Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > Plants with similar needs?

Thread Title Search
Plants with similar needs? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2017, 02:40 PM #1
f-e

f-e is on a distinguished road
Plants with similar needs?

I have taken a few core samples from the ground, which I will be sending for analysis soon. The lab doing the testing have asked a few questions I don't have to answer, but they seem of use. They would like to know the last crop and next crop. From this they can tell me what amendments I should be making. Based on RB209 recommendations.

This is all entirely new to me. For years I have just turned over the ground, adding composts known to work, and foliar feeding throughout the season. Working out the amendments myself is going to be a winters work. If they can do it, that would be great. Or perhaps if they can get me close so I just need to tailor things a little, that would save me a lot of bother.

What I'm asking, is should I say I'm doing corn perhaps? Tomato's seems a great idea, but do they even grow them in the ground? I'm in the UK but some samples are field and some my own garden, so I can get a little creative, but not bananas or coconuts. Green-house plants are within reason though.

I have about a dozen samples to send, so a few suggestions would be very useful. Maize and grasses are common in this clay area of mine.

Any ideas what I can tell them I want to grow?

If I don't get any reply's then this might become a science thread
f-e is offline Quote

Old 11-20-2017, 03:59 PM #2
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond repute
Tell em your making new beds where WEEDS have been growing previously.

Next crop is technically irrelevant, imo, as all you need at this point is a baseline to work from & a goal of Albricht (or whatever it is you study) style remineralization.
MJPassion is offline Quote

Old 11-21-2017, 05:10 PM #3
f-e

I want to know what plants have similar needs, so I don't have to work it all out myself.

I have looked at companion planting which gives an idea of compatible plants, but the companions are never destined to be a crop themselves. Generally they are beneficial to the cannabis plant, rather than being competition winners themselves. Like plants that could work in rotation. They're quite different.

I imagine I will just say maize if nobody has any ideas. I'm too busy to start a university course worth of reading for such a small project. I did start learning about it, but I'm really stupid. I know this, because I used to be a lot more intelligent. I took on a load about base saturation, but my labs don't do that anymore. I don't know which way to turn. It's only for some percy though, so I can't spend all winter not going to work so I can do this.

I often find people don't know what I'm talking about, so will say again. I want to know what grows well along side cannabis in the same ground.

Thank you
f-e is offline Quote

Old 11-21-2017, 06:15 PM #4
Agronomist

Agronomist will become famous soon enoughAgronomist will become famous soon enough
Tomatoes are similar to Cannabis.
Agronomist is offline Quote

Old 11-22-2017, 12:57 AM #5
f-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agronomist View Post
Tomatoes are similar to Cannabis.
Thanks for the prompt. As I said before, I wasn't sure. So I had a look. We do field plant them, for paste and such. I bet we can't get much closer than that.

So I have toms, and corn. I can't just have two things though, due to how I'm representing myself. I'm too far north for toms really, but I don't have to look like I know what I'm doing.

I'm feeling a lot happier now Thank you
f-e is offline Quote

Old 11-23-2017, 05:44 PM #6
f-e

Quinola is meant to be similar (some sort of grain)
Strawberries? seems unlikely, but I need to look at it.
Hops, which I should of thought of before.
Hackberries, but I'm a little far north in the UK.

Maize is looking like a poor match, but I have seen a good maize field treated with bonemeal with outstanding results. I need to look at field requirements for both, but what are the field requirements for cannabis? I have not seen it published, so could never even start to adjust to ground myself.
f-e is offline Quote

Old 11-24-2017, 04:15 PM #7
Betterhaff

Betterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by f-e View Post
...but what are the field requirements for cannabis? I have not seen it published, so could never even start to adjust to ground myself.
Search soil requirements or conditions for hemp. It’s legally cultivated in certain parts of the world. Not exactly the same as drug cannabis but it is the same species (or maybe sub-species).
Betterhaff is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2017, 06:25 AM #8
farmerlion
IC Mag Supporter

farmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud offarmerlion has much to be proud of
Hops are genetically close to cannabis. If your amending the soil now and it's working well, keep doing so. I have used a post hole digger for some outdoor plants. Then filled in the holes with certain amendments. If your not doing to many holes it works well. Take some soil Ph readings and find out if your acidic or alkaline? Test kits are very inexpensive and will let you know in just minutes what you need to do. Check the Ph of your water source as well. I haul lake water from a nearby lake as my well water is very high alkalinity. I wish you well. Peace
farmerlion is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2017, 08:01 AM #9
Stickybred420

Stickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really nice
no matter what crop you are planting, you should lay down a 3'-5' thick layer of woodchips or mulch on the bed. it will drastically increase water retention and microbial activity. it really seems to work. theres a guy on you tube and he runs an all organic veg farm and he doesn't ammend the soil at all. just uses woodchips and soil biology. i would definitely say you should ammend your soil though. then do the wood chip mulch. i think it would be bulletproof. i recommend checking out the youtube videos too. incredible info. he calls himself organic gardening.
Stickybred420 is offline Quote

Old 11-26-2017, 01:31 PM #10
f-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betterhaff View Post
Search soil requirements or conditions for hemp. It’s legally cultivated in certain parts of the world. Not exactly the same as drug cannabis but it is the same species (or maybe sub-species).
I have found hemp and flax (I must look up flax) to be grown mainly for fiber. Though some articles have spoke of oil and seed, and even drugs use. In detail enough to be able to tip the cbd cbn thc ratio's. Though it seemed they knew what they were on about, the only info I could see was repeatedly saying most drugs production was about using a well known 15-30-30 fertiliser, that I can't fathom out. It would be nice to know, but I'm still on soil amendments right now. I will keep looking, but have been doing for some time.

Thank you for the reply
f-e is offline Quote