What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water Chiller : required or not ?

ExoticsRus

* Since I run LED’s and they like higher temps with c02 ( 82-86f and 1000-1200ppm c02) . Would those temperatures require me to have a water chiller for coco DTW Rez system and be watered by submersible pump and wand 1-3 a day? Ethier room temps or cooler

* Do I need a chiller to keep the temperature down ( I use my 55 gal Rez from 1-3 days) ? I’m willing to use more power and be precautious so I don’t damage my teas ( would suck to know I’m killing all my beneficial cause of the higher temps )

* Just wasn’t sure if the threads about water chillers were just about hydro only ?

* if yes , what brands and suggestions and tips
* if no , anything I’m missing ?

ExoticsRus

^ googleed the brand ( nothing ) and when you read other threads everyone stats way more H/p. Sounds to me you just wanna sell your product

Anybody else input please

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
No, you don't need a res chiller. Coco is a "Roots-Out" hydroponic system, which has it's own cooling effect from water evaporating in the root zone between waterings. Think swamp coolers.

"Roots-In" hydroponics, where the roots are constantly exposed to nutrient solution, need constant temperature regulation to prevent root rot for a variety of reasons. These are DWC, NFT, 24/7 Drip, Undercurrent and the like.

Does that help? :)

Easy7

Veteran
Really depends on temps. Don't want to shock with really cold or too hot.

I worked with a shallow culture and had a/c in the summer and the room was cool in the winter. It was a small hps so it didn't put out enough heat to raise the rez temp.

A rez cooler for coco seems overly paranoid although the application isn't completely impossible. I'd suspect other issues being an issue first.

mayorofthdesert

wouldn't a cooler be basically a wash in coco? the res gets cool but as soon as the coco is soaked it'll adjust to the temp of the room & stay that way until next watering, right? im no expert but it appears pointless to me.

Easy7

Veteran
Pretty much pointless for the cost and risk factor trying to be controlled. It should not get to hot anymore than canopy temp will. Water does take longer to cool or heat. It also holds temp longer.

Is the run off going back to the res or to waste? Or jus enough drip to saturate?

The thing about a rez chiller is there is no system that is not always pumped through the rez. If a system only pumped when the chiller is on it would cut risk and energy. It'd be a bit pricey.

ExoticsRus

My canopy temp is 82-86f with c02

I have 12 high/min temperatures & humidity that are evenly on my room and canopy to make sure it’s all similar temp.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
My canopy temp is 82-86f with c02

I have 12 high/min temperatures & humidity that are evenly on my room and canopy to make sure it’s all similar temp.
With 82-86f, you'll want high humidity. Cannabis uses transpiration for both cooling and hydration. When the room is hot, you want the plant using most of the transpiration for cooling.

When you combine low humidity and high temps you get crispy plants. ;)

Read up on Vapor Pressure Deficit (VPD) :)