What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plastic pots veg coco gnats in drain holes

Raw710

Hi I guess it maybe a repeat I’ve question on ICMAG but I figured I would ask what is the best way to restrict fungus gnats coming in and out of the drain holes on plastic pots. I rarely ever see them on top of the medium, but the bottom is obviously stats more moist and I believe that is where they go to lay there eggs in the bottom thru the drain holes. What preventative measures can I take?

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
If you only have a few plants stick a little very fine steel wool in the drain holes. The little so and so get shredded and that will make you happy. Otherwise the crumbled up Mosquito Dunks work great. You can get the dunks at the big box stores like Lowes or Home Depot.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gnatrol or another Bti product.

Why screw around with bandaids? Kill them.

Raw710

If you only have a few plants stick a little very fine steel wool in the drain holes. The little so and so get shredded and that will make you happy. Otherwise the crumbled up Mosquito Dunks work great. You can get the dunks at the big box stores like Lowes or Home Depot.

That is a pretty good idea with the steel wool thanks

Jhhnn

Veteran

Jhhnn

Veteran
Yea I was maybe thinking about trying those plastic bag pots

We're getting off topic, but both air pots & fabric pots prevent root circling & promote soil aeration. Solid wall pots of any kind don't do that. They also use somewhat more water. It's hard to overstate how well they work.

Raw710

We're getting off topic, but both air pots & fabric pots prevent root circling & promote soil aeration. Solid wall pots of any kind don't do that. They also use somewhat more water. It's hard to overstate how well they work.

Have you ever used the plastic bag pots?

Raw710

I agree. I haven’t seen to many problems with root circling in coco, seems like you could really never get them rootbound. Fabric pots are great but a real pain if you try to take them out to transplant. Which one seems like it uses more water?

Jhhnn

Veteran
I agree. I haven’t seen to many problems with root circling in coco, seems like you could really never get them rootbound. Fabric pots are great but a real pain if you try to take them out to transplant. Which one seems like it uses more water?

Sorry I wasn't clear. Fabric pots & air pots use more water because there's more area for evaporation.

You're right that fabric pots aren't good for transplanting. Airpots, otoh, are absolutely terrific because they unwrap from the rootball. They're too pricey for me in larger sizes but the 2.8L size with the orange bottoms serves me extremely well for seedlings. When the plants are sexed & selected they get moved up to the 5 gal fabric pots to flower. That's in organic soil w/ blumats. Dunno what sizes apply to hydro in coco- smaller, I suspect.

http://air-pot.com/garden/

ROBB LAWRENCE

ROBBO

ROBBO

I use polyester pillow stuffing in drain holes keeps gnats out coco in.I also use e-z wet se by more grow. it kills gnats @ larvae on contact made from sugar soap safe and organic