What's new

Cob vs Quantum Boards LED Systems - Depth/Penetration

Quitters

Whats the differences in approximate inches when it comes to penetration and depth reach below the canopy ?

Quitters

No reply so far so im gonna assume theres about 18 inches to 2 foot difference in depth and penetration ..

Quitters

QB LeD is newst and best output atm on market

are you making this statement referring to the Samsung lm301h diodes being the most efficient ?

Still doesn't seem to have the same canopy penetration for growing the taller style gals though

Last edited:

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
are you making this statement referring to the Samsung lm301h diodes being the most efficient ?

Still doesn't seem to have the same canopy penetration for growing the taller style gals

yeah that right LM301H is best diodes atm with best energy managment of LeD and perfomence :tiphat:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I think with the qb u got a more even light distribution. Yes u can grow bigger trees with cob but only on a small footprint, out of the beam no growth. I have only experience with the qb so far but i like their performance. Yes u have to change grow style to get max results, imo more scrog or sog style to have all budsites in optimum distance to light than get as big as u can.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
agreed. efficiency etc aside for a moment, in an ideal world i would have the light sources spread as widely and evenly over the canopy as possible. COB may be better in some ways, but you'll always have a much sweeter spot in the middle. wider spacing of light sources means less shading, so better penetration of light into the canopy, which means less stretch etc etc.

VG

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Don't have really looked into cob but could they run without the lens or with a wider beam? To creat kind of giant qb with them. Something like 9 or 16 dimmed down over a 4x4

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
1 cob per sq ft builds have reached 2GPW with only 529 PPFD average over SCROG canopy, captainmorgan over at RIU forum has alot of information about it. He has mentioned increasing the intensity to around 700 PPFD when he grew taller plants with less canopy control though with slight yield decrease.

budsicles

I have 480w of cxb3590 cobs over a 4x4...and 480w of lm561c sunboards (mounted on cookie sheets) over another 4x4. Both powered by the same meanwell drivers. The boards have a little better distribution, and the cobs have a little better penetration. I get very similar results from both tents. I run the cobs about 6 inches higher than the sunboards.

ExoticsRus

It’s funny but I own Osram chip led , Qb vero29 Cob and with a meter and even looking at overall plants intake . Cob def wins for your buck

It’s all about proper mapping and proper chip since when I say “cob” that is like saying car or such a general wording . what I like about q.v. is the lightness of the light and lack of heat sink requimenfs and so forth , but when I try to do a 4x8 , good luck on using 2 of those hlg 550 or 600 to fit you enough par , really need 3 of em.

on vero 29 , just get your coverage and even if you have “900 wattish per 5x5” (at least for me) you never use it at 100% but a few weeks in bloom and rest is 10-60% dimmed

Coverage and depth (everyone has spiff views I guess )

indagroove

Veteran
A QB type board with high powered 5050 type diodes (as opposed to the more common 3030 type, lm301 diodes), offers the best of both worlds. The HLG QB96 elite v2 is an example of this.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have a idea about the temperature of the lights shaping the grow. One I have proven to myself and made good use of. I expect cobs put out more 730nm and beyond. Simply put, I expect they run hotter as a cob is a very compact qb.

I put more weight behind this idea than one regarding leaf saturation leading to more photons passing through. An idea I have never heard aired in the HID vs LED debates.

I have, as seen in my pics, made an LED grow look like an HID grow by putting the far red and beyond back again. So I'm dead set on the idea (I won't say fact) that it's not the light shaping them, it's heat.

I'm not sure it's more penetration I have ever seen. I'm going to say it's not. It's fewer but longer heads. The plant develops dominant heads at the expense of other buds when more IR is added. In terms of bud right to the bottom, the QB is my favourite as that dominance is expressed the least and lower stuff develops better. With QB barely anything goes in the bin but with HID I chuck out quite a bit. A story my QB mimiced when the IR was added.

I started a thread but understand it's quite a step forward so wasn't easy to engage with. Though it ties in with everything and contradicts nothing.

Peer review is still sought..