What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scrog watering tips

Pwyll

Growing 6 plants in 7 gallon smartpots in a scrog - water only. Using fertilizers I could just water to runoff. I don't want any runoff. Normally with water only I would just check the weight of the pot but I cannot really do that under the screen. I'm using a moisture meter but am concerned about the disruption caused by the prong to both roots and soil. Any thoughts?

I run 2 4x4 scrog with 4 plants in 7 gals. I just use my finger and check the top layer of the soil. Just looking for how much moisture there is. I've always gone by the school of thought as well that when in flower you don't let your soil dry out completely.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
The finger test works well. With fabric pots, I also get a sense of dryness by thumping the pot like a melon. As it dries it sounds more like a ripe melon, when wet it's more solid. Kind of our there I know...

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
unless youre shoving that thing in and out like a dildo it wont hurt roots. it shouldn't take too long (in and out probes) to figure out what is too much or too little...

EDIT: I've never used one but couldn't you leave it stuck in one of those SP holes at ??? 4 inches down from medium?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
EDIT: I've never used one but couldn't you leave it stuck in one of those SP holes at ??? 4 inches down from medium?
... not recommended as it will corrode your probes. Corrosion is one thing (not wanted) but more important, as your probes form an oxide layer, they will read incorrectly. Might as well use the finger ---> 1st knuckle technique.