What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how close 1k before light burn?

Hey guys,

Whats the closes you got your 1k hood to your plants before plants started getting light burn symptoms?

I have almost 3ft and am running at 750w, im looking good and want to turn my ballast all the way to 1000w. Do you think I would be safe?

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Hope this helps. You want around 10,000 foot candles of light for optimal growth.

254e884b010ad4c25b77452be4718f13.jpg

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Years of research, that is just the general guideline. Realistically you want to give the plants as much light as possible without heat and light burn. Cooling and light movers allow you to run the lights much closer to allow maximum light. i have had my 1000w on light movers as close as 10"-12" (~50,000 ft candles of light) to tops of plants without light bleaching or heat stress.

you will notice in the chart that the lower wattage lights are recommended at distances that give more than 10,000 ft candles of light, this is because the lower wattage lights produce less heat and are safer closer to the canopy.

picture.php

here is the metal halide chart also
picture.php

18-24 inches for traditional 1000w bulbs

36-48 inches for DE 1000w bulbs

Fans should be constantly blowing air between the bulb and the canopy

thanks guys, im rite at 25" so im going to go 1000k tonight. I am day 2 in week 3 of flower, here is a pic:

attachment.php

Attachments

• week3.jpg
    week3.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 17