What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ceramic HPS

Easy7

Veteran
Not much word yet. If you look around there's a thread or two. No grows or reports yet that I've seen. They cost roughly the same as a growers choice 630 cmh. They do accept hortilux blue mh. I've not even seen replacement cmhps lamps to know what operation costs are. More questions than answers at this point.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
looks interesting, but claims are easy, need to see results first. i guess they are not compatible with digital ballasts?

P-NUT

Veteran
I was looking into these last year but they hadnt released them yet. The website recommends the hortilux gold ballast and i happen to have 1 laying around not on use. It also says enclosed fixture so youll need an aircooled hood with glass and I've got some unused blockbusters sitting around. I need a tent and I will test them out. Ive got the ac/de hoods too and have been planning on trying the 630 cmh from ceramic solutions.

P-NUT

Veteran
So Im a bit confused. While researching the ceramic hps bulb it says on hortilux website the bulb is enclosed rated yet they recommend their new 600se fixture for it that has no glass. They also recommend that fixture for the 600 blue mh. Im pretty sure all mh are supposed to be enclosed because they can explode and cause fire. If you go to the page with the fixture and click the individual bulbs it says open rated for the ceramic hps and mh so what is it hortilux?

Maple_Flail

I'm intrigued by them, Like Easy7 said, a thread or two exist.

Seems like very few have actually used. I've seen the odd comment in search about someone switching over to them, however they didn't follow it up with anything tangible.

as far as open or closed rated, with that much activity in the red spectrum I'd definitely want that air cooled.

little concerned about its slightly lower hour rating before replacement numbers.

RockinRobot

They are claiming better oil production as opposed to greater yield.

Guess I'll have to try a side by side for myself. One bulb is cheaper than a new fixture.

Easy7

Veteran
Still no idea what replacement ceramic hps lamps cost. The lamp themselves is not on the market alone yet.

Also they say the special fixture/reflector ballast package operates the metal halide blue. But it's an open fixture and the blue is supposed to be enclosed.

Not a bad price either. Under $400 at gh. Some places even where giving mh blue lamps with the package. I'd say at this point the replacement lamp cost goes into consideration, and that is currently unknown.

The spectrum looks great. Lot's of red! One thing I do not understand is why the life of the lamp is like a hps when it has ceramic. I thought ceramic lasts longer. They say 9 to 10 months of burn time.

Easy7

Veteran
Also curious what a good timer for these would be. They say it has soft start and nothing more about that. Usually that means 50% power at start up, for soft start.

I like the timers that have a battery and safe functions when the power goes out. A good dual timer at that.

watts

ohms
Veteran
I don't like hortilux as a company anymore. Several years ago they used to hate on weed growers using their product, now they are late to the game and releasing products specifically for weed growers. Sure the ceramic HPS is different, somewhat, but not game changing. I watched a video by a hortilux salesman claiming more oil production but not an increase in yields.

heatherlonglee

The Hortilux 600W MH Blue is a open rated bulb. 600W is the only open rated bulb in their MH Blue category. I'm at the point now where I don't want more bud if it's not better quality.