What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Late flower propagation

So, I f'ed up and lost all of my citrus sap cuttings. In order to preserve the genetics, I had two options - re-vegging, or taking cuts 7 weeks into flower. I opted to take cuts and use re-veg as a backup plan.

Anyone have experience with this? I just purchased an aero cloner in an attempt to simplify things a bit. Will be my first time using any form of hydroponic platform, and I am hoping to keep it as natural and organic as possible. I typically use an aloe, ful-power, potassium silicate recipe with great success in root cubes and soil. Wondering if this will work in an aero cloner, or if clogging may be an issue... Any tips in regards to this would be great as well!

djimb

Veteran
I think you made the right decision. If the clones don't root you still have the option to try a re-veg.
I think you'll likely find it'll take longer for them to root and longer for new growth to appear, as they'll be re-vegging too, but I've heard of a lot of people having success with late flower cuttings. I can't find the thread now, but I recall seeing Sam skunkman talk about rooting buds on sticks and re-vegging them, so it's definitely possible.
I don't have any experience with aero cloners, but it seems like anything granular that won't completely dissolve in water might cause a clog. Since it sounds like this plant is important to you, why not do a few cuttings using your tried and true method? Just to cover all your bases.

Betterhaff

Veteran
It can be done but success can vary by variety. As djimb stated it does take longer so be patient and take a few extra cuts to give more of a chance.

A lot of times you will get a few shoots out of the flower to grow. I usually clone these again to achieve a more normal structure. Sometimes the clone from flower makes a great bonsai mom. Good luck.

2011rex87

For the majority of strains - there is a window of opportunity to take your cuts. Usually you are looking to take any cuts from flowering plants in the first week or two of the flower cycle - after this it becomes progressively more difficult to root the cut. This is because of the chemistry of the plant and what is happening (hormonal ) inside the growth tips and other tissues of the plant. Good Luck... let us know what happpens. If it DOES root from a week 7 flower cut- you could consider the cut to be "Monster Cropped" which is the informal name for re-vegging a flowered cut to produce abnormal growth which sometimes results in larger yields.

I've had cuts with fully formed early flowers clone successfuly and rex is right it'll have shoots going all over the place. If its late and the flowers are mature it might be harder and take longer but its definitely possible.

For the majority of strains - there is a window of opportunity to take your cuts. Usually you are looking to take any cuts from flowering plants in the first week or two of the flower cycle - after this it becomes progressively more difficult to root the cut. This is because of the chemistry of the plant and what is happening (hormonal ) inside the growth tips and other tissues of the plant. Good Luck... let us know what happpens. If it DOES root from a week 7 flower cut- you could consider the cut to be "Monster Cropped" which is the informal name for re-vegging a flowered cut to produce abnormal growth which sometimes results in larger yields.

Just need to preserve the genetics - I'm prepared to reveg if roots don't show within 10-14 days... just to be sure. I hit them with a 2nd dipping in clonex ~36 hours since going into the cloner. Not sure if itll make a difference. Plan to refresh the h20 and add the clonex solution to the reservoir after a couple days. So far everything looks fine.

Latest posts

Latest posts