What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kaskadian's Grow Lab

Kaskadian

Veteran
Evening all,

Recently moved into a new home and I've been thinking about a grow area. I found a spot that looks like fun project! In our new home there was a kennel area that was built into the garage, and it looks like the perfect area to setup and play.

Dimensions are 9' long x 3.5' tall x 3' deep. I'm planning on dividing the space leaving me with (2) 4.5' L x 3.5' H x 3' D areas to play with. One half of this area will be a veg/mom area, and the other half will be a SCROG playground. :biggrin:

Let's get started shall we?

Attachments

• 261.jpg
    261.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 262.jpg
    262.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 267.jpg
    267.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 266.jpg
    266.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 14

Kaskadian

Veteran
The new area needs some serious TLC! Needs cleaning, light proofing, fresh paint, and some minor repairs before we can even get started.

Attachments

• 270.jpg
    270.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 272.jpg
    272.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 10
  • 271.jpg
    271.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 268.jpg
    268.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 9

Kaskadian

Veteran
Did some basic cleaning; scrubbed the hell out of the inside, after sweeping. There is some serious staining in there. Man oh man... I can't wait to get this thing painted! Once the area has fully dried out, I'll start applying some filler into the damaged areas, get it sanded, and then we slap on some new paint!

New updates coming soon!

Cheers all,

Kas :tiphat:

Attachments

• 280.jpg
    280.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 12
  • 286.jpg
    286.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 288.jpg
    288.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 11

Drop That Sound

Maybe pull one of the supports on the face frame to open up the flower section more? Another crazier idea, put a drawer glides directly on the floor with panels screwed down so you can slide the clones and mom trays in and out for easier access.

Looks like a fun spot to work with, up off the concrete's cold layer that's good.. intake or exhaust for the doggy door?

T

TreehouseJ

I would microban the shit out of that thing, or replace the whole thing and frame it out new.

I'm only working with 5.5' of vertical clearance right now with 600w cooltubes, and it's a squeeze. You can rock out without any clearance, I'd like to watch it happen, but if you can throw an extra foot or two in there it would cut down on the work load and the backache, imo.

I have mysteriously lost half a dozen harvests in a notorious cat house. I would be very weary of any pet related bacteria.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Do yourself a huge favor and make those spaces much taller. At least 6'. Good luck. -granger

^ This. You will thank yourself for doing this now rather than mid flower. Even with scrog the lights have to be a bit away from the plants.

Cool area! What strains are you going to grow?

Drop That Sound

Could cut out holes in floor for the pots to drop down in, and slide catch pans with a 1/2" sheet of foam underneath to gain a few inches, and insulate from the slab.

Or do cutouts in the top to mount the lights or a small hood on, and then make a smaller raised top to sit over it.

Might as well just raise the whole top 12" and call it good, at least on the flower side anyway!

Kaskadian

Veteran
Maybe pull one of the supports on the face frame to open up the flower section more? Another crazier idea, put a drawer glides directly on the floor with panels screwed down so you can slide the clones and mom trays in and out for easier access.

Looks like a fun spot to work with, up off the concrete's cold layer that's good.. intake or exhaust for the doggy door?

Do yourself a huge favor and make those spaces much taller. At least 6'. Good luck. -granger

I would microban the shit out of that thing, or replace the whole thing and frame it out new.

I'm only working with 5.5' of vertical clearance right now with 600w cooltubes, and it's a squeeze. You can rock out without any clearance, I'd like to watch it happen, but if you can throw an extra foot or two in there it would cut down on the work load and the backache, imo.

I have mysteriously lost half a dozen harvests in a notorious cat house. I would be very weary of any pet related bacteria.

^ This. You will thank yourself for doing this now rather than mid flower. Even with scrog the lights have to be a bit away from the plants.

Cool area! What strains are you going to grow?

Could cut out holes in floor for the pots to drop down in, and slide catch pans with a 1/2" sheet of foam underneath to gain a few inches, and insulate from the slab.

Or do cutouts in the top to mount the lights or a small hood on, and then make a smaller raised top to sit over it.

Might as well just raise the whole top 12" and call it good, at least on the flower side anyway!

After tons of suggestions to increase the high of the grow space, I decided to build two new grow rooms instead of converting the original area.

Each side measures 6' tall x 4.5' wide x 4' deep. I still need to caulk, paint, work on the exhaust/intake, and finish up the doors. I think this will ultimately work better, and I thank you all for the suggestions. The walls are made from greenboard; they will be painted with outdoor all weather (water resistant) paint, and caulked with water proof caulk.

Questions, comments, and concerns are always welcome! Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

More updates soon folks! :tiphat:

Attachments

• gr1.jpg
    gr1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 9
  • gr2.jpg
    gr2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 12
  • gr3.jpg
    gr3.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 8
  • gr4.jpg
    gr4.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 10

Lesterburnum

Caulk it or foam the gaps air tight. And wrap it with orca liner. No paint can beat it. Well worth it. Gavita recommends it.
Calculate the air movement required and pre plan the openings in and out and between the chambers.
I've used cabs closets for years.

Light traps are EXCELLENT ways of moving air between spaces.

Good job and stay safe!!!

Kaskadian

Veteran
Use indoor paint. Less chance of off gassing. -granger

I'll pick up a can! Thanks!

Caulk it or foam the gaps air tight. And wrap it with orca liner. No paint can beat it. Well worth it. Gavita recommends it.
Calculate the air movement required and pre plan the openings in and out and between the chambers.
I've used cabs closets for years.

Light traps are EXCELLENT ways of moving air between spaces.

Cheers guys!

Good job and stay safe!!!

Thanks for the recommendation! I have some caulk & foam ready to go. I'll do some calculations and make sure I have enough airflow.