybody does it different.
I originally started off using Hortilux 600 super hps, moving up to 1000w going back to 600's, moving to gavita 750's, then to 630 cmh then to mixture 750's and 630 cmh then hortilux 600 super hps mixed with 630 cmh.

If i was growing stuff just for me using one light start to finish, i would use 630 cmh.
I will always prefer to use an Hps and Cmh combo otherwise

Yep... It's like two artists drawing from the same reference. Everyone has their way. Dude I think I'm gonna go with what I know and what's always worked. Maybe someone will give me an LED one day and I'll learn from it. That's how iearmwd HID. Was given a 70watt security light to add to my flouresents on like my 2nd grow. Then went to my fav supplier... Gotta plug em. Htg supply. Bought a 400watt ballast "kit" for $40 made a reflector out of a metal mail box. Cut off the bottom and back spread it open and screwd a board in the middle like a spine mounted the light. I used that thing till I gave it to another youngun who was only using flouresents. Told him
.. this is gonna change your life
She ain't pretty. But just wait. Of course he had to modify his ventilation and learn the curve but it made him so happy. I forgot that. Thanks for the memory

G

Gr33nSanta

Experience. Believe I don't have any if you must.

I totally believe you. From my experience with LEDs, I so wanted LEDs to work better than HIDs that I was a annoying LED enthusiast back in 2011, quickly though, by luck, I found out that most people hated on LEDs because they would switch from HIDs to LEDs but without changing anything else, basically growing the same way they would under HIDs under LEDs.

What I found was that my plants thrive under LEDs with a organic soil mix, the people that were struggling were the people trying to follow their old feeding regimen and the soil would not dry out between watering.

Sorry I am struggling to express myself haha but anyway, not saying you did not do it right, but what I am seeing is that a lot of people going from HIDs to LEDs struggle because they fail to adjust their growing style to the new environment.

The more years you have on here and the more I respect you, but it does not mean I will always agree! Honestly though, I really do not have a clue which is best, HIDs or LEDs, but I do know that in my context LEDs have the upper hand!

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I really do not have a clue which is best, HIDs or LEDs, but I do know that in my context LEDs have the upper hand!

I believe Phaeton is going in the right direction with a combination of CMH and LED. He also uses all sorts of other supplemental lighting as well, including deep red LEDs and I believe UVB floros.

That guy has tried more lighting tech than anyone I've ever heard of.

I'm probably going to follow this direction myself in the not too distant future. But I've got to get my environment dialed in better.

Muleskinner

Veteran
I love using LED's now but it doesn't mean HPS is bad or HPS flowers are inferior. HPS grew many excellent fragrant & tasty organic plants for me. The Double-end and other HPS bulbs than run at 400v are very efficient and last up to 2.5 years.

My Gavita 600w (400v) HPS fixture cost me about $400. I replaced it with a PL Hortiled 320w fixture that cost $950. I like using the Hortiled way more. It's more expensive but it runs cooler and is so powerful. The light doesn't have the harsh glare of HPS and you don't have the super-heated ball of gas hovering over your plants. The Hortiled powers on & off like a desk lamp, no worries about hot restart or power flicking on & off during storms.

The other thing to remember is "LED" is a general term, all sorts of different lighting and spectrums fall under the "LED" banner where HPS is mostly the same. There are passively-cooled fixtures and ones with fans, bar-style fixtures, boxes, strips or panels. Diodes vs. COB. I use mostly red/blue diode lights for flower with 80% red spectrum but I use full-spectrum for veg.

if you're running A/C to cool your lights I would definitely consider LED. It's basically cut my wattage for two 4X4 tents in half from what I was using before. I do think LED fixtures with more blue than HPS produce more potency....HPS has a blue deficiency by itself, it's only 5% blue, you want at least 10%.

TerpTaster

I've grown with fluorescent for mom in veg and clones, mh/ hps for bloom, and now tried led. The led I use currently is from lush lighting. I can say that I feel the led performs better then fluorescent for veg and cloning, when it comes to flowering it definitely produces the terpenes and resin. I prefer concentrates so that is where it's at for me Terps & Resin. The led does not perform as well as hps/mh for harvest weight. So you gotta decide weight or quality? The benefits of a lower power bill, cooler grow area, and longer bulb life are other positive points for led too. I've been growing for a lot of years only have experience with this one brand of led. Just giving my input. Happy growing.

inc0gnit0

I totally believe you. From my experience with LEDs, I so wanted LEDs to work better than HIDs that I was a annoying LED enthusiast back in 2011, quickly though, by luck, I found out that most people hated on LEDs because they would switch from HIDs to LEDs but without changing anything else, basically growing the same way they would under HIDs under LEDs.

What I found was that my plants thrive under LEDs with a organic soil mix, the people that were struggling were the people trying to follow their old feeding regimen and the soil would not dry out between watering.

Sorry I am struggling to express myself haha but anyway, not saying you did not do it right, but what I am seeing is that a lot of people going from HIDs to LEDs struggle because they fail to adjust their growing style to the new environment.

The more years you have on here and the more I respect you, but it does not mean I will always agree! Honestly though, I really do not have a clue which is best, HIDs or LEDs, but I do know that in my context LEDs have the upper hand!

Not drying out.. yeah. Makes perfect sense. Thank you for the input! Iay give em a try one day but gonna start with what I have.

Latest posts

Latest posts