What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stress induced vs. genetic hermaphradite flowers?

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
I purposely treat females and clones of them poorly and try different things just to see whats hermie or not. I will say that I have found extreme amounts of hermies in modern Cannabis. I am sure if I babied my plant it may occur less, but I am trying to collect great mother plants that won't herm. There may be nearly as many intersex plants as true males and true females in the seeds of today.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Genetics can make the plant be inter-sex every time.
Some varieties require an environmental stress to express inter-sex. This is genetic based also.
Inter-sex plants are of many different types, from all branches with male and female flowers, to a few male flowers on female plants that only show up on the tips of the buds and often don't open or release pollen.
And everything in-between.
Plants also have a male and female flowering habit, with male being tall and thinner flowers, while females have squatter denser flowers. Males can have the female growth/flowering habit, females the growth/flowering habit.
There are up to seven types of flowering profiles, ranging from pure male to pure female with everything in between, which are used as guidelines in selecting desirable plants. The most desirable types are mostly female in appearance, especially the flowering tops, and only develop a few male flower clusters which rapidly release their pollen and fall off.
This is used to in maintaining Monoecious varieties, an elaborate system of categorizing cannabis plant types, in order to select only those with the most stable proportion of male and female flowers.
Enough for now.
-SamS
I have found some Kandy Kush (OGxTrainwreck) plants will produce a bunch of male flowers about 10-20 days into flower, and pollinate the very first pistils that occur. Then the plant seems to go back to being a full on female, usually ready about day 75-85 with fully mature seeds. The plants produce roughly 50-100 seeds per 50-100 grams of herb. For a separate breeding of a product I can release, I am using as female plants as I can find(hopefully true females never showing any male flower). For my own research and enjoyment(I do love this strain!even the hermie's smoke wonderfully) I have started making an IBL out of these early hermie females. I am going to make a few parallel lines to start, its a very easy project because these type of plants self each time you grow them, so just keep growing them and keeping the seeds when they happen. This line is my desert island strain, but it would be perfect as you would never need males, yet still get seeds to continue next crop. Definitely not a release for the public,but very interesting to me.

Last edited:

JointOperation

if its really a survival mech .. and its just trying to save itself . and if it didnt happen with males in the rooms.. that would be awesome.. if thats true and works.. someone needs to find out.. WHY.. and then recreate that synthetically so we dont need to keep males in our flower rooms .. i heard females will pack on more trichomes when a male is introduced.. im not sure if its true or not because i havent been able to get lab tests or anything along those lines of research .. to prove it.. but if its true. someone needs to get on that.. could make money on a product or a piece of equipment u hang in your room to mimic the male being in the room?

has this been proven that males in a flower room makes for more trichomes?

anyone with some research or info on it?

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
if its really a survival mech .. and its just trying to save itself . and if it didnt happen with males in the rooms.. that would be awesome.. if thats true and works.. someone needs to find out.. WHY.. and then recreate that synthetically so we dont need to keep males in our flower rooms .. i heard females will pack on more trichomes when a male is introduced.. im not sure if its true or not because i havent been able to get lab tests or anything along those lines of research .. to prove it.. but if its true. someone needs to get on that.. could make money on a product or a piece of equipment u hang in your room to mimic the male being in the room?

has this been proven that males in a flower room makes for more trichomes?

anyone with some research or info on it?

Sounds like you're up to it, post your results! :yes:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sam,
I'm wondering if you might atempt an explination if the 5 different types of hermaphrodites? Or provide a link?
This information could be very useful to us hobby growers/pollen chuckers/breeders. ;)

Who dat is,
I think your hypothesis is, more or less, spot on and others have come to similar conclutions. Still need to hear about these other types though.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Sam,
I'm wondering if you might atempt an explination if the 5 different types of hermaphrodites? Or provide a link?
This information could be very useful to us hobby growers/pollen chuckers/breeders.
Here's a good one: CLICK ME, just below Table 4.1 but I'm pretty sure you'll find other stuff in there interesting as well :) . Noteworthy, it's mainly about fibre hemp and a some part of the informations are getting a bit outdated... read with care!
http://www.rexresearch.com/hhusb/hh4bot.htm

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Even though this thread hasn't been a hot one it has still been a nice steady one with people contributing information over time which is good to see. Thank you for posting the link Only Ornamental, I will read it later when I have time. To touch up on the same plants that I initially mentioned in this thread they just recently came down. They continued to exhibit nanners after awhile with the sporadic regular male flower as well. I believe that they have a genetic disposition towards the intersex traits and also are finicky in regards to throwing nanners. I might have had them too close to the bulb as well which resulted in one throwing foxtails towards the end of flower. The cuts I made are starting to show the male flowers again like the first round did right about the same time. There was never any interruption in the light cycle this go round so I know that it has to be genetic after all. This was also confirmed by the breeder and another person who grew out the same beans as well. This is a topic that continues to interest me and anybody who has something to contribute to furthering this thread is certainly welcome to drop some knowledge in here.

DenverJim

I read an article on hemp by Robert Henilin ( name may not be right). Hemp breeders maintain that growing hemp with 8 hrs of light results with all male plants. How does this fit in with a pure female.