What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing Herb in Maine.

MurdaMishou

Hey poop. I was under the assumption that it was six plants per household. But actually it is 6 plants per resident of said household. So this years outdoor I will be growing my six rec plants, my womans six, my mums 6 and her husbands six all out on our property in the country. Plus medical plants. It's going to be a great year here in the 207. Just make sure your plants are out of site from roads and whatnot and have them tagged with the plant owners name and drivers license number.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Hey poop. I was under the assumption that it was six plants per household. But actually it is 6 plants per resident of said household. So this years outdoor I will be growing my six rec plants, my womans six, my mums 6 and her husbands six all out on our property in the country. Plus medical plants. It's going to be a great year here in the 207. Just make sure your plants are out of site from roads and whatnot and have them tagged with the plant owners name and drivers license number.

So it's like the old Cali system where plants have to be tagged with their paperwork and the flying pigs see the paperwork from the sky and maybe come by to check it out?

Do you live in southern or coastal Maine?

My understanding was that as long as you didn't do anything dumb (i.e. 50 or 100 plants out in a field) that nobody really gave a shit or came to check shit out.

There was a guy here on IC a while ago from Maine who had a crazy ex rat him out and all that happened was they had to chop all the plants that were beyond his legal limit.

MurdaMishou

He Duskray. I live in the central maine area around Bangor Brewer area. Plants need to be tagged with the owners name and drivers license number. The bill is pretty loose in the descriptions of where to grow. It says they need to be out of view of roads and from overhead. Kind of vague. Either way im popping up a couple poly tunnels and making this summer my bitch. And also that doesn't sound like a far stretch for law enforcement to just chop which ones are over limit. Oh excuse me officer do you mind chopping that shitty afghani and leaving that Chemdog plz. Hahaha

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
He Duskray. I live in the central maine area around Bangor Brewer area. Plants need to be tagged with the owners name and drivers license number. The bill is pretty loose in the descriptions of where to grow. It says they need to be out of view of roads and from overhead. Kind of vague. Either way im popping up a couple poly tunnels and making this summer my bitch. And also that doesn't sound like a far stretch for law enforcement to just chop which ones are over limit. Oh excuse me officer do you mind chopping that shitty afghani and leaving that Chemdog plz. Hahaha

Thanks for the response!

So greenhouses are a requirement?

If that's the case, how can they tell if a plant is tagged with paperwork or not?

Sounds to me like nobody cares all that much lol.

MurdaMishou

Definitely seems like no one gives much of a fuck. Too much Heroin, Cocaine, and prescription drugs on the street for cops yo be randomly checking plant counts. I would assume the only time you would be showing the authority's your plants is if someone called you in. Greenhouses are not a requirement, but with the weather and season up here its better to have one then not. Also can run em a little later into the year. Ran a few blue dreams the season before last until Nov. 12. Which is quite good up here.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Definitely seems like no one gives much of a fuck. Too much Heroin, Cocaine, and prescription drugs on the street for cops yo be randomly checking plant counts. I would assume the only time you would be showing the authority's your plants is if someone called you in. Greenhouses are not a requirement, but with the weather and season up here its better to have one then not. Also can run em a little later into the year. Ran a few blue dreams the season before last until Nov. 12. Which is quite good up here.

Oh, wow!

I try to be out of the woods by a month before then at the latest.

My understanding has been that north of Bangor, every day you get after September 30th is bonus time (without a greenhouse that is).

Oh, wow!

I try to be out of the woods by a month before then at the latest.

My understanding has been that north of Bangor, every day you get after September 30th is bonus time (without a greenhouse that is).

That date is the same for Norcal. The first rains usually happen in the first week of OCT, but not always.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
That is a very unusual date to be able to run until in ME. I would never count on it. The year before it was dumping snow by about that time.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
That date is the same for Norcal. The first rains usually happen in the first week of OCT, but not always.

Out east we can take a little rain :tiphat:

It's not until there are several days of heavy rain coming or the first real frost that we have to chop.

That is a very unusual date to be able to run until in ME. I would never count on it. The year before it was dumping snow by about that time.

Greenhouses can do magic with a little luck. If the plants are big, hardy tried and true strains and are planted in the ground so the roots stay warm and lay down some heavy mulch in the Fall and the temperatures don't drop too low... who knows? Little luck from climate change maybe? :biggrin:

That being said, without a greenhouse I'm gonna try to harvest the first week of October. With a greenhouse, I'll give it another week, maybe two if need be.

MurdaMishou

It's going to be great year guys! Planning on Running GG4, MOB, Purple Trainwreck, Blue Snow, Blue Dream, Chem 91, Jew Gold and Headband. We shall see

Botrytis even attacks Norcal greenhouses with up to 30% losses. I cannot imagine it being any better in ME. Only worse. No way you;re running into Nov..!

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Botrytis even attacks Norcal greenhouses with up to 30% losses. I cannot imagine it being any better in ME. Only worse. No way you;re running into Nov..!

The problem with Norcal growers though is that they often don't grow strains that are resistant to botrytis, They're also really just not used to battling it like growers out east are.

Probably more applies to Southern CA growers.. "Cause when one goes out in the AM with scissors and a plastic bag, tossing chunks in. Oh it sucks no matter where you are.

I agree, the NorCal growers often keep putting out under the sun (even with no rain all summer) strains that maybe have some Purple in em, or more indica than would be recommended.

That;s probably why strains like Blue Dream are and were grown so often. Not because smokers like it, but because it has good mold resistance, and yields lots of good product.

I am prob moving out there Down East this summer. I will grow some 50 50 hybrids Sativa / Indica. To help stave off the Dreaded Bud Rot.

Gotcha, Agreed in full. Cheers.

Then You are doing better work than all the growers in Mendocino I knew - basically the whole community. Who have rainless summers. Well Done.

highsteppa

Veteran
I have grown well into Nov in Maine.

Ive found that the varieties that come in later do better outdoors with botrytis. the cool weather really slows down the mold. The ones that are fat when the first rains come in mold quick because its still relatively warm and they're they're full. the oct 15-25+ type strains are less developed for the early rains and fatten up when its cooler and the mold isn't so fast to colonize. Then your dealing with diminishing/weaker light and slower flower production.

The issue with greenhouses is that if your not using forced hot air to dehumidify you're dealing with nightime humidity around 85%. No amount of air circulation will meditate that.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
I may have just found a great place for an outdoor run, but I'd be getting a late start.

I have a handful of guerrilla grows under my belt, and have gotten everything from half a pound to 2lbs off of guerrilla plants that came from seeds germinated in late May/very early June here at 39-40N.

Would around June 6th-8th be too late to get started on a real outdoor garden up north (central Maine)? I know flowering starts later up there than it does where I'm used to, but I'm worried that going up there now and getting started would simply be too late for big (1lb+) outdoor plants.

Thoughts?

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
I think it would work

I think it would work

Need a spot with a lot of sun and plan on 1/2 per plant. Put out a bunch about 5 feet apart and once established feed often and I bet it's worth the time but you better hurry. It's farming so it's all about the weather but there is certianly time to grow some good sized bushes before fall. Put as much as you can into them and they will make you proud and support the shit out of them.

BlackBart

Veteran
If the jet stream doesn't change pretty soon we all will be in a world of hurt . Its been a crappy spring do to lots of cloudy days and cool temperatures .

I have seen some peoples plants that are outside right now and they are not liking the weather with the cold and wind .

I usually plant on memorial day but I'm holding off till next week hopefully we will get a stretch of good weather because my plants are screaming to get out of there smaller pots and in to there big smarties .