What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old School Highpothesis

shewy99

Disclaimer - This is a thread about theory; "highpothesis" if you will. Disagree? Discuss.

Moving on,

Much has been said about the weed of old. I was born too late to experience firsthand the effects of the original "landraces", so admittedly I have no first hand experience. I often become curious when I hear about the soaring, introspective highs offered by the Columbian Gold, Oaxacan, Thai's, etc that the founders of this industry grew up on. When tested, these strains only came out around 8% THC (though the testing protocol involved in achieving this number is debated.) The highs were described as "cleaner" than today, and rated as superior to modern high percentage strains.

DJ Short, one of these founders, spoke in his breeding protocols about purposely not selecting on the highest potency, but preferring the euphoric, cleaner highs offered by the mid THC, higher terpenoid specimens. IE: Blueberry, Flo

Todays new crop of cannaisseurs place much value in pushing the active ingredients THC, CBD to the highest possible levels, often to the detriment of flavour and enjoyability.

The game of chess is game of the mind, it involves relatively low amounts of stimulation. This allows your mind to wander and explore various avenues, sparking creativity.

Video games like Call of Duty are a literal assault on the senses, keeping your attention razor focused, allowing little deviation for tangential thought whilst in the zone.

I submit that the weed of old is our Chess in this scenario. I submit that the lower THC levels were actually one of the reasons that made these strains enjoyable. It left more room in the mind for innovation and creativity without being overwhelmed. Sort of like the perfect alcohol buzz one can achieve when you haven't drank too much, nor too little. It's the zone.

The 30%+ strains (testing protocol for these high numbers is also debated. Even the FDA accepts laboratory variances of +/- 20% when testing flower) are the Video Games of this conversation. It's intense, it's overwhelming, and often as not an unenjoyable experience. (at least when your like me, and suck at video games).

Assuming my hypothesis is correct, and the lower levels of THC as well as Sativa genetics contributed to this "old school high", could it be recreated by breeding specifically for a lower THC, more balanced terpenoid profile? A la DJ Short? Much emphasis is put on driving numbers higher and higher, but could going backwards actually take us forwards?

All that rambling aside, both chess and video games have their following. Spark one and do what you love. :joint::snap out of it:

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Thing is, if you grow your own you can play the game how you want...get some seeds and start letting them reproduce sexually. Then you end up bieng a games designer, you can pick how you want to play and influence the sequel.

Plus i think its down to dominant chemotype rather than thc content, the terps.

St. Phatty

I like to skin dive etc. so it's real important to me to be able to hold my breath - for a long time.

Smoker's cough kind of gets in the way of that.

One hit Sh-t FTW !!! :woohoo:

That kind of potency was available in the 90's and it's certainly available now. Thanks partially to seedsellers like, you know who you are.

Easy7

Veteran
Ya people want the 'trip all my friends out' smoke. Suppose it's up to pheno, what fits your bill. Some of the best high's I've had where older but not as old as land-race. Honestly, weed is weed and weed is good! I've never smoked a lot of the newer stuff. But I do see newer work being crossed back to older breeds. That's always highly advisable as if not done, things become dated and that's old real quick. I think it's nice to have something knew with something old. A nice twist of eras.

geneva_sativa

Greetings shewy99 !

Some very interesting and reasonable ideas there, that make sense.

But on the other hand I definitely believe that there were (and some still around) many cannabis kinds that were actually as powerful as the legends claim.

IMO, there is much value in the oft underappreciated sense of intuition and subtle nuances, in general, but also in the realm of plant / seed selection. And we know that shamans, nagas, and wise men were some of worlds primogenitor collectors of our beloved plant. Little bit different than todays quantitive emphasis and dollar signs !
Although, there are definitely some that bring the love to the table nowadays, too.

Anyway, just some thoughts, thanks for sharing your insights !

Easy7

Veteran
Dollars is how people quantify validation these days. I get a bit sketched of breeders asking for big dollars for a pack these days.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Enjoy ability is much determined by the user.
Some folks prefer a more down to earth introspective high, some like it electric & motivating.
Some folks prefer the tasteless most potent weed they can find simply because that’s what they’re looking for & expect in a high/stone.
Most, I believe, prefer somewhere in between... functional yet relaxing.

I hadn’t thought on it much in the past but I think your video game annalogy is quite fitting.

Also, it seems a few folks, other than DJ Short, are doing nearly exactly what you propose.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
I like the video game annology too

I think it might also be something you grow into, if I look at myself in retrospective.
As a younger toker, I wanted the most bang for the buck. The higher THC concent, couchlocking a strain where the better! Like being hit with a hammer!

But as I grew older, and more mature. I got way more into growing all kinda stuff, enjoying strong long flowering hazees. That would make you buzz of energy, and make it more or less impossible to sit still for very long at a time.
Growing more and more for flavor, then yeald and effect!

Where I also as a younger guy, enjoyed "call of duty" like FPS games, that force you to be very alert, all the time. On a few very spercific things, compared to me today.
Where I still enjoy a game of Counter Strike, once in a while but on a regular I enjoy a layed back board game much more. Where you can take your time, contemplate over things before next move.

Haven't had the chance to smoke a 30% strain, I'd love to give it a try for sure. But im doubthful about how enjoyable id finde it, from what I read about laggin flavors.