What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mag def?

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
Hey

Is this a mag def?

I have been dealing with this prob for quite sometime, and I am baffled by what it is.

The plants you are seeing are my mom plants...so this is transfering over to the clones and it is hurting clone production. I am in rockwool...handwatering maxigrow at around 1100ppm.

Can someone please help...is this as easy as getting some epsom salts?

How can I diagnose this?

Thanks

TPM

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks defo like cal/mag deficiency. Can't talk about hydro but someone will probably.

2011rex87

I can see the pictures and the yellowing at the edges of the leaves. In your case - you should go ahead and supplement one of the plants as a test. You should see a result in 3-5 days. If the supplemented plant makes a recovery - you have your answer.

You can certainly use epsom salts but this is dissolved first in water when using hydro. You can also use a commercial CalMag supplement.

Some growers in here will also recommend a foliar feed but in my experience you will want to simply water it into the root ball and give it some time.

Keep us updated!

First off 1100ppm is kinda hot thats the kind off ppms you want in heavy flowering. Whats the ph of your nute solution after you mix it? Most hydro nutes not all but most have all you need and deficiencies often manifest from ph issues and adding more nutes only worsens it. But cal-mag wont hurt drop the ppms down, add some cal-mag if you want and make sure your nute solution is around 5.8 then check the runoff to see if theres is a big difference. If its too acidic add something like protekt to your nutes and feed it with a nute soultion of around 6.2 till the runoff is around 5.8. If its too akaline feed with lower ph nute solutions around 5.2-5.6 till the runoff drops down.

Protekt works basically as a ph up and ive never had to lower ph my nutes usually do that by themselves. If your runoff is trending downwards and getting more acidic that can indicate root rot and whatnot. Its normal for runoff to trend upwards in a healthy root zone as she feeds.

Last edited:
Although being mom plants 1100 might not be too high if they are really big mom plants i admit so might be wrong cant tell without clearly seeing their size.

p0opstlnksal0t

what worked for me on my GG4 room was mixing epsom in RO water at about .5EC and foliar feeding. fixed my magnesium hog GG4 plants right up

what worked for me on my GG4 room was mixing epsom in RO water at about .5EC and foliar feeding. fixed my magnesium hog GG4 plants right up

Yeah ive heard mag def responds well to foliar feedings since its only somewhat mobile and would take longer then very mobile nutes would to travel on its own. Ive never had it much but just got a bad case of russet or broad mites :(

Athos

Before you try anything, you might want to check / correct pH. Weird leaves problems are most often than not pH related.

Some strains are Mg hungry though so it could also always be that too but first step is to verify root zone ph by collecting and checking the runoff and comparing to the feed solution.

Latest posts

Latest posts