What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mycorrhizae vs mold

mocs0

Hi,

I have been inoculating my seedlings with Xtreme Gardening's Mykos and the soil keeps growing what appears to be mold. How can I tell if this is the Mycorrhizae or if it is mold?

Thank you

mdgg4

if its white fuzzy looking stuff its indeed mycellium, probably not spelled right but thats good shit you got growing in your medium. if it was a fungus or mold you would definetly smell it. what the roots look like?

PEACE!

they are one in the same. mold is a fungus. Mycorrhizae literally means fungus in the root zone. Mycorrhizae can be good, bad, or neutral to the plant. chances are if your plants are not dying then it is either a good or neutral fungi.

mocs0

Thanks for the replies.

if its white fuzzy looking stuff its indeed mycellium, probably not spelled right but thats good shit you got growing in your medium. if it was a fungus or mold you would definetly smell it. what the roots look like?

PEACE!

It's hard to tell the color at this early stage. Looks white(ish) but that could be wishful thinking. I will check on the color daily though as it progresses. Edit: [I just watched this crappy video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZVniNFTWh4 and apparently mycorrhizae are white and green]

If it's potentially mold, I'd rather not get close enough 2 smell it and 21 years of smoking tobacco have destroyed my sense of smell.

Usually, I germinate in paper towels then transfer to peat containers. Last batch had a growth in the soil and the container so I threw it out b4 remembering I had innoculated them. Didn't look at the roots.

This batch, I just popped the seedlings in expandable peat pellets a few days ago. Not even sure if they have sprouted yet, but b4 I throw them out (if it comes to that) I will have a look at the roots.

I read mycellium can't survive without roots so hopefully it's a sign that they rooted already. I also used twice the recommended dosage this time so I can't call it.

they are one in the same. mold is a fungus. Mycorrhizae literally means fungus in the root zone. Mycorrhizae can be good, bad, or neutral to the plant.

From what I read, mycorrhizae means mutually - beneficial fungus as opposed to pesky mold.

chances are if your plants are not dying then it is either a good or neutral fungi.

I hope you're right, but I've heard several stories of people harvesting mature moldy MJ and the dangers of smoking it, so I would appreciate a 3rd/4th/20th opinion if available. That's a slightly different situation tho, as humidity should be lowered during flowering. I guess time and a magnifying glass will tell tho.

Last edited:

chronosync

Well-stoned member
i would get rid of anything on the surface with a mild h2o2 solution, if its the colony intended and growing all over like that its plenty healthy to benefit your plants and belongs near the roots anyways, drive it back! lol

if it disappears with a few sprays consider it a pathogen avoided and keep it knocked down, where theres smoke theres fire, i personally wouldnt encourage that kind of stuff

happy growing and good luck!

St. Phatty

I just bought about 20 cubic feet of steer manure.

Every third bag had a big streak of gray, like it was celebrating its 45th birthday or something.

mocs0

i would get rid of anything on the surface with a mild h2o2 solution, if its the colony intended and growing all over like that its plenty healthy to benefit your plants and belongs near the roots anyways, drive it back! lol

if it disappears with a few sprays consider it a pathogen avoided and keep it knocked down, where theres smoke theres fire, i personally wouldnt encourage that kind of stuff

happy growing and good luck!

Sounds reasonable. Thanks.

I just bought about 20 cubic feet of steer manure.

Every third bag had a big streak of gray, like it was celebrating its 45th birthday or something.

Manure & fungi ... like PB&J

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As already pointed out mold and fungus are one in the same. Many scientific papers use the word mold (mould) to refer to fungi.

You have not even stated what species of mycorrhizal fungi you are inoculating with. This is the trouble with the commercial growing industry. All these miracle fixes are sold to consumers with no educational material on how the product functions.

Usually the seller does not know themselves. Disgusting.

If you are growing cannabis, then endomycorrhizal fungi is the type you should be using. The most common species is Glomus Intraradices (Rhizophagus intraradices) followed by Glomus Mossae. These infect root systems as microscopic hyphae and appearance on the soil surface is rare. This could occur after heavy infection [infection being good] and frequent use of topfeeding.

If the so-called mycorrhizal product you used is mixed with trichoderma and/or ectomycorrhizal species then these could very well form mycelia which will appear on the soil surface. Trichoderma is a good thing and not a worry, however it likely means there was no infection by endomycorrhizal fungi.

I do not personally like seeing fuzzy fungi on the soil surface and I generally turn it under, cover it with mulch or stop watering too much. I have posted photos in this forum showing the difference between good looking fungi and suspect fuzz.

If it begins climbing your plants, you'll know you have a pathogen.

It's always good to research thoroughly BEFORE acquiring a product.

mocs0

Thanks for entering the conversation, Microbeman

As already pointed out mold and fungus are one in the same. Many scientific papers use the word mold (mould) to refer to fungi.

I got it the first time. That's like me asking for the difference between apples and oranges and somebody goes, "It's all fruit, baby!" That wasn't the question and maybe I'm allergic to oranges so those answers are the opposite of helpful. I never used the word fungi in my OP because I'm not looking for any old fungi. But if it helps someone else's understanding of the issue, I guess I'll allow it.

You have not even stated what species of mycorrhizal fungi you are inoculating with.

As mentioned in OP, I am using Xtreme Gardening Mykos. According to the website,

"This single species of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi contains only Rhizophagus intraradices, formally known as Glomus intraradices. "

If you are growing cannabis, then endomycorrhizal fungi is the type you should be using. The most common species is Glomus Intraradices (Rhizophagus intraradices) followed by Glomus Mossae. These infect root systems as microscopic hyphae and appearance on the soil surface is rare. This could occur after heavy infection [infection being good] and frequent use of topfeeding.

Good 2 know. Thanks!

If the so-called mycorrhizal product you used is mixed with trichoderma and/or ectomycorrhizal species then these could very well form mycelia which will appear on the soil surface. Trichoderma is a good thing and not a worry, however it likely means there was no infection by endomycorrhizal fungi.

Interesting. More from the site:

"Mykos does not contain any other microbes such as trichoderma or ecto-mycorrhizae."

I do not personally like seeing fuzzy fungi on the soil surface and I generally turn it under, cover it with mulch or stop watering too much. I have posted photos in this forum showing the difference between good looking fungi and suspect fuzz.

If it begins climbing your plants, you'll know you have a pathogen.

I will look 4 those photos, appreciate it.

It's always good to research thoroughly BEFORE acquiring a product.

Before AND after, I agree. That's why I'm here. That's why I've been studying Cannabis and mushroom growng for 20 years in my limited spare time, and that's what got me interested in mycorrhiza many years ago. I'm far from a know - it - all, tho. Education is a life-time pursuit 4 me.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My bad, I should have looked up the species or known it. That is good that you are not using other inapplicable species mixed in. If you inoculate seeds or cuttings in peat pellets or some other media where the roots poke through you sometimes will see even tinier 'spikes' coming off the roots which I believe are an indication of infection by AM.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I never used the word fungi in my OP because I'm not looking for any old fungi.

Like it or not that is what it is. There are probably hundreds of species of fungi which are endomycorrhizal with plants. Intraradices is just one which is mycorrhizal with a broad range of plant species and is readily available on the market. Somewhere in the forum there are instructions to grow your own if interested.

mocs0

My bad, I should have looked up the species or known it. That is good that you are not using other inapplicable species mixed in. If you inoculate seeds or cuttings in peat pellets or some other media where the roots poke through you sometimes will see even tinier 'spikes' coming off the roots which I believe are an indication of infection by AM.

It's all good, brother man. What does AM stand for?

Somewhere in the forum there are instructions to grow your own if interested.

Yeah I saw a few unsatisfying youtube videos on growing your own. I will check for those threads tho, thanks.

I was wondering how they get their products in a granular form. I plan on inoculating a bunch of plants (Comfrey maybe, because the root system looks pretty big ... may be too big tho), harvesting the roots, drying them, and pulverizing them to see if the powder will inoculate other plants. If you know of a better plant to use (I'm guessing plain ol' tomato) please let me know.

There are some photos here but be aware that they are from below the surface inside a container.

http://archive.bio.ed.ac.uk/jdeacon/FungalBiology/mycorhiz.htm

Sorry if I was hasty earlier. I get riled by many of the marketers in the industry. Your product appears to be from one of the more honest ones.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

No need to apologize. I feel the same way about the LED grow light industry ... MOST industries are full of fraudsters, as far as I'm concerned. Go capitalism!

But yeah, you're taking time out of your precious day to save me a lot of time, so I can't really complain about how the info is presented. I could but it would make me a (bigger) asshole.

Again, it's appreciated.

Do you have an opinion on http://www.fungi.com/product-detail/product/mycogrow-for-vegetables-1-oz.html ? Not just for MJ, I am also looking for a lawn and garden mycorrhizal product.

And do you know if the soluble version http://www.fungi.com/product-detail/product/mycogrow-soluble-1-oz.html would be good for hydroponic systems, or is there something else you know of that would be more efficient?

They are more expensive than mykos, but I only plan on buying them once, then cultivating my own.

Again, it's appreciated.

St. Phatty

Manure & fungi ... like PB&J

Just fed it to about 6 garden spots.

Thinking about covering one of them with a clear tarp to keep temps up a little. See what difference that makes. Other than that they were all constructed the same.

They will be getting a lot of turnips and corn to play with the fungi.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
AM = arbuscular mycorrhiza(l) - (Intraradical) Arbuscules are the nutrient delivery junctions formed inside the roots (simply put) seen in one of the photos in the link. formed.

mocs0

Just fed it to about 6 garden spots.

Thinking about covering one of them with a clear tarp to keep temps up a little. See what difference that makes. Other than that they were all constructed the same.

They will be getting a lot of turnips and corn to play with the fungi.

Good luck! I'm hoping to grow some lion's mane mushrooms on some cow manure this year.

AM = arbuscular mycorrhiza(l) - (Intraradical) Arbuscules are the nutrient delivery junctions formed inside the roots (simply put) seen in one of the photos in the link. formed.

Makes sense. I'll check it out when I get some time. Thanks.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The best overall AM species to use is R Intraradices (glomus). Almost everyone gets this from the major supplier in Quebec Premier Tech. Fungi.com gets product from Mycorrhizal Applications [to the best of my knowledge] and Myco. App. has got this species from Premier.

There is NO such thing as a soluble spore. This is utterly ridiculous. If you believe this I've got some powdered seeds I can sell you. It is only the carrier clay powder which is soluble.

There is a major thread on mycorrhizal fungi on the forum. I think it has links to the DIY methods. Maybe if you search with my name you'll locate it.

Briefly; You can inoculate plants with local or purchased endomycorrhizal spores. Types of grass which die when frozen are often used. When the plant is killed above the surface the fungi is triggered to create spores. Then dig up the roots, chop them up and dry them. I store dry spores in the freezer. There is your homemade inoculant. Just put the chopped up dry mix into transplant holes, etc.

mocs0

The best overall AM species to use is R Intraradices (glomus). Almost everyone gets this from the major supplier in Quebec Premier Tech. Fungi.com gets product from Mycorrhizal Applications [to the best of my knowledge] and Myco. App. has got this species from Premier.

There is NO such thing as a soluble spore. This is utterly ridiculous. If you believe this I've got some powdered seeds I can sell you. It is only the carrier clay powder which is soluble.

There is a major thread on mycorrhizal fungi on the forum. I think it has links to the DIY methods. Maybe if you search with my name you'll locate it.

Briefly; You can inoculate plants with local or purchased endomycorrhizal spores. Types of grass which die when frozen are often used. When the plant is killed above the surface the fungi is triggered to create spores. Then dig up the roots, chop them up and dry them. I store dry spores in the freezer. There is your homemade inoculant. Just put the chopped up dry mix into transplant holes, etc.

Oh ok. I saw Paul Stamets' 6 ways mushrooms can save the world on youtube years ago, and that got me interested in mycorrhiza. He was so deep into it, I assumed he made his own superior products from scratch.

Interesting info. Extremely helpful. Thanks again.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Oh ok. I saw Paul Stamets' 6 ways mushrooms can save the world on youtube years ago, and that got me interested in mycorrhiza. He was so deep into it, I assumed he made his own superior products from scratch.

Interesting info. Extremely helpful. Thanks again.

amazing work he does, Stamets, hes probably busy developing oyster mushrooms that eat plutonium!

mocs0

amazing work he does, Stamets, hes probably busy developing oyster mushrooms that eat plutonium!

He already said in that video that mushrooms absorb/eat radiation. I forgot the term he used, but something like that.He didn't go into detail tho.

I read that hemp oil protects the skin from radiation too. Cannabis and fungi. It's illegal 2 save the earth. Sad.