What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nilsson's garden: Hawaiian snow Hawaiiana Thai chi destroyer + broadleaf black congo

Red October

1st documented grow, I'm intending to update and maintain these grows. Life happens but I have learnt enough from the community that I feel others can learn from me and my mistakes which there will be many off and I'll be doing some not so well documented strains over the next 2 years.

I haven't grown for the last 6 years and now with our more relaxed laws I've been allowed by the missus to start growing for myself again, trying a new style of growing to me as I'm going after sexy long legged sativas on the cheap, so figured I'd follow what was recommended and I'll go with a bare bulb vertical setup in a 4x4 foot area with a 600 watt hps bulb and will compensate some additional light via florescent tubes on the outer perimeter during flowering.

Not planning on topping the plants as I'm doing too many at once for the space but I'm hoping I can keep it under control by flowering early.

Had a bad start with the seeds and killed a couple because it was cold and I over nurtured them. Here's the numbers for the survivors.

GHS: Hawaiian snow 5 X fem
1 survived

Anesia seeds: Hawaiiana 3 X fem
2 X survived

Ace seeds: Thai chi 5 X fem, lucky packet with 6 beans inside
5 X survived

Cannabiogen: Destroyer 10 x reg
10 X survived

Broad leaf black Congo 5 X reg
5 X survived these I got these from a local supplier, spoke to him directly about their origins and I'm a bit skeptical but we will see, I only planted these because the Hawaiian snow beans passed away;)

Just starting out so will keep things upto date and will hopefully find some good keeper plants.

Last edited:

Red October

Pics

Attachments

• IMG_20200917_092221.jpg
    IMG_20200917_092221.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20200917_091005.jpg
    IMG_20200917_091005.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 32

Wild Seed

Promising strain selection. Subscribed.
Watching the Black Congo and any Anesia with interest.
Here's hoping for smooth sailing from here

Red October

Thanks wild seed, the Hawaiiana is meant to be a Hawaiian sativa X mango haze, so it has promise in it's genes.

The broadleaf Congo the story the guy told me was that they did a trip to kinshasa a few years ago and collected a whole bunch of seeds around the Kinshasa area. They then grew out all the seeds at once from all the areas and two plants stood out with these broadleaves, a male and a female and apparently the resulting offspring from the two are quite homogeneous, crystals are meant to be very fine but numerous. Not sure why they would have chosen this route for their breeding program as it doesn't make sense and alot of the genetics have already been polluted especially around the larger cities in Africa, so this is why I'm quite skeptical but they didn't cost much and I'm happy to support local industry. Apparently it's really strong so let's hope I get lucky even if it's a polluted IBL of some sort.

Red October

Things are going slowly, the weather has not been playing along and we keep getting cold fronts coming through, will need to keep the seedlings in the trays under dim light for the next two weeks to keep growth to a minimum. The plants that are currently busy finishing off where supposed to be brought outside to finish but it's been too wet and cold and the seedlings where supposed to go into the tent.

The last Hawaiian snow got wilts so I'll have to try that one again at some point and I started the three anesia purple Thai seeds as a replacement, figured I can get them to catch up mostly because I have to keep the others aside for a while longer, probably won't go as planned either figure rather too many than too few. I'm hoping they might be an S1 of snowhighs seeds or maybe an f2 reproduction, not much info on them anywhere.

Last edited:

Red October

Two of the destroyer seedlings have separated leaves on the first set of pre leaves, not something I'm familiar with, hopefully it's a sign of good thing to come:biglaugh:

Attachments

• IMG_20200926_090240.jpg
    IMG_20200926_090240.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200926_083357.jpg
    IMG_20200926_083357.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 35

Wild Seed

Unsurprising but unfortunate that the Greenhouse HS struggled from the start.

Good to know the Anesia seeds are making up the difference. Very little info on the breeder, despite lots of good looking strains. Would like more background information on their "landraces" too. Real Purple Thai is rare and ancient, better known in the US scene, but I'm guessing Anesia collected and worked some of those saved in Spain.

Red October

Yeah the seeds from GHS were the typical small grey ones but I do blame myself for messing around with them too much and the cold temps, these I will try again as they get good reports and apparently it wasn't bred by them which would actually be a bonus:biglaugh:

The anesia stuff we will see, hopefully I get at least two of the purple Thai going. It's not a large enough selection to really see if there is something good there but didn't want to invest much into checking them out especially with the lack of reviews and reports, they could be complete garbage and considering they are going up against Thai chi and destroyer on the same run they don't really have anywhere to hide if their quality doesn't hold up.:friends:

Red October

Slightly better photos of the two with the wierd first set of leaves

Attachments

• IMG_20200928_132514.jpg
    IMG_20200928_132514.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20200928_132441.jpg
    IMG_20200928_132441.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 44
G

That's cool! Definitely my first time seeing 3-fingered leaves at the first node. I had a seedling go from 1-finger to 5-finger on the 2nd node recently. Thanks for sharing.

Peace
DM

Red October

That's cool! Definitely my first time seeing 3-fingered leaves at the first node. I had a seedling go from 1-finger to 5-finger on the 2nd node recently. Thanks for sharing.

Peace
DM
it's my pleasure man, I've always wanted to run destroyer so I'm quite excited about this grow but like you said I've never come across this on the first set of leaves before. I've read destroyer can throw some wild phenos, so I'll be watching them very closely:dance013:

Last edited:

Red October

All three purple Thai have popped above ground but the weather outlook is bleak and we might get some light snow with this cold front, I wish summer could just start already this is quite uncommon for cape town.

Red October

Nothing too exciting going on but I may have saved the Hawaiian snow, cut it off just above the infection replanted it and now I'm starting to actually see some new growth in the leaves, not going to disturb the soil to look for roots but here's holding thumbs. It'll technically be my first clone:shucks: but I seriously need to get cracking on my aero cloner and clone cupboard.

Red October

Plants are looking much happier already a few days later, might have to restrict some water and light to the Thai chi as they are quite vigorous and don’t want to deal with height issues if I can help avoid them, these are on the left, the three purple Thai are catching up a bit already, fat first leaves, so let’s see how sativa they will turn out but so far they are uniform, so I’m suspecting an F1 hybrid which is not what I want with what’s supposed to be an IBL of sorts, these are the 3 in the white pots on the right, the 2 Hawaiiana seeds are completely different one more indica and one more sativa top right in the brown pots, looking forward to what comes out of all of them though.

Another destroyer has caught my eye, very red stem extending into the leaf veins with some magenta on the fringes of the leaves others have the normal half red and green stems, still early days but marked it off to be closely observed. I am hoping for some nice keeper males out of these so I’m trying hard to tell the differences as early as I can, I’ve never grown something like this before so I’ve been trying to read up as much as I can, apparently kaiki may have used a black Columbian strain but he has not confirmed this, so maybe a purple meao Thai??:bigeye: I can only wish.
They just got transplanted into bigger pots as they were starting to get over watered by me and I was worried about loosing any, think they have been held back enough at this point as the others are all doing well including the very tiny Hawaiian snow, it’s growing and that’s all that counts right now?

Attachments

• IMG_20201012_140830.jpg
    IMG_20201012_140830.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20201012_111732.jpg
    IMG_20201012_111732.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 39

Red October

Thanks man, Ive come to realise I'm a bit of a mook and I have over looked the side passage way to our house that I've been using to try and block the light so my other few remaining plants can finish off.

I'm going to build a mostly light proof outhouse across this section here and then I can rather grow outdoors in pots and do a force flowering using the dark room in the alley way, I work from home so I don't mind putting them in and out of the sun each day. And I still have a indoor tent setup for days when it's too windy until I get my greenhouse setup, which I have to cause the wind can really suck here 60-70 km/h gusts when it's bad and I'd like to put some plants straight into the ground

Attachments

• IMG_20201014_171734.jpg
    IMG_20201014_171734.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Red October

In celebration for my new found free space I want to pop a few more seeds, I'm thinking three extra pineapple poison seeds I got as freebies, I can't find any grow logs for it so maybe it'll help someone and maybe it's really good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts