What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question about 15 amp outlets

Easy7

Veteran
4 15 amp outlets on a 20 amp circuit.

Is that a limit of 12 amps for the whole circuit? Cause I am not sure if it's the prong outlets or the terminals that are limited. Obviously the prong outlets are 12 amp max. But what about the screws for hot and nuetral. Would those be 16 amp max but the outlet prongs just be 12.

Not sure if I'm explaining correctly. But the current passes thru 3 outlets to get to the forth. Question is regarding the outlets max amps limitd only for what plugs in or current that passes th terminals tomget to othr outlets. If so it's kinda dumb to have 20 amp breaker and 15 amp outlets.

Be real nice to know for sure the max amps of the outlet are only for what plugs in and max amps of what current bypasses is higher.

Easy7

Veteran
And the wire is 12 gauge. Correct line for the breaker (not installed yet).

Just looking for advice on what max current is limitd by.

St. Phatty

Regardless of what the rating is, I suggest being at home (or wherever the appliance is) for the first 24 hours after the appliance / power strip is plugged in.

OR whenever the load on it is increased by plugging in a new load (appliance.)

Mainly because most electrical products are assembled overseas by slave labor, and their cost structure does not give them much time for something that was quite wide-spread when electronics were manufactured in America: Burn In.

Basically, when a new appliance is started up, if it's going to spark, it will usually happen in the first 24 hours.

As far as ratings, wouldn't trust them too much.

EasyGoing

Each plug is individually rated for 15 amps, or a continuous load of 12 amps.

The circuit is rated for 20 amps, or 16 amps continuously.

Keep less than 12 amps per plug, but the 4 plugs can't total more than 16 amps on that circuit. If that isn't good enough for you, uninstall one plug, and install a 20 amp plug. You will still be limited by 16 amps total for the entire circuit.

Hope this helps. I am a certified electrician btw.

EasyGoing

Regardless of what the rating is, I suggest being at home (or wherever the appliance is) for the first 24 hours after the appliance / power strip is plugged in.

OR whenever the load on it is increased by plugging in a new load (appliance.)

Mainly because most electrical products are assembled overseas by slave labor, and their cost structure does not give them much time for something that was quite wide-spread when electronics were manufactured in America: Burn In.

Basically, when a new appliance is started up, if it's going to spark, it will usually happen in the first 24 hours.

As far as ratings, wouldn't trust them too much.

Holy crap this scares me....... Could you imagine if electricians had to stay on the job 24 hours after completion to check for problems? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, lol.

Rate your wires and circuits correctly, use UL listed equipment, use circuit beakers, and your good.

EasyGoing

Only difference between 15 and 20 amp outlets are the horizontal neutral on the 20A.

lol. No that isn't the only difference. That is the only visual difference. However one is rated for 15 amps, or 12 amps continuous use. The other is rated for 20 amps or 16 amps continuous.

That's like saying the difference in circuit breakers are the little numbers on the switches...... Facepalm!

EasyGoing

I noticed you asked in another thread, and got the same answer as I gave. How many threads do you need to clog up with simple questions?

Badfishy1

lol. No that isn't the only difference. That is the only visual difference. However one is rated for 15 amps, or 12 amps continuous use. The other is rated for 20 amps or 16 amps continuous.

That's like saying the difference in circuit breakers are the little numbers on the switches...... Facepalm!

Open one up ;). Explain how 20A kitchen GFI circuits don’t require 20A devices... I have hundreds of passed inspections in the past 18 years w/o 20A devices... circuit breakers protect wire... no more no less. (Inb4 certification is brought up again... I currently hold unlimited masters license which includes commercial industrial residential basa fasa and traffic signaling)