What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

St. Phatty

here's the latest co2 measurements, haven't posted these up much
but check out the rate of change, unbelievable - 3.5 ppm upward in the last year

Normally people burn about 1 cubic mile of oil, and 1 cubic mile of coal, a year.

Of course, that's liquid oil and solid coal. But once that carbon watch out, it is CO2 supplementation Big Time. Plants love it.

in 2019 plants got some extra CO2 to love. The amount of wood burned in 2018 was of the same magnitude as the oil and coal burned.

igrowone

Veteran
the latest news from the deep south, the really deep south

WASHINGTON (AP) — Antarctica is melting more than six times faster than it did in the 1980s, a new study shows.
Scientists used aerial photographs, satellite measurements and computer models to track how fast the southern-most continent has been melting since 1979 in 176 individual basins. They found the ice loss to be accelerating dramatically — a key indicator of human-caused climate change.
Since 2009, Antarctica has lost almost 278 billion tons (252 billion metric tons) of ice per year, the new study found. In the 1980s, it was losing 44 billion tons (40 billion metric tons) a year.
The recent melting rate is 15 percent higher than what a study found last year.
Eric Rignot, a University of California, Irvine, ice scientist, was the lead author on the new study in Monday’s Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. He said the big difference is that his satellite-based study found East Antarctica, which used to be considered stable, is losing 56 billion tons (51 billion metric tons) of ice a year. Last year’s study, which took several teams’ work into consideration, found little to no loss in East Antarctica recently and gains in the past.
Melting in West Antarctica and the Antarctica Peninsula account for about four-fifths of the ice loss. East Antarctica’s melting “increases the risk of multiple meter (more than 10 feet) sea level rise over the next century or so,” Rignot said.
Richard Alley, a Pennsylvania State University scientist not involved in Rignot’s study, called it “really good science.”

Cannavore

Veteran
greenland is gaining ice and antarctica is losing ice... or maybe it's the other way around. not really that important, what's important to note is there is a net loss of the ice sheets and its accelerating.

igrowone

Veteran
greenland is gaining ice and antarctica is losing ice... or maybe it's the other way around. not really that important, what's important to note is there is a net loss of the ice sheets and its accelerating.
there is a lot going on
greenland gained some i think over the last 2 seasons, but was losing it before
what's disturbing is this matches the recorded rises in sea level a little too good
there was some uncertainty about the contribution from expansion in the ocean from warmer temps
this uncertainty looks to be fading
the eastern antarctic had been thought to be stable, it's not so stable and that is very serious shit if it is not

kickarse

Its all good I live on top of a hill, unless its gunna rise more than 550 ft
although an ocean view would be nice, walk down for a fish.

might take a bit of time at a 1mm rise per year
the antarctic is adding .19 mm a year apparently
didn't notice the rise last time i was at the beach, will check again next time lol

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Its all good I live on top of a hill, unless its gunna rise more than 550 ft
although an ocean view would be nice, walk down for a fish.

might take a bit of time at a 1mm rise per year
the antarctic is adding .19 mm a year apparently
didn't notice the rise last time i was at the beach, will check again next time lol

antarctic is losing it even faster than scientists figured. have you not read todays paper yet? or do you not trust science? there are folks like that...MOST of them live in out of the way places where they do relatively little harm to normal human beings.

kickarse

How is the global warming going ATM gents?
suppose its a bit hard to talk about warming when ya freezing your arse off

igrowone

Veteran
How is the global warming going ATM gents?
suppose its a bit hard to talk about warming when ya freezing your arse off
no colder then Oz is hot
it's a beautiful balance that nature has, though it is getting a little less balanced

hmm, checking out the temps seen there and what's predicted
we're not even close to the extremes that australia has been suffering through
talking tough changes this? to each their own i guess

armedoldhippy

Veteran
have i looked at the north pole lately? hell, it was in Chicago this week...:biggrin: some folks don't understand that global warming (or cooling) is done with averages over periods of time & not cherry-picking days whose numbers don't fit the curve. freaks of nature do not affect long-term averages...supposed to be back into 50s and 60s here by monday.

kickarse

If you look at marble bar temp records now, they only go back to the year 2001, what a joke, looks like they need to wipe out all the old temps, to fit the climate change(global warming) propaganda(bullshit) we are having these days.

adjust the old temps down adjust the later ones up, its bit of a joke hey

H

hard rain

Nothing extreme about the heat in Australia, its all perfectly normal for summer.

floods up north and fire down south

have a look at marble bar in the 20s if you want to see extreme
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/08/21/worlds-worst-heatwave-the-marble-bar-heatwave-1923-24/
A heatwave a hundred years ago has zero relevance to climate change. Australia is getting hotter.
Australia is getting gradually hotter.
http://www.bom.gov.au/state-of-the-climate/australias-changing-climate.shtml

kickarse

A heatwave a hundred years ago has zero relevance to climate change. Australia is getting hotter.
Australia is getting gradually hotter.
https://www.bom.gov.au/state-of-the-climate/australias-changing-climate.shtml

Year yeah, its getting hotter, i don't own a aircon, after 18 years of warming ya recon i'd need one by now.

What i have needed more of is firewood, the last two years we have burned 50% more wood, because its been the two coldest winters for almost 40 years.

the Bom said Dec was the warmest "EVER" yet we hardly seen the sun up and down the east coast, was a load of bullshit.
Spring was non existing, was more like winter

January was a nice month, had a couple of 40s, had a 18 and a 19 as well, lol Feb is our hot month

we are heading for a long cool time ahead, ya better rug up.
I've ordered a extra 2 ton of wood for winter just encase its as warm as the last two

H

hard rain

Year yeah, its getting hotter, i don't own a aircon, after 18 years of warming ya recon i'd need one by now.

What i have needed more of is firewood, the last two years we have burned 50% more wood, because its been the two coldest winters for almost 40 years.

the Bom said Dec was the warmest "EVER" yet we hardly seen the sun up and down the east coast, was a load of bullshit.
Spring was non existing, was more like winter

January was a nice month, had a couple of 40s, had a 18 and a 19 as well, lol Feb is our hot month

we are heading for a long cool time ahead, ya better rug up.
I've ordered a extra 2 ton of wood for winter just encase its as warm as the last two
Let me get this right. You use recorded temperatures from 100 years ago (Marble Bar) to make your point, then say that recent official temperatures are a load of bullshit when it contradicts your view? And you link to discredited blog run by a climate denialist who didn't even graduate?
Get your head out of your arse.

kickarse

Just going by the weather we are having, maybe i imagined the lack of sunshine in DEC

about the only thing global warming has done here, is raise the price of electricity to some of the highest prices in the world, we used to have some of the cheapest.

Its not my fault the BOM adjusts its TEMP records, when i moved here the records went back to 1905, now they only go back to 1969, WHY IS THAT, why do we use a cherry picked 30 year period, and then compare current temps only to that 30 year period and not the complete temp records? Why do some countries use a different 30 years?
I'll tell ya why, its a fucking scam that's why

Please send lots of $$$$ to help save the planet, its the only way to stop the runaway weather, lol lol FFS

H

hard rain

Just going by the weather we are having, maybe i imagined the lack of sunshine in DEC

about the only thing global warming has done here, is raise the price of electricity to some of the highest prices in the world, we used to have some of the cheapest.

Its not my fault the BOM adjusts its TEMP records, when i moved here the records went back to 1905, now they only go back to 1969, WHY IS THAT, why do we use a cherry picked 30 year period, and then compare current temps only to that 30 year period and not the complete temp records? Why do some countries use a different 30 years?
I'll tell ya why, its a fucking scam that's why

Please send lots of $$$$ to help save the planet, its the only way to stop the runaway weather, lol lol FFS
Don't let truth get in the way of a good story. I suggest you start with A Short History of Australian Observational Records.
"Unfortunately for modern-day scientists, there was no common standard for observing equipment during the colonial period. Any number of instrument configurations were used, including—perhaps iconically—thermometers housed in beer crates on outback verandas.

By 1910, however, the newly formed Australian Bureau of Meteorology had established standardised equipment in many parts of the country"

https://www.bom.gov.au/climate/change/acorn-sat/

kickarse

lol that's funny, Melb temp records go back to 1855, they must all be wrong

And if you look at the monthly high most are from the early 1900s or the 1800s
there is only one modern one, if i look at the temp record for my area (100kms from Melb), they are mostly this century, its a bit to convenient don't ya think