Originally Posted by growingcrazy
That really is the goal... let's make it happen.
Did you make multiple mixes or just adjusting single ingredients per pot? Do you have any data on what went into them? I will post my mix, I just don't have it here in front of me. Includes micros and all.
Please post your mix, would love to see that!
the main thing I took away from Slow's thread was to get as much calcium into young plants as possible and then raise K as they reach sexual maturity. Drop K and raise calcium again as they go into flower and then drop calcium and raise K during the latter part of flower.
I added 2 cups of gypsum/borax to each 3-4 cu ft batch of peat/perlite (70/30) base mix I made up.
Experimentation was mostly the top dressing gypsum and borax (6 grams of borax to every pound of gypsum) and a foliar application of potassium sulfate in late flower.
This was all complicated by switching from organics to salt based nutes for the first time in 30 years, and pushing the limits of those feeds under constantly changing weather conditions.
To recap the good: floppy, viny strains had much more stem/stalk strength with the additional calcium and I saw almost no hollow stems in any of the plants I harvested. Root masses were large and impressive and the plants wanted a ton of water. Flowers were, for the most part, larger and more solid and when I got the foliar potassium right, the flower size was noticeable and significant.
To recap the bad: where I applied too much gypsum and nutes, I saw all sorts of issues with nutrient lockouts and leaf burn. this was also complicated by pH issues, so where I had three identical flowering clones, often one was often just beautiful while the other two would show excesses or deficiencies.
I grew over 20 different strains this year there was no "dialing in" of the medium/feed. Some phenos handled the feed, some were burnt and crispy. In general I overfed everything but where conditions aligned, I saw some very nice results.