What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Mystery CANNABIS VIROID/VIRUS Identified (PCIA)

Vandenberg

Putative Cannabis Infectious Agent (PCIA)
VIROID:
An infectious entity affecting plants, smaller than a virus and consisting only of nucleic acid without a protein coat.

Dark Heart has found infected plants in every grow it's tested in the United States.
For years, dudding disease was written off by growers as just a part of growing.
Then,a new pathogen, HpLVdwas confirmed to have jumped from hops to cannabis in the Pacific Northwest, and growers realized new SOPs were required to combat its spread.
For many years, cannabis cultivators were puzzled by a mysterious disease that appeared from nowhere.
Infected plants showed similar symptoms: abnormal branching, brittle limbs, reduced vigor, decreased flower and trichome production, and reduced potency. Sometimes a single sick plant would lag behind the rest, while other times the pathogen would spread rapidly and ravage entire crops.
Prized heirlooms, mother plants, and clone-only cuts would all slowly diminish in health and performance, despite receiving the exact same inputs in previous cycles.

Exasperated growers everywhere compared notes to no avail.
Soon, the mystery pathogen had spread far and wide enough that it became known as dudding or dudding disease. Infected plants were simply called duds because they weren't as healthy or productive as the rest of the plants.
Putative Cannabis Infectious Agent (PCIA) is another name that was used to describe this pathogen.

In 2018, Dark Heart Nursery officially confirmed that the hop latent viroid (HpLVd) is the cause of dudding.
This made it possible to rapidly test for the presence of hop latent viroid and jumpstart long overdue research into HpLVd as a cannabis pathogen.
It's believed that HpLVd jumped from hops to cannabis in the Pacific Northwest, a popular region for both hops and cannabis cultivation. This is possible in part because hops and cannabis belong to the same family, Cannabaceae.
There are similar types of viruses/viroids that infect specific crops such as cucumbers, lettuce, beets, and tobacco.

The hop latent viroid is tiny.
Smaller than a virus, it is impossible to detect without a diagnostic test.
What's especially challenging with HpLVd is its latent, asymptomatic nature.
A latent organism means it is capable of lying dormant or hidden until circumstances are suitable for development or manifestation; asymptomatic means “without symptoms,” so a very healthy-looking crop could be infected.

HpLVd can move at different speeds.
In perpetual gardens with infected mom populations, infected plants can slowly go from asymptomatic to symptomatic over several crop cycles.
Uninformed growers may initially write a small decrease in yield as a one-off, not a big deal, just part of growing.
Eventually they realize something's wrong as the garden slowly (or quickly) gets worse with each crop.
It sometimes takes years for cultivators to realize that a strain just doesn't yield like it used to.
It's now thought that genetic drift may actually be a viral or viroid load on the plant.
Dark Heart's research into the latent nature of HpLVd is ongoing as it is unclear when or why HpLVd comes out of dormancy and becomes active, or vice versa.
The hop latent viroid is tiny.
Smaller than a virus, it is impossible to detect without a diagnostic test.
What's especially challenging with HpLVd is its latent, asymptomatic nature.

A latent organism means it is capable of lying dormant or hidden until circumstances are suitable for development or manifestation; asymptomatic means “without symptoms,” so a very healthy-looking crop could be infected.

Dark Heart's research into the latent nature of HpLVd is ongoing as it is unclear when or why HpLVd comes out of dormancy and becomes active, or vice versa. One thing that is clear is that some strains and genetic lines seem more vulnerable than others.

One area of research focus is on HpLVd vectors and transmission methods. The most common way plants get infected is by mechanical transmission — the use of tools between plants. When an infected plant is cut, that tool is contaminated and transmits HpLVd to other plants.

Cloning, trimming, deleafing, and pruning are all ways HpLVd can spread.
Once a cutting tool is used on an infected plant, the tool is contaminated and should be sterilized with virkon or bleach.
Failure to follow SOPs can result in widespread infection in a short time, especially in larger commercial operations that propagate in-house or frequently prune and cut plants.

Another way HpLVd can spread is by seed.
An infected mother can pass HpLVd to offspring through seed.
Root aphids are also believed to be a vector as they spread disease by piercing roots to feed.

The only way to detect HpLVd is an RT-PCR assay test performed by a plant diagnostic lab.
Tests are inexpensive and provide fast results. Due to the latent nature of HpLVd, it is recommended to use a lab that will test plants at least three times to be considered negative.

HpLVd cannot be removed from infected plants.
If a plant tests positive for HpLVd, there are two options a grower can take.

They can destroy infected plants and neighboring plants that have had contact, and closely monitor the rest of the garden in conjunction with diagnostic testing.

The second option is tissue culture, which is ideal when the infected plant is a unique strain that needs to be saved.
Cells are taken from the plant and put through the tissue culture process.
It takes several months for the cells to grow into rooted plants.
After three negative results, the strain is cured.

It is important to note that meristem tissue culture alone is not always sufficient to cure plants of HpLVd and that pre-treatment and multiple rounds of testing are needed to confirm a plant has been cured.

As more research unfolds and new discoveries are made about HpLVd and other cannabis pathogens, the importance of proper SOP and sanitation measures remain crucial.
Growers should ensure that their plant stock comes from professional nurseries that utilize tissue culture as part of a clean plant program and regularly test their populations for HpLVd.
******* "" ****** """

Apparently "tissue culture" technology gets to be the white knight solution to this reportedly widespread problem. :) Thank You Dark Heart on your cutting edge break-through research. :) The Cannabis Community collectively owes you a debt of gratitude,
if your located in California, they're at the top of heap for clone sourcing. Disease free genetics, I' d betcha. :)
Tissue Culture is coming of age and may become actually necessary to clean up various heirloom/landrace genetics for future generations genetic archival reasons.

Vandenberg :)

Last edited:

prune

Veteran
If you check back through some threads from before you registered you'll see this is all kinda old news...
Hard to identify and unfeasible to treat. Just grin and bear it till SCIENCE fixes it.

Vandenberg

What threw me for a loop here...

What threw me for a loop here...

...Was when searching post titles there are absolutely no results returned for "PCIA" or the word "Putative" and "Putative Cannabis Infectious Agent" which also returned nada results. Now there is. :)
That information must be buried within the thousands of posts with the word "Virus" in its title.
For a well known problem, I have not heard about it, nor any personal medical growers of my acquaintance have either.
I get it, most people's idea of genetic preservation involves a handful of seeds tossed in a drawer.
It does go deeper than that, future medicine development may depend on currently obscure genetic material.
Science has stepped up to the plate with its ongoing Tissue Culture development technology that is still in its infancy and currently the only known solution to the problem.
When they develop a just add water cure, I will certainly update this post.

P.S. I have been posting here since 2004 under another entity and apparently I have fallen behind on my reading due to a medically induced vacation.

Last edited:

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The other ironic thing is darkheart who apparently “solved” this issue has given out more virally infected clones than any clone bank ive heard of. I personally have run at least 6 strains from them that all dudded. Pretty crappy. Since ridding myself of their stuff i havent seen a dud since. I even called to complain to their management.

Vandenberg

That's interesting and disappointing to here that they wasted your time and money with infected clone stock.
Aparrently, the "solution" hasn't solved the problem.
Re-infection appears to be an important ongoing issue, no ongoing immunity here.
I was getting a bit hopeful that it was a problem solved, but it appears that its apparent highly infective nature transfers easily among hosts.

ExoticsRus

Kinda funny the people stating all these things want to do such crazy testing or teach LP’s how to do get rid of it for 100+ of dollars per hour. who says these labs aren’t just payed off or that “virus “ may be present , but really doesn’t really make the ending factor and they are making a “scare” factor to just bully cash out of people. Hell look at so many brands and industry and people, example vooodoo doctors ( show me any proof that has ever worked or when a preset comes and makes sure the bad vibes are out?) money ,money

I see so many big croppers and LP finger touching and smelling their buds and deleafing . Are they treating their each plant like a doctor to patient and sterilizing their hands per patient(plant ) with iso/germ killer and anything their using to touch the plants ? look at how dark horse says? They claim you should ? what I see is 99% of most people touch their plants and then go to the next and then sterilize . Example of a group most people herd of online is mendo dope and they def touch their stems and their plants loook fire and healthy .

Main tip they say is , only the strong survive and kill the weak next seasons And don’t keep weak pheno’s no matter how good they taste . Makes sense to me eh

https://youtu.be/hMzuOAUB6vE

Latest posts

Latest posts