What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help identify " Black Death " in Hawaii

SurfdOut

Veteran
Yeah, we are very familiar with broads. This is totally different. Thanks for the input.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Anyone have a date on the first mentioning of this issue?

Has anyone seen this off-island?

The purple is crazy!

kalopatchkid

Veteran
Broads and Russets have been present in Hawaii for over half a century according to University of Hawaii. The symptoms of "black death" are completely different.

It is 100% not a nutrient deficiency. If that were the case this would be a very common disorder throughout the world.

There are larger insects, like aphids/thrips/beetles, that are responsible for transmitting viruses and fungal pathogens in other plants in Hawaii but im not sure anyone here is capable of diagnosing the issue since UH will not look at anything cannabis related.

Things like phytoplasmas are even harder to diagnose because they require DNA testing. Fortunately, I havent had this problem since I stopped sharing clones over a year ago.

SurfdOut

Veteran
@Douglas it has been noted in the NE Usa. I currently have some friends on Maui battling it and my intern had to ditch all his cuts and start over recently as well. I haven't seen it in my garden in a few years.

@kalo hope you guys are well and didn't lose your roof the other day.

kalopatchkid

Veteran
I dont think it was intentionally spread...if so, they were pretty shitty at it lol.

The Hawaii department of ag is just notoriously bad about stopping invasives from coming to Hawaii. We have all the worst shit on the Big Island and they dont do shit about it until it spreads to the touristy islands.

@surfd Thanks man. Yeah, the weather has been pretty shit this year but we still kicking. Hope you are doing good yourself.

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
@Douglas it has been noted in the NE Usa. I currently have some friends on Maui battling it and my intern had to ditch all his cuts and start over recently as well. I haven't seen it in my garden in a few years.

@kalo hope you guys are well and didn't lose your roof the other day.

maybe send a pic to Mel or Ed on IG. , Mel I bet has an idea of whats going on

Dog Star

Veteran
It still didnt estinguished those Fukushima menace... i dont get just how people
are not sincere on theirself and doesnt check in what content it was affect soils
water and air... is there a monitor service operated by non-goverment that
check this things..!?

Here was in 1986 blowed Chernobil,only one reactor that haved just 7% of nuclear fuel
and this polution was even today in schrooms,wild boars and other animals..

while Fuku blowed 4 reactors,all of them 100% of capacity,one reactor with MOX fuel,
Kuroshio brings all up on your beautifull island and North American shores and there
is nothing happends... we dont have any report what is happening with wildlife,
does people have higher rates of cancer,does water have higher amount of radionuclides,
etc...

everything is so "clean" that it looks too much scary to me.. those silence for me
is a significant... made me to not belive that everything is benevolent from this
huge amounts of radionuclides that rain down till this day...

Simply i have hard time belive that everything is OK... mathematics and science
on radioactivity dont aloud me to be naive...

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
It is 100% not a nutrient deficiency. If that were the case this would be a very common disorder throughout the world.
99% of the time whe a plant is showing damage from insect attack, the plant will not be growing.

Yet the grow tips look vibrant, and the kind of golden green you want to see in the vegging stage. In other words, the plant's root system is healthy. Other than the bulbous indentations on the leaves (I used to think my cat was the culprit and was chewing on the plants when I wasn't looking) are characteristic of Nitrogen deficieny. The purpling is also characteristic of Nitrogen def.

In (late) flowering, that is often caused by Potassium deficiency, because potassium is in high demand and potassium helps with nitrogen absorbtion. Which means in flowering, potassium def is accompanied by what looks like nitrogen def.

However in vegging, which is what these plants are in, mostly the primary requirement is Nitrogen. This is clear N def, nothing to panic about. It's actually a sign that the plant is growing all out.

Douglas.Curtis

*facepalm* Oh sure... classic nitro def. Not.

Any private labs with the same capabilities as the AG dept? No eccentric millionaire's with the education, time and resources to chase this? Scary stuff and it needs to be chased down.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
The issue does not resolve itself by simply feeding more N.
If it's not N, the next best culprit is Molybdenum, a trace element that can be locked out at low temperatures.

From the Marijuana Garden Saver by Ed Rosenthal:

"How common it?

Mo deficiency is very rare, but is more likely to occur in color-changing strains in cold temperature conditions.

Symptoms

The middle leaves turn yellow. As the deficiency progresses towards the shoots, the new leaves become distorted or twisted. A Mo deficiency causes leaves to have a pale, fringed, and scorched look, along with retarded or strange-looking leaf growth. Older chlorotic leaves experience rolled margins, stunted growth and red tips that move inward toward the middle of the leaves.

Sometimes Mo deficiency is misdiagnosed as a N deficiency. However, N affects the bottom leaves first. Mo affects leaves in the middle of the plant first and then moves up to the newer growth.

Douglas.Curtis

So... the question begs,

Who on the tropical island of Hawaii is growing in cold temperature conditions?

issack

Veteran
Growing in Hawaii is not for the faint of heart. The phosphoric acid and the gas that emits from the volcano here. is a plague of mold that cleans to the rain it's death for plants. I have had everything as described here. Soptoria purple blight. It can be black too or brown. It comes from the rainforest conditions that we have. I live 1300 foot elevation and at any given time it could rain 3 weeks straight with 99% humidity and just complete mold written death for cannabis. I have tried everything and the best thing that works is OG biowar foliars, actinovate sp once a week foliar as well as root drench. Fusarium is a big one here too. Once again. Humidity, rain, mold, also pests here are x100. I just recently had about a month ago about two weeks straight of rain and I have a new condition with my vegging outdoors, and it's these light circle spots that appear on the leaves, and then after a while they start burning through the leaves and then eventually it'll be a burn mark, and these are only on the fan leaves. If you don't contain it fast then everything is just crap.. hardly any yield, the plants won't grow, it just takes over and also I noticed that these spots when it rains like this, are all over my yard on leaves and most plants and trees in my yard and property. my mango tree has it too.. so it's in the air, it's spore ridden it's Spore transferred.. when we have awesome months of dry weather with no rain there is no issues but as soon as we start having week long dark dredging sideways rain fog shit weather, then everything goes to hell. So the best thing I've found out, it's just too always be diligent with your foliars. with a actinovate and the OG biowar. Biowar has saves my life. It's the only thing I use in my indoor grow, and it kills russet mites and everything every single time with ease... I don't even sweat russet mites anymore or broad mites.. I also use it in my root zone and I have found that plants will be way less resistant to mold pathogens that spread and try to contain them they become way more hearty..
I've been here growing on the big island for 19 years, and I still pull off grows every single time even with the weather bad. Might not be the best sometimes. I don't know how I do it but I do.. all I know is there's nothing you can do once the weather starts getting crappy, that's it..the only thing you can pray for is that dry weather coming when everything clears up..
Also strains. Some strains that we try to grow here just don't work well and they cant handle. Some strains are very resistant, and less susceptible to the Fusarium and blight.. but yeah. Pray for sun. Cause with no sun we are fucked.. I have a saying. " I loose money and add grey hairs when it rains".
That's why I went indoors again as well as out. When we have a month straight of rain I don't worry so much because I'll still be pulling a big run indoors. But before the indoor room it was really really really stressful and hard because it's very nasty weather here sometimes..
And if you are not growing outdoors in greenhouses in Hawaii you're committing suicide.. don't let that spore infested rain touch your plants.!!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
So... the question begs,

Who on the tropical island of Hawaii is growing in cold temperature conditions?
Excellent question. HI don't seem to have had very low temps recently. Maybe

- the pots are on the ground instead of on benches?
- relatively cold ocean rain?
- It is winter/very early spring, even in Hawaii

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Growing in Hawaii is not for the faint of heart. The phosphoric acid and the gas that emits from the volcano here. is a plague of mold that cleans to the rain it's death for plants. I have had everything as described here. Soptoria purple blight. It can be black too or brown. It comes from the rainforest conditions that we have. I live 1300 foot elevation and at any given time it could rain 3 weeks straight with 99% humidity and just complete mold written death for cannabis. I have tried everything and the best thing that works is OG biowar foliars, actinovate sp once a week foliar as well as root drench. Fusarium is a big one here too. Once again. Humidity, rain, mold, also pests here are x100. I just recently had about a month ago about two weeks straight of rain and I have a new condition with my vegging outdoors, and it's these light circle spots that appear on the leaves, and then after a while they start burning through the leaves and then eventually it'll be a burn mark, and these are only on the fan leaves. If you don't contain it fast then everything is just crap.. hardly any yield, the plants won't grow, it just takes over and also I noticed that these spots when it rains like this, are all over my yard on leaves and most plants and trees in my yard and property. my mango tree has it too.. so it's in the air, it's spore ridden it's Spore transferred.. when we have awesome months of dry weather with no rain there is no issues but as soon as we start having week long dark dredging sideways rain fog shit weather, then everything goes to hell. So the best thing I've found out, it's just too always be diligent with your foliars. with a actinovate and the OG biowar. Biowar has saves my life. It's the only thing I use in my indoor grow, and it kills russet mites and everything every single time with ease... I don't even sweat russet mites anymore or broad mites.. I also use it in my root zone and I have found that plants will be way less resistant to mold pathogens that spread and try to contain them they become way more hearty..
I've been here growing on the big island for 19 years, and I still pull off grows every single time even with the weather bad. Might not be the best sometimes. I don't know how I do it but I do.. all I know is there's nothing you can do once the weather starts getting crappy, that's it..the only thing you can pray for is that dry weather coming when everything clears up..
Also strains. Some strains that we try to grow here just don't work well and they cant handle. Some strains are very resistant, and less susceptible to the Fusarium and blight.. but yeah. Pray for sun. Cause with no sun we are fucked.. I have a saying. " I loose money and add grey hairs when it rains".
That's why I went indoors again as well as out. When we have a month straight of rain I don't worry so much because I'll still be pulling a big run indoors. But before the indoor room it was really really really stressful and hard because it's very nasty weather here sometimes..
And if you are not growing outdoors in greenhouses in Hawaii you're committing suicide.. don't let that spore infested rain touch your plants.!!
Awesome description of growing in Hawaii. :) Maybe weed in (occasionally) hot and humid conditions should be pruned like in a chandelier shape like they do in Vietnamese highlands.

http://alaskanactivism.blogspot.com/2010/11/in-vietnamese-global-marijuana-march-is.html

issack

Veteran
Yeah man. It gets wet here..
It doesn't matter what you do or how you prune the plants. When we have months straight of shit weather. Then it's inevitable. Everything goes wrong. And everything mold wise grows. There is nothing you can do but hope for sun. Plants can't flourish in 95% humidity and constant rain.

ozza

Veteran
Nematodes cause balls on the roots. check if you have these. Bi Carb soda helps fight fungal diseaeses

kalopatchkid

Veteran
I saw someone with pretty obvious symptoms about a month ago and they were 100% sure it was normal. Now they are scrapping their entire garden.

Seems to be Hawaii specific but who knows, so many people are exchanging cuts these days its not hard for it to move around.