What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

a self pollinated F1, what might pop out?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
All this time, and still the fall out from rez marketing bullshit. Light leeks don't cause Hermie's, poor genes cause Hermie's.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
All this time, and still the fall out from rez marketing bullshit. Light leeks don't cause Hermie's, poor genes cause Hermie's.

I know that Hermies are genetic trait, but isn't interruption of the dark cycle a trigger for said trait?

I love to learn more about my favorite plant, so any link or citation on this subject would be great!

Thanks gmt.

igrowone

Veteran
males that show some female parts, they're a little more of a mystery
dj short had some nice things to say about self fertile males

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
males that show some female parts, they're a little more of a mystery
dj short had some nice things to say about self fertile males

Makes me wonder if instead of it being a male that hermed- is it just a intersex plant that happened to show male flowers first.

Same with the opposite. When tested how do Hermes show up on the sex spectrum?

igrowone

Veteran
Makes me wonder if instead of it being a male that hermed- is it just a intersex plant that happened to show male flowers first.

Same with the opposite. When tested how do Hermes show up on the sex spectrum?

that is the crux of the biscuit
i don't know of any genetic tests for this case, they may well exist though
it's debatable how you classify such beasts

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Interruption of light cycles causes stress, some plants with poor genes Hermie with a little stress, some it takes so much, you prob couldn't do it. Either way, a light leek is fairly constant, and not an interruption as such. It shouldn't cause any stress.
A male or a female, regardless of what our politicians and pride members tell us, is a matter of genetic make up and not the toys in your pants or on your plants. There are tests available that will tell you what sex your seedlings are. They will not tell you if they will herm on you or not.

I can totally agree here...
My last run of pkxc99 had no issues at all and you could pretty much see the room from across town, I had lights on at night also.

The only plants that ever hermie'd for me were chemdog, random outdoors I tried indoor, or some pollen chucker wanting their beans tested...

I've been growing the same way for years and even with light leaks the solid genetics remain unseeded without nanners.

Do you have any experience with those tests, sending in pieces of cotyledon?

igrowone

Veteran
i agree that most hermies seem to fall in the 'born to herm' category
to be fair i think the others exist(many forms), more exception than the rule
some will spit a few roosters but no more
some stable clones will suddenly start to hermie
fucking plant is an enigma wrapped in green

That being said the pk in the cross was from a random seed from months of smoking the pk with no others seeds found.

Maybe it was luck to find a tasty one, but the more I think of it, it might just be a last ditch effort for the plant to reproduce itself.
Sure if it was a cluster of nans, there would have been lots of seed. But one random bean? what gives?
Just popped a bubbabx from my lp, went through about an oz and just one... lets see what happens

igrowone

Veteran
week 9 - fini

week 9 - fini

and the conclusion of my latest grow
it was a hermie, well behaved for a few weeks
then back to full on roosters, they fool me sometime they're going to give up that nasty habit
believe that pulls back the ratio to straight 50-50 clean females to pollen spewing he bitches
modest yield on this one, 1/2 zip at most
but the smell, that's looking to be oh so nice

Attachments

• flower9.jpg
    flower9.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 30

igrowone

Veteran
day 1

day 1

i again resort to this genetic repository
sigh, i need a sure female grow again, and these are feminized seeds
so day 1 dawns again
purple tint to picture, maybe an omen of things to come?

Attachments

• day01.jpg
    day01.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 29

UnityKutz

Big up man ! Im really glad you carried on over the years. Was a real interesting read. Unfortunately much of the new wave seed makers are punting their hermie genetics for £££ or $$$ for you :) so for me, this i can conclude, is not a road i wanna roll down.

I did however have a 12 oz cut of kcj that threw nanas from week 9 til it finished about a week and a half later. Was also the gassiest fueliest thing iv ever witnessed and smoked as dank as it smelt. That i would loved to of played with.

Any way
big up again man .
Showed some real dedication here.:respect:

igrowone

Veteran
^^^ thanks for the looks and your experience
genetics can be a very mixed bag, nice can come with the naughty
which brings me to my latest rodeo, this plant kind of surged in its veg
a bit bigger than i like for start of flower, too much stretch for veg
so it's into flower, and my usual hopes

Attachments

• flower0.jpg
    flower0.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 26

igrowone

Veteran
week 2.5 of 12/12

week 2.5 of 12/12

and so the point where judgement may be rendered
pure female! still a thrill
it has been defoliated quite thoroughly, really needed it for chamber
and the yield looks a little iffy, but enough complaining, it's all free seeds

Attachments

• flower3.jpg
    flower3.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 30

igrowone

Veteran
6+ weeks of 12/12

6+ weeks of 12/12

time for another addition to my list of nice ladies without balls
mature enough to be certain it's untainted
puts the ratio of girls to she/males as 8 to 7, better than 50/50
and the real interesting feature of completely ball-less or full blown early hermie
improved outlook for decent yield
the defoliation was heavy, extra foliage didn't really fill in like it usually does
but the colas don't seem to be suffering much and look decent - for a micro grow of course

Attachments

• flower6.jpg
    flower6.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 29

igrowone

Veteran
week 10 flower

week 10 flower

not quite finished, but a good point for a picture
yield not high, less than an oz, that's how it is with these s1 seeds
good yielders are rare, but this is a pretty pheno
got the most purple i've yet seen