Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > Regular seeds worth it?

Thread Title Search
Regular seeds worth it? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2018, 03:52 AM #1
zif

zif is a jewel in the roughzif is a jewel in the roughzif is a jewel in the roughzif is a jewel in the roughzif is a jewel in the roughzif is a jewel in the roughzif is a jewel in the rough
Regular seeds worth it?

I’ve been thinking about how back when I learned to grow, regular seeds were the only option.

It took me a long time to try ‘all female’ seeds. When I did, I really enjoyed the results, but also could take them or leave them.

It just didn’t make a difference, because I’d learned to work with whatever number of female, male, and other plants came up.

But am I carrying around obsolete baggage? Is the era of regular seeds ending?

If not, I wonder what skills for dealing with males those new growers who learn with female seeds should know...
zif is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:20 AM #2
purplepassion

purplepassion is a jewel in the roughpurplepassion is a jewel in the roughpurplepassion is a jewel in the roughpurplepassion is a jewel in the roughpurplepassion is a jewel in the roughpurplepassion is a jewel in the rough
Best seeds out there are regs.

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:14 AM #3
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant futuretroutman has a brilliant future
Ending?

Never.

Some of us don't grow anything else but regular seeds.

I know I'll never grow anything else.

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:18 AM #4
Patmando22

Patmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to all
Yea regs are the way to go if you can! Make sure to start with good genetics from a well known breeder.
Patmando22 is offline Quote

Old 03-27-2018, 05:22 AM #5
Patmando22

Patmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to allPatmando22 is a name known to all
Or not sometimes you find a diamond out there from a random guy,bag,or freebie so if you got the space to have fun with pop anything
Patmando22 is offline Quote

Old 03-27-2018, 05:25 AM #6
aridbud
automeister

aridbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond repute
Yes - regular seeds.
Although many feminized seeds are stable, there's still a risk due to stressing plant to cause hermies. If you do find a hermaphrodite it's either of the following mistakes can stress a plant to the point it switches gender:

Temperatures that are too high or too low
Wild PH fluctuations
Light leaks
Over-fertilization
Exposure to plant hormones
Improper Watering
John Harrigan
Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher - RIP.
afterthought autos
We are passionate breeders of unique quality cannabis autoflower hybrid seeds at down to earth prices; now 11 years running!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:17 PM #7
zif

zif is a jewel in the roughzif is a jewel in the roughzif is a jewel in the roughzif is a jewel in the roughzif is a jewel in the roughzif is a jewel in the roughzif is a jewel in the rough
Some of the cons I have in mind:
  • extra space, supplies, time spent on males
  • opportunity cost of males for low-plant-count legal regimes
  • random number of females per pack
  • may seem harder for novices
  • increased odds of consemilia product, especially at scale
  • encourages clonal propagation - increases odds of 'potato famine' type crop losses
  • encourages clonal propagation - decreases regional variety in taste and effect
  • decreased breeding efficiency
I think these are mostly solvable. But how?

Lots of new growers right now have a four plant limit, if they wish to stay legal. Are regular seeds really better than 'all female' seeds for them?
zif is offline Quote

Old 03-27-2018, 05:23 PM #8
brookie

brookie will become famous soon enoughbrookie will become famous soon enough
4 plant limit "legal" grow hahahaha is this what it has come to ? That is like telling me how many tomato plants I can grow. If I have to grow only 4 plants to be "legal" I would much rather be "illegal".
brookie is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:28 PM #9
zif

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridbud View Post
there's still a risk due to stressing plant to cause hermies.
This is not different from regular seeds, is it?

Arguably, breeding with reversed females makes removing stress-induced intersexual traits easier.
zif is offline Quote

Old 03-27-2018, 05:28 PM #10
Jellyfish
Invertebrata intoxica

Jellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookie View Post
4 plant limit "legal" grow hahahaha is this what it has come to ? That is like telling me how many tomato plants I can grow. If I have to grow only 4 plants to be "legal" I would much rather be "illegal".
No shit! I wouldn't go legal if the cops delivered the seeds to my door. Fuck the system!!! Fuck these stupid laws!
Jellyfish is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.